PDA

View Full Version : Be careful in Houston

stxfootballfan
12-19-2006, 12:55 PM
By JOE STINEBAKER
Associated Press Writer

HOUSTON (AP) -- A rapist who preys on young men has struck five times in the Houston area since mid-September, and police said Monday there may be even more victims, but they are too ashamed to come forward.
The rapist typically stalks, robs and sexually assaults his victims at gunpoint, apparently choosing them at random and attacking them near or inside their homes, police said. The most recent attack was Nov. 30.
"I wish we had a link between the victims, because we might have a better chance of catching him," said Lt. Richard Whitaker of the police department in Baytown, where two of the attacks took place. "We don't have any affirmative links at all."
He said some victims may be reluctant to come forward because of their ages and "a pride thing" that makes men more reluctant to acknowledge being the victim of a sex crime.
Investigators believe that rape is the motive, even though some victims were robbed. DNA testing is under way in an effort to identify the attacker.
In some cases, the attacker approached his victim outside their home. Other times, he broke into the home.
"I think he just sees one that he prefers, and then he begins to follow them and gather information, finding out where they live and watching their house," Whitaker said.
Victims have described the attacker as a clean-shaven black man, 18 to 21 years old, 5-foot-6 to 6 feet tall, with a shaved head.
The victims have all been men in their late teens.

Maroon87
12-19-2006, 01:01 PM
As a citizen of Houston, this doesn't surprise me at all. The 10 o'clock news here is like some odd reality show. The first half dozen stories every night (EVERY NIGHT!) are about murders and rapes. Sad...:(

AP Panther Fan
12-19-2006, 01:06 PM
I guess truth is stranger than fiction....this guy must really study the strength of his victims. Maybe one of them will fool him and just beat the crap out of him.

SWMustang
12-19-2006, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
As a citizen of Houston, this doesn't surprise me at all. The 10 o'clock news here is like some odd reality show. The first half dozen stories every night (EVERY NIGHT!) are about murders and rapes. Sad...:(

it's a show put on to get ratings. getting relevent and pertinent information out there is not there primary concern.

That fella better be ready to pull the trigger if he visits me.

SWMustang
12-19-2006, 01:23 PM
I have something to confess - this person did visit me. I was too ashamed to admit it. To add insult to injury my wife snapped a picture.

injuredinmelee
12-19-2006, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
I guess truth is stranger than fiction....this guy must really study the strength of his victims. Maybe one of them will fool him and just beat the crap out of him.

I was thinking the same thing. Your gonna have to be a bad bad dude to get me like that.

bulldogman06
12-19-2006, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
I have something to confess - this person did visit me. I was too ashamed to admit it. To add insult to injury my wife snapped a picture.

hahaha

SWMustang
12-19-2006, 02:01 PM
he surpised me and I thought it was Reggie due to the MO.

Maroon87
12-19-2006, 02:04 PM

Oh no you didn't...:eek: :p

pirate4state
12-19-2006, 02:07 PM

:rolleyes: Not a laughing matter. :mad:

SWMustang
12-19-2006, 02:08 PM
I'll second that.

Phil C
12-19-2006, 04:08 PM
I have walked in the worse part of downtown Houston and wasn't bothered at all. This was about 30 years ago. Of course I was dressed like a tramp so they probably figured I didn't have any money and wasn't worth fooling with. Actaully they were right.

:D

injuredinmelee
12-19-2006, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I have walked in the worse part of downtown Houston and wasn't bothered at all. This was about 30 years ago. Of course I was dressed like a tramp so they probably figured I didn't have any money and wasn't worth fooling with. Actaully they were right.

:D

downtown is like Disney World compared to the 4th and esp the 5th Wards.

Phil C
12-19-2006, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee

I actually met the south part. It was a rough looking part. It wasn't the downdown area where all the tall buildings are. Of course this was over 30 years ago.

injuredinmelee
12-19-2006, 04:58 PM
That might be part fo China Town now. I wouldnt want to walk anywhere down there at all. I am glad they have cleaned up alot of the area around Minute Maid.

SWMustang
12-19-2006, 05:29 PM

used to go down there frequently when I worked in the field. I was probably the only person without a felony conviction for miles around. I looked so out of place they thought I had to be a cop. No one ever messed with me there.

injuredinmelee
12-19-2006, 05:32 PM
I used to live jsut north of downtown off of Cavalcade. That was an experience in itself. Lots of stories from that short time span.

SWMustang
12-19-2006, 05:33 PM
I used to live jsut north of downtown off of Cavalcade. That was an experience in itself. Lots of stories from that short time span.

you was in the ghetto my friend

injuredinmelee
12-19-2006, 05:36 PM
Oh I def was in the ghetto.