PDA

View Full Version : John Brantley, Longhorn prize QB recruit, may be wavering/quotes from father...

g$$
12-19-2006, 05:36 AM
**Looks like the Brantley's are having 2nd thoughts as reported earlier...if so, Texas is in trouble for QB depth next year. Sherrod Harris & John Chiles (ATH) may get a shot at backing up Colt McCoy (still injured too) soon. Brantley's dad played at Florida & is still good friends with Bob Stoops from his coaching days at Florida too. John Brantley has said he prefers to redshirt his 1st year anyway, but this kid is a big-time QB recruit. See what happens...**

"There's not a lot to talk about right now," said Mr. Brantley. "The only thing that's been brought up is the question about distance. I don't know how serious that is right now but when he gets back we're going to sit down and talk about it. If that's a problem we need to talk about it. We just want to make sure he's doing the right thing."

"We still feel good about everything but Johnny has brought up a little bit the distance and that's what's got everybody thinking," he said. "When he gets back, we're going to make him sit down and tell us if that's a problem. If it is, everyone needs to know."

"But I don't even think there's a situation. If there is, if it comes to a decision or a change, it will be done as soon as possible. That's just the philosophy of our family. We try to be ethical people and we're going to do what's right. If distance is a problem and Johnny decides something else, it will be done right away. I can guarantee it. We won't let time pass because Texas has obligations to do things and Johnny has obligations. We've been by the book with this whole process and we're not going to change now."

Gobbler Fan
12-19-2006, 06:41 AM
To much is being made of this ...I myself would like to see John Chiles be the next QB *a Vince clone* dual threat 5 star QB . Though it would be nice to see the battle for the QB spot between Brantley and Chiles .

I know they want to put Chiles as WR but he need's to get a shot at QB or Brantley will not be the only prospect they are likley to lose .

g$$
12-19-2006, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
To much is being made of this ...I myself would like to see John Chiles be the next QB *a Vince clone* dual threat 5 star QB . Though it would be nice to see the battle for the QB spot between Brantley and Chiles .

I know they want to put Chiles as WR but he need's to get a shot at QB or Brantley will not be the only prospect they are likley to lose .

I respect what you are saying, but IMO too many Longhorns are looking for the "next Vince Young". There are not too many 6'5" 230 lb. physical freaks running around like that guy last time I checked. Plus add the leadership & winner's mentality he brings to the table, & good luck finding the next one. Those kind come around once if you are lucky.

The NBA has annointed a bunch to be the "next Jordan" & they have come up empty every time. Kobe Bryant would probably be the closest, but even he falls short of MJ's stature.

I have seen John Chiles play, & no doubt he is a great athlete. I do not think he will be the guy you want at QB. He will certainly be on the field somewhere soon (WR or DB), but that is just my opinion. He has a lot of growing up to do as well.

BTEXDAD
12-19-2006, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by g$$

I like this about Brantley anyway. I really dislike when some of these star recruits turn their decision into a media circus or change their mind on signing day. It puts a real strain on the recruiting process for many coaches. HOWEVER, I do realize that coaches aren't always ethical either.

Originally posted by g$$
[B]I respect what you are saying, but IMO too many Longhorns are looking for the "next Vince Young". There are not too many 6'5" 230 lb. physical freaks running around like that guy last time I checked. Plus add the leadership & winner's mentality he brings to the table, & good luck finding the next one. Those kind come around once if you are lucky.

I agree with this. Mack has had a good thing going with his recruiting for a lot of years. I don't think he's necessarily looking for the next VY, but I know many of the fans are.

Old Tiger
12-19-2006, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by g$$
I respect what you are saying, but IMO too many Longhorns are looking for the "next Vince Young". There are not too many 6'5" 230 lb. physical freaks running around like that guy last time I checked. Plus add the leadership & winner's mentality he brings to the table, & good luck finding the next one. Those kind come around once if you are lucky.

The NBA has annointed a bunch to be the "next Jordan" & they have come up empty every time. Kobe Bryant would probably be the closest, but even he falls short of MJ's stature.

I have seen John Chiles play, & no doubt he is a great athlete. I do not think he will be the guy you want at QB. He will certainly be on the field somewhere soon (WR or DB), but that is just my opinion. He has a lot of growing up to do as well. LeBron is the best :)

Phil C
12-19-2006, 09:54 AM
One thing the NCAA needs to do is make a rule that recruits can't be contacted when they make verbal comittments. Of course if the recruit makes the contact that is different and ok.
There is no more Vince Young. He is one of a kind. You don't replace a Vince Young. You just fill the position as best you can.

Adidas410s
12-19-2006, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by g$$
"But I don't even think there's a situation. If there is, if it comes to a decision or a change, it will be done as soon as possible. That's just the philosophy of our family. We try to be ethical people and we're going to do what's right. If distance is a problem and Johnny decides something else, it will be done right away. I can guarantee it. We won't let time pass because Texas has obligations to do things and Johnny has obligations. We've been by the book with this whole process and we're not going to change now."

I don't like them trying to spin themsevles one way or another. If you make a commitment to somebody...you stick with it. That's the right thing to do. They're counting on you to hold up your end of the bargain just as much as you expect them to hold up their end of the bargain. End of story...

Txbroadcaster
12-19-2006, 10:10 AM
IF what they say is true then OU would be out as well, cause distance is supposedly their concern

Maroon87
12-19-2006, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
I really dislike when some of these star recruits turn their decision into a media circus or change their mind on signing day.

No kidding. Which reminds me...what's Ryan Perrilloux up to these days?:thinking:

Adidas410s
12-19-2006, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
No kidding. Which reminds me...what's Ryan Perrilloux up to these days?:thinking:

http://www.fivestarbilliards.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/2010LSU.jpg

Maroon87
12-19-2006, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s

Well at least it's a damn nice bench!:p

BTEXDAD
12-19-2006, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87

That was one that Mack is probably glad got away. Depth chart at QB for LSU below. Perrilloux said he didn't want to come to UT because they wanted to redshirt him, but they did at LSU anyway.
Of course he was Louisiana guy so I guess he's okay with things down there.
JaMarcus Russell has been playing well past two yrs and I don't see Perrilloux getting much if any playing time next yr either.

2 JaMarcus Russell | 6-5, 248, Jr., 2V
15 Matt Flynn | 6-2, 230, Jr., 2V
11 Ryan Perrilloux | 6-2, 207, Fr., RS

Old Tiger
12-19-2006, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan

I know they want to put Chiles as WR but he need's to get a shot at QB or Brantley will not be the only prospect they are likley to lose . Chiles will get his shot in the spring at QB even though he is being recruited as an ATH he is also as a QB.

Phil C
12-19-2006, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

big daddy russ
12-19-2006, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
LeBron is the best :)
Want to teach him how to play defense?

big daddy russ
12-19-2006, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
That was one that Mack is probably glad got away. Depth chart at QB for LSU below. Perrilloux said he didn't want to come to UT because they wanted to redshirt him, but they did at LSU anyway.
Of course he was Louisiana guy so I guess he's okay with things down there.
JaMarcus Russell has been playing well past two yrs and I don't see Perrilloux getting much if any playing time next yr either.

2 JaMarcus Russell | 6-5, 248, Jr., 2V
15 Matt Flynn | 6-2, 230, Jr., 2V
11 Ryan Perrilloux | 6-2, 207, Fr., RS
If Russell comes out this year, they're saying he'll wind up being a top-ten pick.

Adidas410s
12-19-2006, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
If Russell comes out this year, they're saying he'll wind up being a top-ten pick.

I heard Mel Kiper say that on M&M last week. I was shocked to say the least...

Old Tiger
12-19-2006, 01:43 PM
Want to teach him how to play defense? Michael wasn't that good at defense either

big daddy russ
12-19-2006, 01:56 PM
Michael wasn't that good at defense either
I don't know about that one. He wasn't good at D for his first two years in the league, then he was one of the best in the league from there out. Won the NBA defensive POY in '88 and was a first team All-Defensive NBAer from the '87-'88 season until the '92-'93 season (his first retirement) and again from '95-'96 through '97-'98 (his second retirement). We can legitimately say that MJ was a first teamer for nine of his 12 years in the league. If you count his two years with Washington as 'legit,' then it was for nine of his 14 years in the league.

IMO, MJ was the best defensive wing player in the league from the late-80's through the late-90's. Sure, guys like Michael Cooper, Dennis Rodman, and Gary Payton were great, too, but MJ could change the game like only big men could up unto that point. I even thought he was better than Payton.

Phil C
12-19-2006, 02:31 PM
We remember President Ford as the President but from 1932 to 1934 he was a star football player at the University of Michigan which won the MNC in 1932 and 1933 and Ford was voted the MVP of the Michigan Team of 1934. He was center. See picture below.
In 1932 Michigan went 8 - 0 - 0.
In 1933 Michigan went 7 - 0 - 1.

In 1934 his senior year Michigan had a hard time going 1 - 7 - 0.

Still not a bad two years in 1932 and 1933 winning them all except for a tie.

http://www.ford.utexas.edu/avproj/hseries/h14-1.gif

LitanyofFury
12-19-2006, 04:38 PM
Yeah, for some reason Gator fans think they're gonna get Brantley since his folks are Gator fans. . .

Fact is, it would probably be the stupidest move of Brantley's short and non-existent career if he decided on Florida. They've got Timmy Tebow who's alreadt a living legend there on campus and will be even more so if the Gators somehow pull the upset over the Buckeyes.

So, Brantley would ride the pine for at least 2-3 years before he ever got a shot at starting because they'd NEVER take the job from Tebow unless he got seriously injured. At Texas, Brantley will get thrown into the mix right away (tho he wants to redshirt) and will have an equal chance to get the starting job.

Also, look at Florida's scheme. Meyer wants a QB that can run and be mobile for his craptastic offense that hasn't produced like it was supposed to yet. At Texas. . .we run the spread and are continually near the top in points per game, etc.

Last but not least. . .just the other day the Gators signed some African-American prep-school QB who's 6'4 225 and runs a 4.5. They all seemed really excited at his commit. . .doesn't really look like the Gator staff is planning on landing Brantley.

Still, I hope the kid makes the decision that's best for him. Texas is a long way from Florida and the folks. If he decides to go elsewhere, cool, I just hope he doesn't wait until the last second and keep us from hunting down other good recruits. From everything I hear Chiles is a freak of nature, a Reggie Bush type. He wants to play QB but he might end up as a scatback/receiver who also runs plays from behind the center some as well.

big daddy russ
12-19-2006, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by LitanyofFury
Fact is, it would probably be the stupidest move of Brantley's short and non-existent career if he decided on Florida. They've got Timmy Tebow who's alreadt a living legend there on campus and will be even more so if the Gators somehow pull the upset over the Buckeyes.

So, Brantley would ride the pine for at least 2-3 years before he ever got a shot at starting because they'd NEVER take the job from Tebow unless he got seriously injured. At Texas, Brantley will get thrown into the mix right away (tho he wants to redshirt) and will have an equal chance to get the starting job.

Also, look at Florida's scheme. Meyer wants a QB that can run and be mobile for his craptastic offense that hasn't produced like it was supposed to yet. At Texas. . .we run the spread and are continually near the top in points per game, etc.

Last but not least. . .just the other day the Gators signed some African-American prep-school QB who's 6'4 225 and runs a 4.5. They all seemed really excited at his commit. . .doesn't really look like the Gator staff is planning on landing Brantley.

Still, I hope the kid makes the decision that's best for him. Texas is a long way from Florida and the folks. If he decides to go elsewhere, cool, I just hope he doesn't wait until the last second and keep us from hunting down other good recruits. From everything I hear Chiles is a freak of nature, a Reggie Bush type. He wants to play QB but he might end up as a scatback/receiver who also runs plays from behind the center some as well.
OK, so you want him to go from one school where the starter will be a sophomore (Florida) to another where the starter will be a sophomore (Texas) because he'll get to play for one spread offense (Greg Davis') instead of another?

Florida commit Cameron Newton's a great four star prospect, but so is Sherrod Harris, a guy who already has a year on both Brantley and Newton.

So exactly how does this help him out? And don't tell me that he can compete immediately. No matter how much credit everyone tries to take away from Colt, he was one of the best QB's in America last year, with or without the talent surrounding him. Nobody this side of Vince Young is going to unseat him and nobody this side of Vince Young should.

The Gator staff would've signed Newton even if they planned on landing another QB, so don't play that card.

g$$
12-19-2006, 06:13 PM
LeBron is the best :)

Maybe in time, but until he puts a league on his back & wins about 6 rings, he is not there yet. I do like Lebron's game & the way he handles himself. Time will tell...

g$$
12-19-2006, 06:21 PM
Michael wasn't that good at defense either

You are having a bad week. MJ was better than good, like making All-NBA 1st Team Defense many times & leading the lead in steals also. He played both ends to say the least.

Between this comment, TO, & other stuff, you might just want to call it a year & start over after New Year's!

bandera7
12-19-2006, 06:27 PM
LeBron is amazing. He has carried a Cavalier team with absolutely NO talent into the playoffs. Michael had talent around him. Not the best, but it was good quality. Scottie Pippen especially. And LeBron almost got to the finals without any help from anybody. LeBron has far from come up short. He has been just as incredible as they thought he would be. And as for the Next Vince Young...they are hard to find, and he wont be coming right after VY, it will probably be a while, seeing as how LeBron didnt come immediately after MJ.

g$$
12-19-2006, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by bandera7
LeBron is amazing. He has carried a Cavalier team with absolutely NO talent into the playoffs. Michael had talent around him. Not the best, but it was good quality. Scottie Pippen especially. And LeBron almost got to the finals without any help from anybody. LeBron has far from come up short. He has been just as incredible as they thought he would be. And as for the Next Vince Young...they are hard to find, and he wont be coming right after VY, it will probably be a while, seeing as how LeBron didnt come immediately after MJ.

I like LeBron James, but to compare him to MJ this early is not fair. Let it play out, but you are wrong about MJ & talent. They were called Michael & the Jordanaires for years as he carried them. Pippen obviously developed, but the rest were just role players (Paxson, Cartwright, Grant, Kerr, etc.).

Give it time...LeBron is his own man. MJ has a bunch of rings, carried a league on his back, changed the way to market sports & advertising, & even changed fashion. LeBron is still growing as a player.

LitanyofFury
12-19-2006, 06:56 PM
OK, so you want him to go from one school where the starter will be a sophomore (Florida) to another where the starter will be a sophomore (Texas) because he'll get to play for one spread offense (Greg Davis') instead of another?

Florida commit Cameron Newton's a great four star prospect, but so is Sherrod Harris, a guy who already has a year on both Brantley and Newton.

So exactly how does this help him out? And don't tell me that he can compete immediately. No matter how much credit everyone tries to take away from Colt, he was one of the best QB's in America last year, with or without the talent surrounding him. Nobody this side of Vince Young is going to unseat him and nobody this side of Vince Young should.

The Gator staff would've signed Newton even if they planned on landing another QB, so don't play that card.

Um, Sherrod was a 3-star and we haven't heard a peep out of him since he arrived on campus. Probably because of him redshirting, but with Chiles/Brantley coming in he's going to be hard pressed to ever get the starting job. Sherrod was a 3-star (http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=23432)

Florida has only scored more than 30 points this year in 4 games. Against Southern Miss (terrible team), UCF (terrible team), West Carolina (D2 I believe), and they finally got it going against Arkansas for 38 points in the SEC championship game. Also, their defense has been scoring a lot of those points this season.

Also, Colt has now shown himself not to be invulnerable. He was obviously not 100% in the TAMU game (not an excuse, a fact) and we've yet to see if he's going to be the same QB he was before the KSU game.

I don't know how Meyer runs his team, but I do know how Mack runs his. From Applewhite/Simms to McCoy/Snead. . .Mack lets the QBs compete for the job and he's said as much. Heck, the only reason Chiles is coming to UT is because Mack said he'd have a shot at being the starting QB. The kid does NOT want to play any other position. So, I'd have to guess that Brantley will get equal consideration there.

Finally, let's address the original argument g$$ brought up about BRantley "wavering" on his commit. Funny why g$$ would bring up Longhorn business in the first place. . .but whatever. All these rumors have basically been started by Longhorn fans. They're scared that Brantley is going to do the same thing Perriloser did to us a few years ago. However, nothing in Brantley or his family's makeup suggests that they're the type of people to treat Mack and UT like that. You do realize that Brantley came calling to US first, right? Mack wasn't out trying to recruit this kid. Brantley's camp called Mack up. Also, he's been nothing but positive when asked about his experiences with Texas. I SUPPOSE it could all be smoke up our butts, but I sincerely doubt it. He told several of the other top level recruits at the banquet we had a week or so ago that he was as solid as ever on his commit and looking forward to coming and playing. His MySpace page is plastered with burnt orange/Longhorn stuff.

So, for him to back out now would be HIGHLY irregular. I mean, why would he? Other than the distance from his home there isn't any reason to pick Florida over UT, is there? Like you said, both schools have entrenched starters and other high level recruits at the position. I just really don't see him bailing on us this late in the game. Possible? I guess. Probable? Not really. If he does tho, like I said. . .good luck to him. Lord knows it's a tough decision that's going to affect the rest of his life!:)

Old Tiger
12-19-2006, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I like LeBron James, but to compare him to MJ this early is not fair. Let it play out, but you are wrong about MJ & talent. They were called Michael & the Jordanaires for years as he carried them. Pippen obviously developed, but the rest were just role players (Paxson, Cartwright, Grant, Kerr, etc.).

Give it time...LeBron is his own man. MJ has a bunch of rings, carried a league on his back, changed the way to market sports & advertising, & even changed fashion. LeBron is still growing as a player. Your stuck in the past home slice...lebron is the future.....MJ was the best ever and Lebron will be just as sucessful.

g$$
12-19-2006, 07:07 PM

Finally, let's address the original argument g$$ brought up about BRantley "wavering" on his commit. Funny why g$$ would bring up Longhorn business in the first place. . .but whatever.

West TX: Because this concerns college football, & the Big 12 in particular. I brought up a topic worthy of discussing. If you don't like it, vanish again.

It did not take long for you to start it up again, did it? I will ask you one more time: leave me alone. I have nothing to say to you.

LitanyofFury
12-19-2006, 07:09 PM
Your stuck in the past home slice...lebron is the future.....MJ was the best ever and Lebron will be just as sucessful.

LeBron just doesn't have the pieces around him yet that MJ had. Also, MJ didn't really blow up until a few years after he entered the league and he lost playoff games to the Pistons, etc.

If LeBron gets some talent around him I think he could take over the league like MJ did. Also, LeBron is like what. . .20 years old? MJ went through college first before landing in the league, so LeBron already has a head start.

g$$
12-19-2006, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by g$$
You are having a bad week. MJ was better than good, like making All-NBA 1st Team Defense many times & leading the lead in steals also. He played both ends to say the least.

Between this comment, TO, & other stuff, you might just want to call it a year & start over after New Year's!

Any reason why you said MJ did not play defense? Headache, memory loss, what? Quite possibly the dumbest thing you have ever posted.

I like LeBron, but he is not MJ, & until he proves it over time he won't be anytime soon. Being a great player does not make you MJ.

Old Tiger
12-19-2006, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Any reason why you said MJ did not play defense? Headache, memory loss, what? Quite possibly the dumbest thing you have ever posted.

I like LeBron, but he is not MJ, & until he proves it over time he won't be anytime soon. Being a great player does not make you MJ. He is proving he is good by carrying his team on his back :)

LitanyofFury
12-19-2006, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by g$$

I like LeBron, but he is not MJ, & until he proves it over time he won't be anytime soon. Being a great player does not make you MJ.

Did you just quote yourself and say that you just had the dumbest post ever?

CLASSIC!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

g$$
12-19-2006, 07:14 PM
Did you just quote yourself and say that you just had the dumbest post ever?

CLASSIC!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

No, I quoted myself West Tx in reply to what he said.

Tiger, why did you say that? Brain cramp or lack of knowledge?

big daddy russ
12-20-2006, 04:05 AM
First thing's first: depends on who you ask about Lebron. IMO, he's another Dominique Wilkins. Can carry a team to the playoffs and amazing in the highlights, but let's see if he can finish the job. Personally, I don't even think he's one of the top five players in the league. MAYBE top ten, but he's fringe at best.

And about Harris, depends on whom you ask (http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=1304173). I think Rivals was the only service in the U.S. to rank him three-star, so I'm going to go with Scout.com and all the others. Scout's always been a better judge of talent than Rivals, so let's see how this plays out and quote me in three- to four-years.

And nobody's invulnerable. Was Vince? Was Danny Wuerffel? Was Pat Sullivan. Hell no. Colt isn't, either, but this isn't exactly a career-ending-type of injury. He just came back too early.

Son, you've got some big-time burnt orange glasses on. Maybe one of these days you'll take them off. Until then, Colt's your starter and Brantley doesn't have a chance in Hell of starting for another two or three years. Colt's still a stud, and a pinched nerve is nothing that will sap his arm strength for years on-end. Nice try, but better luck next time.

LitanyofFury
12-20-2006, 05:51 AM
First thing's first: depends on who you ask about Lebron. IMO, he's another Dominique Wilkins. Can carry a team to the playoffs and amazing in the highlights, but let's see if he can finish the job. Personally, I don't even think he's one of the top five players in the league. MAYBE top ten, but he's fringe at best.

And about Harris, depends on whom you ask (http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=1304173). I think Rivals was the only service in the U.S. to rank him three-star, so I'm going to go with Scout.com and all the others. Scout's always been a better judge of talent than Rivals, so let's see how this plays out and quote me in three- to four-years.

And nobody's invulnerable. Was Vince? Was Danny Wuerffel? Was Pat Sullivan. Hell no. Colt isn't, either, but this isn't exactly a career-ending-type of injury. He just came back too early.

Son, you've got some big-time burnt orange glasses on. Maybe one of these days you'll take them off. Until then, Colt's your starter and Brantley doesn't have a chance in Hell of starting for another two or three years. Colt's still a stud, and a pinched nerve is nothing that will sap his arm strength for years on-end. Nice try, but better luck next time.

Maybe you should be saving the "nice try better luck next time" for those Auburn Tigers that you seem to be so hot on all the time. You and Tommy Tuberville could hang out and complain about how the Tigers always get shafted in the polls and whatnot. Then you could go out and lose to Arkansas and Georgia.:thumbsup:

And just so ya know. . .it's my OPINION. I love the Terror from Tuscola since he grew up and played right next door. I'm hoping like hell he's gonna come back 100%. However, if you think Mack is going to just let him have the job without any competition the next few years please, send me some of what you're smoking. Colt already had a year in the system and Jevan battled him for the starting spot all the way up until their first game with North Texas. Personally, I don't think anyone is going to take Colt's spot. He's a gamer. However, in my humble opinion, Brantley has just as good or better of a chance to start earlier for us than he does for Florida. The kid is a freak tossing the rock (IMHO better than that weirdo looking kid Clausen of the tape I saw of them both) and is probably the best pure QB Texas has ever had as a recruit.

In regards to Harris, yes he's looked very nice. Obviously you can't determine how good a player is off of some internet site's rankings alone. I think Mike Huff was listed as a 3 star everywhere and most places thought they were being generous with that ranking. Look how he turned out. If Sherrod turns out to be great, then awesome. However, we've had a lot of good QBs ride the pine at Texas because they had better guys in front of them. Chance Mock is the perfect example. That kid was actually a damn good QB. . .he just had the problem of this kid named Vince Young waiting behind him who everyone wanted in the game. He's now playing for the Austin Wranglers when he probably would have gone at least somewhere in the draft. Nordgren was a good QB as well. He tried out for the Eagles and almost made the team. Just had the misfortune of being on the wrong team with the wrong starting QB. Maybe Sherrod blows it up. Who knows. Still, whos to say that recruit the Gators pulled in who's like Sherrod doesn't hit it off big once Tebow gets done? All of football is based on OPINIONS until you actually get a guy in the game. Everyone thought Colt was going to be a liability and he turned out to be the backbone of the team. You just can't tell and so acting like things are set in stone is just ridiculous, don't you think?

Finally, just a question. How does having "big-time burnt orange glasses" have anything to do with our debate? We were talking about Brantley and Colt. . .both of whom are at the moment committed to the Texas program. I'd love to see Brantley show up at UT, redshirt, learn under Colt, watch Colt go into the NFL, and then step in and get 2 good years under center. Hopefully it happens that way but obviously I, nor anyone else, have the slightest idea what'll end up happening. Did anyone think Oklahoma was going to lose to the Horns, lose Adrian Peterson, lose Bomar, and then backdoor it into the Fiesta? Think the Ags thought they were going to coast through their cupcake schedule only to lose late to Tech, lose 2 games by a point, and beat the Horns? Think Horn fans thought Colt would get hurt against KSU and that our team would tank the season? No. Things happen. In regards to Brantley, he might jet to Florida tomorrow. He might honor his commit to Texas. I just heard tonight that his girlfriend got a scholly to UF and that it's weighing on his mind, so who knows?

Do you not want Brantley to come to UT and so you think I have burnt orange glasses because I think he's going to honor his commit and sign with the Horns?:confused:

big daddy russ
12-20-2006, 04:10 PM
I never said I didn't want Brantley in burnt orange, just wondering why he wouldn't waiver on his verbal. Haven't heard a single good reason yet.

And I absolutely believe that there will be competition for the QB spot, but refuse to believe that anyone will be taking it from Colt... ever. That's why Snead left. Hell of a QB. Everyone around the 40 Acres said he was an absolute stud, especially in practice. Came straight in and made NFL-type throws from the get-go. Still, he couldn't unseat McCoy and I don't believe Brantley can, either.

As far as me and Auburn, I don't think we complained at all about the polls this year. We were seated number four when everyone but Michigan and OSU suffered their losses. I don't think there was much complaining about that.

Here are a couple of my Auburn posts from this year...

First post.. I called a possible upset against Ole Miss (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53339&highlight=auburn+one+loss)

10-29-2006, 4:29 PM (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53682&perpage=15&highlight=auburn%20one%20loss&pagenumber=2)

I wrote that last one after Auburn dropped from number four in the rankings to number six. I would hardly call that "complaining." Maybe giving a little insight as to why I thought we were beatable, but definitely not complaining.

Now if you're referring to 2004, I'm still complaining about that. I thought we matched up great with USC but not so much with OU. We absolutely rolled through the regular season, won a much tougher conference than either the Big XII or Pac Ten, and still didn't go.

I thought we had the best defense in the entire nation (even better than Frank Beamer's) plus a championship-caliber O-Line (one of the top five lines in the nation) and with one of the two best offensive backfields in the nation. I would've put Campbell, Williams, Brown, and our backups against Leinart, Bush, White and their backups and called it even.

LitanyofFury
12-20-2006, 04:28 PM
He just won the Gatorade Player of the Year award too. The kid is awesome.

And yes, I'm picking the Tigers over the Cornhuskers in the Cotton.

EDIT: Guess I might've been wrong. Supposedly on a Gator radio station they said Brantley is 110% Gator. Hope everything works out for him!

Gobbler Fan
12-20-2006, 05:25 PM
Premium StoryPer Scot Brantley: Johnny is 110% Gator
A good news day for the Florida Gators got even better Wednesday afternoon when former Gator great Scot Brantley told Gator Country that his nephew, Trinity Catholic quarterback John Brantley, has switched his commitment from Texas to the University of Florida. Scot Brantley said that the Gatorade National Player of the Year called Urban Meyer to confirm his decision.

This is off of the scout.com front page

http://florida.scout.com/