PDA

View Full Version : carmello suspended 15 games

football4life
12-18-2006, 12:52 PM
for brawl. several other suspensions as well.

Adidas410s
12-18-2006, 12:54 PM
that's a joke...it should've been longer! :mad:

Adidas410s
12-18-2006, 12:55 PM
The Nuggets and Knicks brawled Saturday. Punishment landed Monday. Highlights: Carmelo Anthony is suspended 15 games, Nate Robinson and J.R. Smith got 10 each and both clubs were fined $500,000.

eagles_victory
12-18-2006, 01:02 PM
I dont think Nate Robinson deserved to get suspended for ten games. But nontheless the NBA just lost their dunk champion and their leading scorer that isnt good for PR

3afan
12-18-2006, 01:18 PM
Suspensions total 47 games from Knicks-Nuggets fight
ESPN.com news services

NEW YORK -- The Denver Nuggets were the bigger losers Monday after the NBA handed out penalties in the fight that broke out near the end of Saturday night's game against the New York Knicks at Madison Square Garden.

Denver's Carmelo Anthony, the NBA's leading scorer, was suspended 15 games for sucker-punching the Knicks' Mardy Collins. Denver teammate J.R. Smith and New York's Nate Robinson also received stiff penalties from the league -- 10-game suspensions.

"It is our obligation to take the strongest possible steps to avoid such failures in the future and to make a statement to all who follow the game of basketball that we understand our obligations and take them seriously," NBA commissioner David Stern said in a statement.

But there was no separate penalty for Knicks coach Isiah Thomas, who had warned Anthony not to go into the lane before the mayhem started Saturday night.

There was speculation Thomas would be penalized for his comments to Anthony. Stern acknowledged hearing about it, but said he relied only on "definitive information" when handing out punishments.

The NBA, still trying to repair its image after the brawl between Indiana Pacers players and Detroit Pistons fans two years ago, also fined the Nuggets and Knicks $500,000 apiece.

Stern said the fines to the organizations are meant to show he is serious about cleaning up the game.

"It's a more general message that I'm going to start holding our teams accountable," Stern said.

Collins, whose hard foul of Smith was the flashpoint for the fight, was suspended for six games. Knicks forward Jared Jeffries was suspended for four games, and New York's Jerome James and Denver's Nene were hit with one-game penalties for leaving their respective benches during an on-court altercation.

Thomas had a discussion with Anthony about 20 seconds before Collins delivered an arms-around-the-neck foul on Smith on a breakaway basket. Though Thomas acknowledged telling Anthony not to go into the paint, he said he meant it not as a threat but as a lecture on sportsmanship.

"I don't regret fouling him as hard as I did, I just regret that the whole thing escalated the way it did," Collins said Monday. "I was out there competing and I didn't want the guy to get a layup and I was basically trying to stop him from going in the air. That's why I fouled him that hard, so he wouldn't get hurt."

After the game, which Denver won 123-100, Thomas and Knicks players were angry that the Nuggets had four starters on the floor with 1:15 to play. And while Thomas wouldn't say if Denver coach George Karl was trying to embarrass the Knicks, he again stressed that starters shouldn't have been in the game.

"I can't speak for him, but he put his players in a tough position," Thomas said. "I think he put his players in a very bad position."

All 10 players on the floor were ejected after the brawl.

Anthony said Sunday he was sorry his emotions got the best of him. He apologized to fans, the Nuggets, the NBA, his own family -- and to Collins and his family.

"Last night's altercation with the Knicks escalated further than it should have. I take full responsibility for my actions in the matter," Anthony said in a statement. "My actions were inexcusable, and I am sorry for making this an even more embarrassing situation."

Phil C
12-18-2006, 02:01 PM
:eek: :(

3afan
12-18-2006, 02:02 PM
sounds like they all got off easy .............

Adidas410s
12-18-2006, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
sounds like they all got off easy .............

That's what I thought until I was reading on ESPN and their analysts didn't think anybody would get more than 8 games.

3afan
12-18-2006, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
That's what I thought until I was reading on ESPN and their analysts didn't think anybody would get more than 8 games.

yeah I saw that - he was way off ...

Adidas410s
12-18-2006, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
yeah I saw that - he was way off ...

now he's defending himself...

Too harsh on 'Melo, easy on Isiah by: Marc Stein
posted: Sunday, December 17, 2006
Instant reactions to the main MSG Fight Night penalties meted out Monday by NBA commissioner David Stern:

Carmelo Anthony: 15 games
Too many games ... way too many when you hear that Isiah Thomas will sit out zero games. Seven to 10 games was a sensible range to me.

Don't forget that Orlando's Keyon Dooling and Seattle's Ray Allen got five and three games, respectively, for a scrap that happened less than a year ago. 'Melo's sucker punch, when things were finally dying down, was certainly more egregious than what Dooling and Allen did ... but not three or four times worse.

(One footnote: Any league suspension longer than 12 games entitles the suspended player to an arbitration hearing, but I'm told Anthony has not yet decided if he plans to seek a reduction.)

Nate Robinson: 10 games
Five games less than 'Melo? Nobody -- not even Anthony -- escalated this thing more than Robinson, needlessly jumping in the faces of multiple Nuggets in his latest attempt to prove how big and tough he is.

Little Nate never landed the kind of roundhouse that got 'Melo in trouble. But his transgressions were right up there with 'Melo's.

And neither Robinson nor Thomas has shown a shred of remorse, either. Anthony, at the very least, issued a lengthy apology.

J.R. Smith: 10 games
This thing probably never gets near paying customers if not for Robinson. But Smith tumbled into the baseline seats with Nate and was later seen throwing a punch. So even if he was goaded, Smith's actions outweigh any alibis.

It should be obvious now that NBA fights will forever be scored differently -- and met with harsher punishments than yesteryear -- because each new fight dredges up memories and footage and commentary about the Malice of Auburn Hills.

Mardy Collins: Six games
Collins' inexcusable foul on Smith triggered the melee and a two-handed hit that hard has to be met with a stringent penalty.

But I also believe -- taking my cue from insiders with both teams -- that he was merely a rookie doing what he was told by his coach.

Doesn't get Collins off the hook, obviously, but it apparently happened the night before, too: Collins was sent into garbage time of the Knicks' blowout loss at Indiana and picked up a flagrant foul in the final two minutes.

Isiah Thomas: Zero games
Stunning. Absolutely stunning.

You can argue that Zeke deserved to be hit hardest of anyone involved, frankly, given the MSG footage clearly showing Thomas telling Anthony that it "wouldn't be a good idea" to venture into the paint.

Isn't that proof of premeditation? An unmistakable threat?

The Knicks' spin -- Isiah was imploring 'Melo to show more class than his coach? -- is laughable.

Unlike players who lose control in the heat of the moment, I'm quite sure Thomas knew exactly what he was doing.

George Karl: Zero games
As we said when this first happened, running up the score isn't an NBA crime. So Karl was never at risk for a league suspension.

But from his own owner? Yes: Karl should be forced to sit out a game or two.

Unlike Anthony, Furious George hasn't apologized or even tried to explain why he'd dare risk injury to 'Melo or Marcus Camby by leaving them in a game that was over. To get back at Isiah on behalf of his North Carolina pal Larry Brown, as the world suspects, is a crime against his own organization.

Phil C
12-18-2006, 03:18 PM
STOP THE VIOLENCE!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

luvhoops34
12-18-2006, 03:25 PM
J.R. Smith is one of my fantasy players....:weeping:

Old Tiger
12-18-2006, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
I dont think Nate Robinson deserved to get suspended for ten games. But nontheless the NBA just lost their dunk champion and their leading scorer that isnt good for PR He threw a punch...I think that is why...

EV, do you think Isiah Thomas or whatever the coaches name is should be suspended too for those comments that you can clearly read from his lips?

carter08
12-18-2006, 03:30 PM
If this was hockey, no one would have been suspended

3afan
12-18-2006, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s

George Karl: Zero games
As we said when this first happened, running up the score isn't an NBA crime. So Karl was never at risk for a league suspension.

But from his own owner? Yes: Karl should be forced to sit out a game or two.

Unlike Anthony, Furious George hasn't apologized or even tried to explain why he'd dare risk injury to 'Melo or Marcus Camby by leaving them in a game that was over. To get back at Isiah on behalf of his North Carolina pal Larry Brown, as the world suspects, is a crime against his own organization.

WHY? they were PLAYING THE GAME !!!

TheDOCTORdre
12-18-2006, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR

EV, do you think Isiah Thomas or whatever the coaches name is should be suspended too for those comments that you can clearly read from his lips?
THomas should be suspended but I guess the league wanted to punish the Knicks by allowing him to not be suspended and contnue to coach

3afan
12-18-2006, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
THomas should be suspended but I guess the league wanted to punish the Knicks by allowing him to not be suspended and contnue to coach

haha - right on ........