PDA

View Full Version : I think I want more HS Football on TV

BobcatBenny
12-16-2006, 11:51 PM
I am watching the Garland vs. Cedar Hill game.

I have enjoyed the HS game of the week more than any other level of football this year.

I'm not sure if it would be good to see more games televised, but I think I do.

Rainman
12-17-2006, 09:31 AM
This is my cautionary warning to televising more High School games.

When two major universities sued the NCAA for the television rights to their own games, a television flood gate was opened that would forever hurt smaller schools. A specific Southwest conference example; with Texas on television every week, fewer people came out to see other games and teams, Rice and other smaller schools found attendence dropping to television.
At home you can watch for favorite team nearly every week, from the comfort of your lazyboy and cheaper food and drink and so people stayed home rather than coming to the stadiums and watching the only game within reasonable distance.
For instance two years ago rice had nearly 25,000 people to watch a homecoming game against a good Fresno State team in the middle of the Rice's longest losing streak in the nation. This past season Rice's homecoming opponent was a good East Carolina team, but this time Rice was in the middle of a hot streak that saw them win the last to games against UTEP and Tulsa by a total of 9 points. This homecoming game would make Rice bowl eligible for the first time since 2001. Rice won this game by a single point on a last second field goal in front of a pathetic homecoming crowd of between 11,000 and 12,000.
People just choose to stay home and watch what turned to another amazing game, Michigan and Ohio State, in the comfort of their air-conditioned room, in thier lazyboy, eating cheap refreshments.

carter08
12-17-2006, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Rainman
This is my cautionary warning to televising more High School games.

When two major universities sued the NCAA for the television rights to their own games, a television flood gate was opened that would forever hurt smaller schools. A specific Southwest conference example; with Texas on television every week, fewer people came out to see other games and teams, Rice and other smaller schools found attendence dropping to television.
At home you can watch for favorite team nearly every week, from the comfort of your lazyboy and cheaper food and drink and so people stayed home rather than coming to the stadiums and watching the only game within reasonable distance.
For instance two years ago rice had nearly 25,000 people to watch a homecoming game against a good Fresno State team in the middle of the Rice's longest losing streak in the nation. This past season Rice's homecoming opponent was a good East Carolina team, but this time Rice was in the middle of a hot streak that saw them win the last to games against UTEP and Tulsa by a total of 9 points. This homecoming game would make Rice bowl eligible for the first time since 2001. Rice won this game by a single point on a last second field goal in front of a pathetic homecoming crowd of between 11,000 and 12,000.
People just choose to stay home and watch what turned to another amazing game, Michigan and Ohio State, in the comfort of their air-conditioned room, in thier lazyboy, eating cheap refreshments.

IF i could afford it, I would be one of the 11,000 every week at a Rice or UH or even Texas Southern game. But alas, I cannot, so i sit in my recliner eating fritos