PDA

View Full Version : Vikings to start a 1-AA Rookie at QB on Sunday

Adidas410s
12-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Minnesota Vikings fans may get what they wished for after they showered quarterback Brad Johnson with boos on Sunday in the Vikings' 26-13 loss to the Jets in the Metrodome.

According to reports, head coach Brad Childress announced at a team meeting Monday afternoon that rookie Tarvaris Jackson will start ahead of the veteran Johnson.

Childress was unavailable for comment on Monday, but he said Monday evening on his weekly radio show on KFAN-AM that the team was "still mulling that over. We'll see as it goes."

Jackson relieved Johnson on Sunday and completed 14 of 23 passes for 177 yards and one touchdown with one interception.

Johnson, who started the first 14 games for the 6-8 Vikings, was 10 of 17 for 96 yards and one touchdown Sunday.

Throughout the season, Jackson has lauded Johnson's willingness to help him to get accustomed to the NFL game, which is light years ahead of what he saw playing at Division I-AA Alabama State.

Johnson, in turn, has praised Jackson's physical skills and appetite for learning.

After being yanked on Sunday, the veteran pulled the rookie aside and gave him a few kind words, despite the awkwardness of the situation.

"He just told me to go out there and just have fun, play smart. And I appreciate that," Jackson said. "A lot of the stuff I did out there, he helped me just by watching him. It's hard to see him go out like that."

Jackson displayed much more mobility than the 38-year-old Johnson, avoiding a couple of sacks and tucking the ball and running on several occasions.

He also showed a very strong arm, but did appear to telegraph several passes, including one that was intercepted in the end zone.

"I thought he did some OK things with the bright lights on," Childress said.

The lights will certainly be very bright on Thursday night at Lambeau Field in a matchup of 6-8 teams clinging to the slimmest of playoff hopes.

"Of course," Jackson said. "It'd be fun to go into Lambeau. I've never even been there. I always watch guys play there, so it'd be fun."