PDA

View Full Version : Vernon - Celina game

Spaceman_Spiff
12-17-2006, 02:54 PM
I'm not from either one of these towns, but I decided to drive to Denton to watch the game on Saturday afternoon. I got to be part of an absolutely beautiful afternoon, an awesome stadium, and two communities that were excited for their teams...the Celina fans in their orange, and the Vernon fans in their maroon. I saw smiles, handshakes, and hugs as the two teams went through their pre-game warmups. I got to watch as two teams of teenagers played their tails off in a complete effort to win a football game. I witness big hits, tough runs, well executed offenses and defenses, and something that you don't see much of anymore...sportsmanship. Kids from both teams offering a hand to an opponent that they had just taken to the ground.

I thought I had entered Heaven...this was the way High School football games were supposed to be played.

Then came the 3rd quarter, with Celina taking charge of the game about halfway through the quarter. By the end of the 3rd quarter, the Vernon fans around me were calling for a lynching. Oh, I know this goes on in stadiums all over the state on Friday nights, but wasn't this the State Semi-Finals? Weren't these teams playing football during the 15th week of the season? How many teams across the state had already washed and folded the game uniforms, taken the air out of the footballs, and started preparing for NEXT year?

I've been across the field from you Vernon fans on many occasions, and I always thought that the team played so hard because you were such a force behind them. Please remember, it's hard to make the right call on every play against a team that is as talented as Celina was. Good play calls (offensive and defensive) were made by both coaching staffs throughout the game...both staffs also made some calls that didn't work, but maybe it's because they were playing against a quality opponent that made a good play.

Vernon - Congratulations on a good football season.
Celina - Good Luck in the State Championship game.

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-17-2006, 05:13 PM
I'm sure the fans were dissapointed because we were losing. I have personally fired Coach Hall 3 or 4 times this year :) But I have also hired him back more times than I fired him. Celina was just a better team. I don't think it came down to coaching. It was a great game, I was so proud to see the Lions in another semi-final game. We played hard and to the end.

Spaceman_Spiff
12-17-2006, 06:13 PM
Hey...I honestly know what you are saying...but to get this far, something good had to be happening. Vernon has a couple of very good players, but the rest of them play hard and are definitely overachievers...and with the kids playing like that, there has to be some good coaching going on. I know that Coach Merrill has always come up with good defensive schemes, and that the offensive staff has always had the kids prepared to play.

I think I saw you walking around before the game, but wasnt sure...I saw Matthew and Whitney, but never approached them.

You guys had a very good football season, and your kids and coaches deserve lots of praise for their accomplishments....and I know that frustration sets in when it becomes evident that a win is not going to happen on a particular night.

Still hoping to talk to you in the future, and I've always respected your words on here.