PDA

View Full Version : Second-half surge propels Celina into title game

kepdawg
12-16-2006, 10:23 PM
Second-half surge propels Celina into title game

Backup QB steps in and finds five ways to put points on scoreboard

09:06 PM CST on Saturday, December 16, 2006

By DAVID HINOJOSA / The Dallas Morning News

DENTON – As his jubilant team celebrated in the locker room, Celina coach Butch Ford was already putting together a game plan for his next opponent.

Some might have think that's a little early. Then again, Celina will be playing for the Class 3A Division II title.

Riding a second-half surge, Celina (15-0) pulled away for a 30-13 victory against Vernon (9-6) in a state semifinal Saturday at C.H. Collins Stadium.

Celina, which won its 31st straight game, plays Liberty Hill (12-2) for a record eighth state championship next Saturday at Baylor's Floyd Casey Stadium.

Free safety Dru Prosser, who doubled at quarterback when Seth Davis was sidelined with a stinger in his arm, threw a touchdown pass, rushed for another score, threw for a two-point conversion and kicked a 21-yard field goal – all in the second half.

Oh, and he converted an extra-point attempt.

Celina is seeking its sixth state title in nine years. It won the Class 2A Division II title last season.

Celina took control with touchdowns on its first two drives of the second half for a 27-6 lead. The ability to control the line of scrimmage paid dividends later as Vernon's defense tired.

"We needed to do something on offense," Ford said. "We felt like we hadn't done that. Those two drives were exactly what the doctor ordered. They determined the game."

Celina bottled up Vernon's offense, allowing only 127 yards – 66 in the second half. Vernon fullback Aston Whiteside had 108 of those yards, including a 40-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter.

"We knew [Whiteside] would probably break a long run," Celina senior Jamie Blatnick said. "He's a really good running back, and good running backs will do that. But we locked it up, and we're going to state."

Vernon took a 6-0 lead on Chase Graf's 15-yard run on its second play from scrimmage.

Celina tied the game at 6 on a 3-yard run by Davis.

Davis played a big part in Celina's first score of the second half. After punishing runs of 19 and 16 yards, however, Davis had to leave the game for a short time after suffering a stinger. Prosser capped the drive with a 4-yard touchdown run.

Prosser added a 4-yard scoring pass to Steven McCain.

Davis returned late in the third quarter and had an 18-yard run. Prosser and Davis combined for 194 of Celina's 315 total yards.

E-mail dhinojosa@dallasnews.com

gobblerfan02
12-16-2006, 10:44 PM
I was just wondering how Celina won the D II title last season but is now in 3A???
Or was it the Div. I title? One way or the other, they must have quite a stout team to be in the title game in 3A this seson!

bobcat1
12-16-2006, 11:00 PM
It was DII for sure. Argyle was the Big school in the district in 2005.

kenco13
12-16-2006, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by gobblerfan02
I was just wondering how Celina won the D II title last season but is now in 3A???
Or was it the Div. I title? One way or the other, they must have quite a stout team to be in the title game in 3A this seson!

They had a Great team last year as well as this year. Good news for Celina is only 5 or 6 senior starters on this years team so next years team could be even better.:) LOL Kenco13

charlesrixey
12-16-2006, 11:14 PM
argyle lost to Newton 28-20 in the Div1 title game, i might add

this was after celina beat them 40-0 (or something similar)

Celina never played in Div1 in 2A, there was always one team bigger than them---PP, and then Argyle

charlesrixey
12-16-2006, 11:15 PM
they will be returning sixteen starters?

wow!

WooHoo!

The title game is going to be extremely tough though!

tuff26
12-16-2006, 11:19 PM
Where is Liberty Hill?

gobbler grad
12-17-2006, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by tuff26
Where is Liberty Hill?

you will soon find out...:eek:

gobbler grad
12-17-2006, 01:32 AM
Celina has been known to be a 2nd half team...:thinking:

LH Panther Mom
12-17-2006, 01:37 AM
Where is Liberty Hill?
Northwest of Austin about 35 miles

Originally posted by gobbler grad
Celina has been known to be a 2nd half team...:thinking:
We've been known to be a 4-quarter team.... ;)

Dominicfrank
12-17-2006, 02:42 AM
This game showed that one A player a couple of B level players are not as good as a team of almost all B players playing as a unit. Celina doesnt out talent you they out everything else you. They were the better team. I think Vernon's Coach had a horrible game plan on offense and was out of his league. Celina's " Been here before" Attitude was the bigget key to this game. AShton Whiteside couldnt of had more than 15 carries or so. I would have given it to him 40 times. Still might lose but you make them stop him 40 times which I think is impossible. Coach Hall decided to do what other Vernon coaches do and that is try to change things up. Just ask Chedrick Ricks, Brenton Gabbert, Kyle Williams, Terrance Gains, Benard Scott, Chad McBride, and many many others how that feels to lose playing a game you havent played all year. I will give credit to Celina's D-Line for scaring the heck out of Coach Hall, it worked like a charm. Saying that I was not impressed with either team tonight and think LH has a GREAT chance to beat Celina. They were nothing like I had been lead to believe they were. They are nothing compared to Vernon and Southlake's great champioship teams in the 90's or even the Sealy teams of the same decade. WE all knew that Vernon was capable of playing bad, we were on a good roll, but Celina was supposed to be a powerhouse and I thougt they were just a good team that beat a good team on a bad day. NOT WORLD BEATERS.

WildTexan
12-17-2006, 03:53 AM
dominic the halfwit....all yap before the game, then makin excuses for after....typical of the type that can not admit to a good solid whippin even after he done got it all over his head and shoulders.....fact is the game was well in hand....ok, I'll say it - the game was good as over and Vernon was beat when Aston broke his only decent run of the game to make the score appear closer than it was....Vernon got whipped solid after they got the in the wind crap punt and took it in on 2 plays for the first score....from the 6-0 point forward that game was never in doubt and while the Lions played with heart they were thoroughly and sounding trounced.....Celina did not have a great game, but they still won rather easily, so go watch your boys play roundball, and this week we will get you watch you be wrong about the Title game just like you were wrong about this one....I think the total was 127 yards of offense...TOTAL.....and 108 of that was that horse Aston, but a big chunk of his yards came after the game was decided....

I can see why the Vernon fans were excited in the playoffs - that Aston kid was good alright, but this Celina defense was better, and 25 and 18 will wake up very sore in the morning after getting smacked all night.....

bobcat1
12-17-2006, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by WildTexan
dominic the halfwit....all yap before the game, then makin excuses for after.......Celina did not have a great game, but they still won rather easily.
I can see why the Vernon fans were excited in the playoffs - that Aston kid was good alright, but this Celina defense was better. I agree on Dominic. The Lions were a very classy team and I doubt they would ask Dominic to speak for them.

I didn't want to say it, but we did not play as well as we have offensively. I think the wind could have had a little to do with it. We just seemed just a hair out of sync. That could also be attributed to the QB coming back after being out last week. We should be hitting on all cylinders next week. Defense was outstanding! Aston had that maybe 45 yard TD late in the 4th and a 23 yard run as the half ended. That's 68 yards of offense. They had I think 127 total yards. WOW! Awesome job Team Orange!

rundoe
12-17-2006, 07:21 AM
Where is Liberty Hill?

Usually after eating up about 6 or 8 minutes of the clock, in the END ZONE!!

bobcat1
12-17-2006, 07:26 AM
So far! :p

RMAC
12-17-2006, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by WildTexan
dominic the halfwit....all yap before the game, then makin excuses for after....typical of the type that can not admit to a good solid whippin even after he done got it all over his head and shoulders.....fact is the game was well in hand....ok, I'll say it - the game was good as over and Vernon was beat when Aston broke his only decent run of the game to make the score appear closer than it was....Vernon got whipped solid after they got the in the wind crap punt and took it in on 2 plays for the first score....from the 6-0 point forward that game was never in doubt and while the Lions played with heart they were thoroughly and sounding trounced.....Celina did not have a great game, but they still won rather easily, so go watch your boys play roundball, and this week we will get you watch you be wrong about the Title game just like you were wrong about this one....I think the total was 127 yards of offense...TOTAL.....and 108 of that was that horse Aston, but a big chunk of his yards came after the game was decided....

I can see why the Vernon fans were excited in the playoffs - that Aston kid was good alright, but this Celina defense was better, and 25 and 18 will wake up very sore in the morning after getting smacked all night.....

:rolleyes: