PDA

View Full Version : Commerce

dogdad
12-18-2006, 10:19 PM
another site is reporting that this job (HFB/AD) is open. if so, any details?

dogdad
12-19-2006, 10:59 AM
By DAVID CLAYBOURN
Herald-Banner Staff

COMMERCE — Bill Draughn is stepping down as head football coach and athletic director of the Commerce Tigers to spend more time with his family.

Draughn, who coached 11 seasons at Commerce including the last three seasons as head coach, said he submitted his resignation to the Commerce ISD’s Board of Trustees on Monday and it will become effective at the end of the school year in May, 2007. Draughn said he plans to stay on at the Commerce ISD as a teacher.

“We just decided it’s too much for us, me and (wife) Karen, both teaching and coaching,” he said. “I’m just going to teach. I’m a longtime history teacher and love teaching.”

Draughn’s wife Karen is the head volleyball and softball coach for the Greenville Christian School Lady Eagles. All three of their daughters, including Ashlee (senior), Heather (freshman) and Paige (seventh graders) are student-athletes at GCS.

Draughn said with this decision he’ll be able to attend more of his daughters’ school activities.

Draughn posted a 15-16 record as head football coach of the Tigers, with Class 3A playoff trips in 2004 and 2005. The 2006 Tigers had a 15-year string of playoff appearances end in 2006 after finishing 3-7.

He said the won-loss record “didn’t factor into his decision at all.”

“We’re not all in this for winning,” he said.

However, Draughn served as defensive coordinator on three Class 3A state championship football teams under three different head coaches, including Groesbeck in 1991 (Jerry Bomar), Commerce in 1999 (Steve Lineweaver) and Commerce again in 2001 (Terry Cron).

“I’ve been really blessed,” Draughn said. “I’ve had a really good experience, of course.

“I want to resign now so Commerce can get a really good coach in there,” he said.

Draughn was a standout football player for the Commerce Tigers, graduating in 1980, and also played for the Austin College Kangaroos, earning his college degree in 1984.

dogdad
12-19-2006, 11:02 AM
I wish Commerce good luck in their search

what a great tradition the Tigers have

kaorder1999
12-19-2006, 11:48 AM
will be a VERy good job for someone. They will have to go into it and clean up some discipline problems. The athletes will always be there!