PDA

View Full Version : Cal & Texas A&M: huge contrast as universities & football teams...

g$$
12-19-2006, 07:09 AM
Just wondering, could there be more of a contrast between California (Berkeley) & Texas A&M as universities or in style as football teams?

Cal is known as a great academic public institution & VERY liberal (emphasis on Arts/Literature, Business, Social Sciences, etc.).

A&M is known as a fine academic public institution & VERY conservative (emphasis on Engineering, Agriculture, Biomedical Sciences, etc.).

&

Cal is an explosive football team known for a high-powered, finesse passing attack in the true West Coast style.

A&M is a ball control, ground-oriented team known for a physical, smash-mouth style of play.

California Cool Hippies play Texas Good Ol' Boys!

I cannot think of 2 more different universities or 2 more different teams. (& even much more different than Texas & Texas A&M as universities for sure)

Hope it's a good game on December 28th!

BTEXDAD
12-19-2006, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by g$$

Cal is an explosive football team known for a high-powered, finesse passing attack in the true West Coast style.

A&M is a ball control, ground-oriented team known for a physical, smash-mouth style of play.

California Cool Hippies play Texas Good Ol' Boys!

I cannot think of 2 more different universities or 2 more different teams. (& even much more different than Texas & Texas A&M as universities for sure)

Hope it's a good game on December 28th!

I hope aggies win. I picked them in my bowl pot.

stxfootballfan
12-19-2006, 09:43 AM
i hope its not a good game and the aggies blow them out

JJ7997
12-19-2006, 11:00 AM
Since I'm new here, I'll let you know that I am an Aggie to the death, and I hope its worse than a couple years back when Tech embarrased Cal after they had cried about how good they were and didt get into the NC game.

sahen
12-19-2006, 11:45 PM
dont let cal's west coast offense fool you, they have the 13th leading rusher (yards) in D1a in Lynch...they can run the ball very well....

g$$
12-20-2006, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by sahen
dont let cal's west coast offense fool you, they have the 13th leading rusher (yards) in D1a in Lynch...they can run the ball very well....

Oh, I know that. Lynch is a big-timer & future NFL player.

But, I do think they are suspect to a physical running attack like A&M will show them in San Diego. It could be a shoot-out, like who has the ball last.

Adidas410s
12-20-2006, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Oh, I know that. Lynch is a big-timer & future NFL player.

But, I do think they are suspect to a physical running attack like A&M will show them in San Diego. It could be a shoot-out, like who has the ball last.
The one solid running team they faced (Tennessee) did very well against them! ;)

g$$
12-20-2006, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
The one solid running team they faced (Tennessee) did very well against them! ;)

Great point, & Arizona did well too in another loss.

buff4life
12-20-2006, 06:15 PM
A totally different Cal team will appear in this year's Holiday Bowl becuase they won't be sour over missing out on a BCS Game and they will be ready to hit the Aggies in the mouth....

A&M is not a true smashmouth football team in my opinion..yes when the fat@ss lineman Lane runs maybe....but they run the speed option with quickness...not huge power...A&M compares nothing to the smashmouth teams of Nebraska and others...sometimes its misdirection with the Triple Option out of the SHotgun

g$$
12-20-2006, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
A totally different Cal team will appear in this year's Holiday Bowl becuase they won't be sour over missing out on a BCS Game and they will be ready to hit the Aggies in the mouth....

A&M is not a true smashmouth football team in my opinion..yes when the fat@ss lineman Lane runs maybe....but they run the speed option with quickness...not huge power...A&M compares nothing to the smashmouth teams of Nebraska and others...sometimes its misdirection with the Triple Option out of the SHotgun

Whatever you want to call it, but that A&M team ran all over Texas for 244 yds. this year & last year for 275 yds. Texas was ranked as the #1 rush defense in the nation this year too (allowing 42 yds. per game).

I was referring to a power running team, & that does apply to A&M any way you slice it. Running the ball has not been a problem all year. Option, counters, power plays, gut, zone, it is all the same in the end. Line up & here we come.

buff4life
12-20-2006, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Whatever you want to call it, but that A&M team ran all over Texas for 244 yds. this year & last year for 275 yds. Texas was ranked as the #1 rush defense in the nation this year too (allowing 42 yds. per game).

I was referring to a power running team, & that does apply to A&M any way you slice it. Running the ball has not been a problem all year. Option, counters, power plays, gut, zone, it is all the same in the end. Line up & here we come.

I'm sry that you stated "smashmouth" and i had to disagree with the opinion BUT your tellin me that pitching the ball to Goodson and lettin him run around people is power football? don't get me wrong Lane is the power part...but thatz not a majority...but i still have Cal by 17

JJ7997
12-20-2006, 06:55 PM

Give me an break ! Cal is the one whos gonna get hit in the mouth. The pac ten is a joke as this years bowl season is about to prove.

JJ7997
12-20-2006, 06:57 PM
Cal is overrated like your Buffs were !

JasperDog94
12-20-2006, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Texas (A&M) Good Ol' Boys! Didn't we have a discussion previously about the "rural" kids from A&M? Maybe that's not what you meant, but that's the way it read to me anyway.

g$$
12-20-2006, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Didn't we have a discussion previously about the "rural" kids from A&M? Maybe that's not what you meant, but that's the way it read to me anyway.

It's an expression dude, & one I am proud of too. Where do you think the term "t-sips" came from?

A&M = good ol' boys who prefer beer
Texas = haughty tea sippers

Just relaying the origin of the name, that's all. Not picking sides.

g$$
12-20-2006, 07:19 PM
I'm sry that you stated "smashmouth" and i had to disagree with the opinion BUT your tellin me that pitching the ball to Goodson and lettin him run around people is power football? don't get me wrong Lane is the power part...but thatz not a majority...but i still have Cal by 17

Yes, I would call A&M a smash-mouth team. Have you checked the rushing totals on the year? Lane is among the leaders nationally in tds. A&M controlled the LOS vs. Texas, regarded as a very physical front, etc. A&M does not run true triple option anyway. Option is part of the attack, no doubt, but A&M runs the standard running plays out of different formations too (fullback, etc.).

Would you call it finesse? Of course not, & that was the point.

JJ7997
12-20-2006, 07:20 PM
I'm a good ole boy and proud of it !

GOFOR2
12-21-2006, 03:03 PM
Stephen McGee is unlike any other quarterback to come out of the Big XII in recent years. What he does not have in athleticism (which he does possess much of) he makes up for in intelligence and wisdom. Their running game and McGee's field generalship will keep Cal's offense off of the field. A&M 19, Cal 17.

buff4life
12-21-2006, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by JJ7997
Cal is overrated like your Buffs were !

yup you so hit that one square in the nose...so your calling Wimberley and WOS overrated too aren't you? your calling one of the top four teams in the state overrated who lost to the state champions? ya right..stay in hell paso where football sucks

buff4life
12-21-2006, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Yes, I would call A&M a smash-mouth team. Have you checked the rushing totals on the year? Lane is among the leaders nationally in tds. A&M controlled the LOS vs. Texas, regarded as a very physical front, etc. A&M does not run true triple option anyway. Option is part of the attack, no doubt, but A&M runs the standard running plays out of different formations too (fullback, etc.).

Would you call it finesse? Of course not, & that was the point.

whatever...it seems pointless to get my point across to you..in my eyes a smashmouth team is a team that lines up and runs it for four or five yards a time in between the tackles..kinda like LH...not A&M who runs outside and breaks long runs

JJ7997
12-21-2006, 06:27 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Aesculus gilmus
12-21-2006, 06:55 PM
I've heard it all now. The predominant political philosophy of the students and professors somehow has a bearing on a football game. Give me a break!

I hope A&M wins, but I hope that because they are from Texas and I am for them in every game other than when they play the Longhorns or maybe Tech, whom I sometimes pull for when they get hot every few years.

But it has nothing to do with politics or I'd likely root for anyone BUT the Ags.

bulldogman06
12-22-2006, 01:37 AM
haha lanes fat whatever you wanna call it can outrun you too, buff4life. by the way, when Javorskie trucks every person on a defense, would you not call that power football? of course Goodsen may be the fastest man alive, but smasmouth football means pounding it on the ground. being physical up front. just because a guy is fast doesnt mean the team doesnt play smashmouth football. you need to know your vocabulary before using words to big for ya buddy. oh and by the way, Lane got way more carries than goodsen, 159 to 114, which, in the minds of most americans, means he got the majority.... cant really argue with that bud.

buff4life
12-22-2006, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by bulldogman06
haha lanes fat whatever you wanna call it can outrun you too, buff4life. by the way, when Javorskie trucks every person on a defense, would you not call that power football? of course Goodsen may be the fastest man alive, but smasmouth football means pounding it on the ground. being physical up front. just because a guy is fast doesnt mean the team doesnt play smashmouth football. you need to know your vocabulary before using words to big for ya buddy. oh and by the way, Lane got way more carries than goodsen, 159 to 114, which, in the minds of most americans, means he got the majority.... cant really argue with that bud.

ok bud...no crap Lane can prolly outrun me...thatz why he is a D1 athlete and not me..even though it would be a close race...and i guess the idea of "smashmouth" football is changed...keep thinkin your some big bad dude "proving" me wrong when in an earlier quote i never said A&M wasn't a power running team, i said they were not a smashmouth team in my opinion because i think a true smashmouth team will run HB Dive or Smash 40 times a game a the RB will run right up the Lineman's butt for 4 yards or a triple option like the old Nebraska, but who knows i guess i'm just an idiot....o and by the way, i will guarantee my IQ is way higher and my vocabulary way bigger...but who knows your unestablished idea might catch up one day

BTEXDAD
12-22-2006, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by g$$
It's an expression dude, & one I am proud of too. Where do you think the term "t-sips" came from?

A&M = good ol' boys who prefer beer
Texas = haughty tea sippers

Just relaying the origin of the name, that's all. Not picking sides.

From internet on origin of tea sip:

So I'll give a little background for those who are not familiar with Texas. There are three big schools in Texas. texas tech university in Lubock. texas a & m university in college station, and the university of texas at austin. members of tech are known as red raiders. members of a & m are known as aggies, and members of texas at austin are known as tea sippers. This is because Austin serves as a conservative oasis in a movement of neo-conservatism state wide. Whereas your typical aggie or red raider can be found doing fine work in their field, your typical tea sipper can be found telling them what to do and sipping tea.

JJ7997
12-22-2006, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD

So I'll give a little background for those who are not familiar with Texas. There are three big schools in Texas. texas tech university in Lubock. texas a & m university in college station, and the university of texas at austin. members of tech are known as red raiders. members of a & m are known as aggies, and members of texas at austin are known as tea sippers. This is because Austin serves as a conservative oasis in a movement of neo-conservatism state wide. Whereas your typical aggie or red raider can be found doing fine work in their field, your typical tea sipper can be found telling them what to do and sipping tea.

I would have to beg the differ, as Austin more closely resembles a Liberal oasis in a Coservative state. Not much different than LA or Boston.

YBS
12-23-2006, 01:37 PM
t-sip was created by Ags who felt that texas students were uppity and self-righteous. It was almost a way of comparing them to the British. British-> Boston Tea Party -> t-sips.

JasperDog94
12-23-2006, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by YBS
t-sip was created by Ags who felt that texas students were uppity and self-righteous. It was almost a way of comparing them to the British. British-> Boston Tea Party -> t-sips. In other words...lame.

buff4life
12-29-2006, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by JJ7997
Give me an break ! Cal is the one whos gonna get hit in the mouth. The pac ten is a joke as this years bowl season is about to prove.

wow...you predicted that one good

Bandera YaYa
12-29-2006, 01:29 AM
wow...you predicted that one good YOu took the words right out of my mouth!!! :p :p

hutex04
12-29-2006, 02:11 AM
to Aggie i say HA HA! :D

Old Tiger
12-29-2006, 06:53 AM
I've been drinking and playing poker all night...and for what reason....FUN! Keep the downlow FUN!

g$$
01-02-2007, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
I've heard it all now. The predominant political philosophy of the students and professors somehow has a bearing on a football game. Give me a break!

I hope A&M wins, but I hope that because they are from Texas and I am for them in every game other than when they play the Longhorns or maybe Tech, whom I sometimes pull for when they get hot every few years.

But it has nothing to do with politics or I'd likely root for anyone BUT the Ags.

Where did I ever say political philosophies of a school would affect the game in any way? I simply said it was an interesting contrast, that's all.

Cal dominated the game in the 2nd half & deserved to win. No excuses, Cal was more physical & flat beat A&M. A&M must improve its vertical passing game & get more athletes on defense to take the next step. Passive, read & react defense was shot full of holes all night long. A&M's rushing #s were not that bad, but A&M just did not make enough plays & Cal was the better team. Next year will be tough too, esp. on the road. Disappointing way to end the season.

g$$
01-02-2007, 06:23 PM

This is because Austin serves as a conservative oasis in a movement of neo-conservatism state wide.

I hope you are kidding - Austin, TX is a very liberal city. Voting returns prove that every time, plus the influx of musicians, actors, Silicon Valley of the South, hippies, etc. Austin is a great city, but conservative it is not. Do the research buddy!

The term "tea sips" goes way back as I mentioned earlier in this thread. And last time I checked, there were lots of Aggies & Horns serving as bosses too. Your internet site reference is nothing except lame & inaccurate. Texas Tech is not in the same sentence academically as either A&M or Texas. That is not even up for debate.

JHS_c/o_06'
01-03-2007, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Texas Tech is not in the same sentence academically as either A&M or Texas. That is not even up for debate.

Wow...so you got a degree from A&M and Tech......thats impressive.....seeing as how thats pretty much the only way you can make a statement like that.

g$$
01-04-2007, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
Wow...so you got a degree from A&M and Tech......thats impressive.....seeing as how thats pretty much the only way you can make a statement like that.

No, I have a degree from Texas A&M only, thanks. What does your statement even mean? I have worked in Athletics for years, including the Academic realm, so yes I have some background youngster. Maybe you should do your homework before popping off. Tech is a lesser school academically by any criteria, period. That is not a knock, just reality. A&M has things Texas does not, & Texas has things A&M does not. We do studies & surveys of schools across the country & I can tell you things about many of them. It is eye-opening to say the least.

At Michigan, athletes do not even go to class with the regular student body (& Michigan is a fine school).
At Stanford, students canot fail a class (just get Incomplete, make-up work).
At Nebraska, students can drop a class the day before Finals with NO RECORD. That makes it awful easy to maintain a good GPA huh? Take 15-18 hrs., then drop down to 12. Those are just a few.

BTEXDAD
01-04-2007, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I hope you are kidding - Austin, TX is a very liberal city. Voting returns prove that every time, plus the influx of musicians, actors, Silicon Valley of the South, hippies, etc. Austin is a great city, but conservative it is not. Do the research buddy!

The term "tea sips" goes way back as I mentioned earlier in this thread. And last time I checked, there were lots of Aggies & Horns serving as bosses too. Your internet site reference is nothing except lame & inaccurate. Texas Tech is not in the same sentence academically as either A&M or Texas. That is not even up for debate.

Don't kill the messenger, g$$. I'm just passing on what the site said.
Maybe it was a tongue in cheek type statement they were making, but it wasn't a quote from me.
They don't consider texas to have any liberals. Only conservatives and neo conservatives. Their definition of those two terms goes all the way back to time of viet nam war in 60's.
I'll get the website for you if you want to do the research, buddy.

g$$
01-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Don't kill the messenger, g$$. I'm just passing on what the site said.
Maybe it was a tongue in cheek type statement they were making, but it wasn't a quote from me.
They don't consider texas to have any liberals. Only conservatives and neo conservatives. Their definition of those two terms goes all the way back to time of viet nam war in 60's.
I'll get the website for you if you want to do the research, buddy.

Sounds like a website I should avoid. That is some bad info. IMO that has no merit. My reference was to the site, not you.

Austin & Denton are arguably the 2 most liberal cities in Texas.