PDA

View Full Version : Vet93......

kaorder1999
12-15-2006, 11:22 AM
are you really a vet?? If so I have some questions for you!!

44INAROW
12-15-2006, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999

He gave me some PRIMO/EXCELLENT advise not too long ago - and he also made me feel alot better about the diagnosis my hometown vet gave me. :)

vet93
12-15-2006, 11:51 AM
Fire away!! If you would feel more comfortable with a pm...that will work too...I will be out of the office for the weekend starting this afternoon...going to see some family before Christmas.

Originally posted by kaorder1999

kaorder1999
12-15-2006, 11:58 AM
nothing big....

well...we adopted a puppy from a pound a little while back and a few days after we got her home she stopped eating and had a cough...at least that is what our vet said it was. It sounded like she was trying to hack up a fur ball or something. But anyways...long story short...the Vet thought it was probably distemper....we were going to have her put down on a friday but she passed in her sleep that night.

How long does it have to be before I can bring home another puppy. My dog at home is still healthy because he has been through MANy rounds of vaccinations since he is 4 years old or so. Can I have soil tested for distemper or anything like that?

vet93
12-15-2006, 12:26 PM
Distemper is a virus that is passed through respiratory secretions. It is relatively fragile outside of the host. In other words, it doesn't live very long in the environment. I would suggest cleaning all food bowls/toys and hard surfaces (concrete, tile etc..) that the puppy touched with a dilute bleach solution (3/4 cup of bleach in a gallon of water). Wait a week and then the environment should be safe for puppies. Parvo virus is completely different...this virus is very hardy outside of the environment and will live for years in the soil.

kaorder1999
12-15-2006, 12:41 PM
Thanks! We are looking to get another puppy and we want to be sure that we don't lose another.