PDA

View Full Version : Going for the Win, or Going for the Tie, an Objective Analysis

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-16-2006, 11:08 PM
This subject has been brought to light due to the recent outcome of the Robinson vs. Texarkana Liberty-Eylau. Many believe that the easiest solution would to have kicked the extra point and taken it to overtime, but it's not always that easy. This is a tough decision to make, regardless of the game.

To kick the extra point in this situation would have been the easiest, and in the eyes of many, the best thing to do. Your team has the momentum and will carry that into overtime and have a great chance of winning. Many of you fail to realize the kicking situation that Robinson was in. Ninety-five percent of the extra points barely made it over the crossbar, but in the same token, ninety-five percent of them went in. To place the outcome of the game squarely on the shoulders of one player's kick is not exactly fair, and a miss in that situation would have been something that would haunt many for the rest of their lives.

The second choice, the two-point conversion try arises. A successful attempt would result in a victory for the Rockets and a State Championship. Although this is harder to do, how many plays over the course of the night have gone for over three yards? Whether it be a fake field goal or a direct run is the choice of the coach, but if either are successful, he will be deemed a hero for having the confidence in his players and strategy for being successful, but if he fails, he will be the goat. Obviously in this situation, he was the goat.

All of this in mind, it is easy to look back and criticize the coach, but there are several things to take into account, the most notable are whether or not the players on the team wanted to go for the win. Any way you look at this, either attempt would have been a chance. The kick could have been blocked, or even worse, the kicker could have missed. Football is a game of chance, and many are forgetting that. Robinson took a chance and failed, but in my eyes, it is better to take a chance and fail instead of never trying. Also, I don't think that anyone would want to be the kicker who missed and have to carry that with you for the rest of your life. The Rockets did something great, and I think that people should put all the negative aspects of the game aside for the Rockets, as there were many, and look back on the great things that came from that game, for both teams.

Pudlugger
12-16-2006, 11:51 PM
BBDE paints a pretty little mustache on the Mona Lisa.:D

BobcatBenny
12-17-2006, 12:03 AM
Hey, I saw Celina end a 68 game win streak with a missed extra point at the end of a game.

There was one coaching call that I questioned in that game. May have made a difference. Hind sight now says, might have gone for two?

Now that I have seen what the Robinson coach tried, I am going to say, he made the right call.

Champions get the three yards when they need it.

What the coach just did not realize, was this .... Robinson was not the champions. Hind sight now tells us that.

dogdad
12-17-2006, 12:17 AM
I agree Big Blue
I was sitting amongst a bunch of coaches who also agreed that going for 2 was the right choice. The Robinson PATs were just barely clearing the crossbar
Plus, not having a FG kicker is a big disadvantage in OT

Just one observation though.........the Robinson kicker is left-footed and when they lined up to kick the PAT, the holder lined up for a right-footed kick.....if a dull fellow like me noticed, I wondered if LE also noticed and the fake got tipped off?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-17-2006, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by dogdad
I agree Big Blue
I was sitting amongst a bunch of coaches who also agreed that going for 2 was the right choice. The Robinson PATs were just barely clearing the crossbar
Plus, not having a FG kicker is a big disadvantage in OT

Just one observation though.........the Robinson kicker is left-footed and when they lined up to kick the PAT, the holder lined up for a right-footed kick.....if a dull fellow like me noticed, I wondered if LE also noticed and the fake got tipped off?

Actually, #90 is a left-footed kicker, and #2, who usually kicks, is a right footed kicker. Whichever one of the two is not kicking does the holding for the Rockets, so it depends on who was where.

thatsminty
12-17-2006, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
BBDE paints a pretty little mustache on the Mona Lisa.:D

so what...he's just highlighting the fact that yes she was a man

CenTexSports
12-17-2006, 08:15 AM
The only reason I can see for the fake is that the coach felt that in overtime his team would be in a substancial hole without a good field goal kicker. He probably felt like they could make the EP but in overtime if his defense held LE to a field goal then Robinson would have to score a TD or lose. Under thses circumstanses, it was his best bet to win the game.

mac77
12-17-2006, 09:17 AM
Robinson ran a fake FG against Columbia that worked for a TD. Instead of the reverse, they rolled right after faking a botched snap and threw back to the left upback that had slipped into the endzone. Worked like a champ.

The only thing I wonder is; Did the Robinson staff realize that LE hadn't stopped them at all in the 4th Qtr? After being on the receiving end of that powerful offense when they whipped us, I think I would have kicked it and taken my chances in OT. They hadn't missed one yet!

txkmom
12-17-2006, 09:22 AM
"Just one observation though.........the Robinson kicker is left-footed and when they lined up to kick the PAT, the holder lined up for a right-footed kick.....if a dull fellow like me noticed, I wondered if LE also noticed and the fake got tipped off?"

Boy, did they - the coaches were yelling it to the LE players on the field.

Phil C
12-17-2006, 09:28 AM
You never know what is best. It is sometimes a judgement call and when it is right you are a genius but if not you are the opposite. But there are lots of factors whenever.
I remember about 7 years ago the game between Sinton and Aransas Pass ended at a tie 21 to 21. Aransas Pass had the ball first in OT and scored and lead 28 to 21. Sinton got the ball and scored to make it 28 to 27. Sinton could have played it safe and kicked an extra point to continue the game but the coach knew that the players were tired and might not be able to keep up with the AP players (AP was favored in this game). Sinton did an option play that worked and Sinton won 29 to 28. Before the play most fans thought that it was right to go for the two point play. Had Sinton not made it I don't know what the outcry if any would have been but it was a problem that was not to be.

redfish961
12-17-2006, 10:57 AM
I like the 2-point try, just don't like how it was done.

I would have gone for 2, merely because the LE kicking game was much superior, thereby providing a distinct advantage in overtime. There's no guarantee the PAT would have been made in the first place, given the pressure of the situation.

I would not have tried the fake. It takes most of your playmaking weapons out of the game and limits your options. I would have lined up, put the ball in Kitchens hands, with Mogavero,Alford, and a couple of proven receivers as options.

In essence, the loss would have been a little easier to swallow had Robinson tried to beat LE instead of trying to fool them. I can't imagine the chances of catching LE sleeping or going through the motions, was real good in that scenario.

That being said, the coaches decisions had helped Robinson get to the title game. I may not agree with the coaches on this one, but I'll certainly support them.

burnet44
12-17-2006, 11:24 AM
coach made right call
called right play

now when the rest of you nn
get a coaching job
get to the state finals
then you can do what you want
I dont see you nn playing for it
and
before any of you come on here and say yeah we won one
every gane is different
every game has its time
only in those minutes can coaches manke those calls
not any others

time changes for no one

congrats to the rockets

and if you want to make any excuses
remember this

5 yards=21 LE points
total yards RHS 561 LE 282

but the end?

the only score that counts is the score

charlesrixey
12-17-2006, 11:36 AM
in 2003 Pilot Point played Quinlan Ford and went for two with time nearly gone in the final minute. GA Moore called it, and the play worked, and PP won 22-21.

This play is always the same--

Make it and you are a hero
Miss it and blame the coach

GOFOR2
12-17-2006, 11:37 AM
Well written.

pancho villa
12-17-2006, 11:53 AM
I think they should of put the ball in the hands of the QB for the 2 point try. I mean he is one heck of an offensive threat.

thatsminty
12-17-2006, 01:27 PM
doesnt really matter now does it? Robinson lost. Move on.

Haunta Yo
12-17-2006, 01:34 PM
3 yards away from a state title and people say take it to overtime and look for a better opportunity to win it?

Why?
So you can be down 8 pts with a 4th and goal from the 9, needing a TD and 2pt conversion just to CONTINUE the game?

Everyone that's typing "take it to overtime" would have been second guessing a miss, block or OT loss just as much as the fake.

Old Tiger
12-17-2006, 02:17 PM
I say go for the tie in a big game like that. If it was a game in pre-district with no long term implications then go for two but in a state championship game you have to tie the game up and force it to OT.

Old Tiger
12-17-2006, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Haunta Yo
3 yards away from a state title and people say take it to overtime and look for a better opportunity to win it?

Why?
So you can be down 8 pts with a 4th and goal from the 9, needing a TD and 2pt conversion just to CONTINUE the game?

Everyone that's typing "take it to overtime" would have been second guessing a miss, block or OT loss just as much as the fake. Your playbook is more open from the 9 yard line than it is from the three yard line. Teams can be insdie the 5 yard line with 4 downs to go and not score. Take points when you can especially if it is in a state championship game.

Haunta Yo
12-17-2006, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Your playbook is more open from the 9 yard line than it is from the three yard line. Teams can be insdie the 5 yard line with 4 downs to go and not score. Take points when you can especially if it is in a state championship game.

????? You got 1 play for a state championship and you'd rather be in 4th and 9 ?????

All those in favor of 9 yards for a State Chmpionship vs 3 yards for a State Championship please reveal yourself.

Old Tiger
12-17-2006, 05:20 PM
????? You got 1 play for a state championship and you'd rather be in 4th and 9 ?????

All those in favor of 9 yards for a State Chmpionship vs 3 yards for a State Championship please reveal yourself. What's to say you will be in 4th and 9. Say you score a touchdown and you get an inteception on the next play for the other team and win the game. There are so many scenario's but why not play safe in the biggest game of your life/season.

Txbroadcaster
12-17-2006, 05:22 PM

All those in favor of 9 yards for a State Chmpionship vs 3 yards for a State Championship please reveal yourself.

Depends on where it is opn the field and what offense you run.

If I am a spread offense I will take 4th and 9 at the 9 yd line over 4th and 3 at the 3yd line. If I am a power rushing team i want 4th and 3 at the 3yd line

g$$
12-17-2006, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by mac77
Robinson ran a fake FG against Columbia that worked for a TD. Instead of the reverse, they rolled right after faking a botched snap and threw back to the left upback that had slipped into the endzone. Worked like a champ.

The only thing I wonder is; Did the Robinson staff realize that LE hadn't stopped them at all in the 4th Qtr? After being on the receiving end of that powerful offense when they whipped us, I think I would have kicked it and taken my chances in OT. They hadn't missed one yet!

Agreed, I am kicking it & playing the %s. But hindsight is always 20/20 I guess. Great game, tough way to lose Robinson.

necks_c/09
12-17-2006, 10:46 PM
speaking of being a kicker who missed a key field goal or extra point.....

my uncle, Warren Stapleton played for the Needville Bluejays back in the late 80's......87-90 or somthin like that.......his senior year they made it all the way to semifinals and they played mexia.....needville would end up losing this game 7-6 after their kicker Tom Holcombe (Coach at Sweeny High School now) missed 3 kicks from inside the 5 yard line (one was blocked).....

By the way this kicker was all-state or all-region or sumthin but his place holder did not play due to injury.

Just thought that i would inform yall...that needville dominated in every offensive statistic and mexia would go on to win the state championship by plenty!!!!

This is still a sore topic in my family today about 20 years later....

carter08
12-18-2006, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by necks_c/09

my uncle, Warren Stapleton played for the Needville Bluejays back in the late 80's......87-90 or somthin like that.......his senior year they made it all the way to semifinals and they played mexia.....needville would end up losing this game 7-6 after their kicker Tom Holcombe (Coach at Sweeny High School now) missed 3 kicks from inside the 5 yard line (one was blocked).....

By the way this kicker was all-state or all-region or sumthin but his place holder did not play due to injury.

Just thought that i would inform yall...that needville dominated in every offensive statistic and mexia would go on to win the state championship by plenty!!!!

Very informative
I learned something

g$$
12-18-2006, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by necks_c/09

Wow, sure Tom loves you sharing that story!

That would have been 1989 season (year after I graduated from Sweeny). Needville beat Sweeny in the State Quarterfinals after Sweeny had won the district title (Sweeny's qb separated shoulder during game & continued to play, name was Shane Smith). Couple of good years for the district as we lost in the State Semifinals the year before in 1988 to Navasota in the freezing rain in Katy & gave the game away.

Tom H. was a good punter & kicker, but all of that was not his fault as you mentioned. Gotta have snap, hold, kick & protection all clicking together. Tom's wife is the v-ball coach in Sweeny & does a heck of a job too. Nice people, good coaches.