PDA

View Full Version : A good Todd Dodge-Riley Dodge question...

kaorder1999
12-15-2006, 11:08 AM
I know in most cases the employees of most University's are allowed free tuition for their children. In this case would Dodge even have to offer Riley a scholarship to play at UNT or is it actually just considered a walk-on since his school will most likely already be paid for, at least the length of time Dodge remains as head coach at UNT?

Gsquared
12-15-2006, 11:15 AM
So, at home, can Todd talk to Riley at all? Not supposed to make contact with a recruit until a certain time per the NCAA

kaorder1999
12-15-2006, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Gsquared
So, at home, can Todd talk to Riley at all? Not supposed to make contact with a recruit until a certain time per the NCAA

yeah...he can...he doesnt become an official UNT employee until December 24th...:D

kaorder1999
12-15-2006, 11:18 AM
i guess the scholarship is the better way to go because books are expensive...BUT...Dodge might not want to waste a scholarship on his just for the price of books because he did just get a pretty good raise!!

Gsquared
12-15-2006, 11:19 AM
Yeah but Riley is a JR, so theres still that no contact thing

kaorder1999
12-15-2006, 11:20 AM

damn...keep forgetting that...good point....I'm sure its in his contract somewhere and its an NCAA rule somewhere that they can talk to their kids all they want to....

carter08
12-15-2006, 11:22 AM

That would suck

Riley: Hey Dad
Todd: Hey son
*NCAA Officila Jumps put of cabinet"
Official: You are now on probabtion

Gsquared
12-15-2006, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
damn...keep forgetting that...good point....I'm sure its in his contract somewhere and its an NCAA rule somewhere that they can talk to their kids all they want to....
I guess if he walks on like he would he isnt a recruit. Wow, get a solid ball player without having to use one of the 15 scholarships.

kaorder1999
12-15-2006, 11:29 AM
I guess if he walks on like he would he isnt a recruit. Wow, get a solid ball player without having to use one of the 15 scholarships.

yeah...that is what I'm wondering...I'm wondering if that is what they will do.

LH Panther Mom
12-15-2006, 11:51 AM
I read on another board the ruling and parents/kids are excluded from the "no-contact" rule.

pirate4state
12-15-2006, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by carter08
That would suck

Official: You are now on probabtion

Okay Carter - you made me laugh!! :D :D

Gsquared
12-15-2006, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I read on another board the ruling and parents/kids are excluded from the "no-contact" rule. That would have to be, otherwise Coach Dodge would have to put Riley up for adoption. Speaking of adoption, they are trying to get us to adopt those orphan kids for christmas with thier christmas wish list and all. Im thinking of getting one but I dont handle resposibility really well. If I do, can some body baby sit for me on drinking nights?

g$$
12-15-2006, 07:13 PM
i guess the scholarship is the better way to go because books are expensive...BUT...Dodge might not want to waste a scholarship on his just for the price of books because he did just get a pretty good raise!!

Books are included in a full scholarship, & since football is a head count sport, of course they are included. Books, tuition, fees, room/board, etc. are all part of the full scholarship. Head count sports are football, basketball, volleyball, soccer, etc. in D1 athletics. It is different in lower divisions. In other words, football is all or none in D1.

Partial scholarships are awarded in baseball, track, tennis, etc. & they can split them up various ways. Books are usually the minimum someone gets.

The "no-contact" rule does not apply to relatives or someone who has a prior relationship. So certainly Todd could talk to his son. Y'all are confusing rules big-time, but the NCAA can be confusing.

mrescape43
12-16-2006, 04:22 AM
If Snead transfers to UNT, at least Dodge wouldn't have to waste one of his ships on his son who will never start ahead of Jevan.

olddawggreen
12-16-2006, 10:31 AM

Actually, heres our answer, see exception b;

13.1.2.1.1 Off-Campus Recruiters
13.1.2.2 General Exceptions
This regulation is not applicable to:

(a) Admissions Program. Off-campus recruiting contacts made by an institution's regular admissions program representative and directed at all prospective students including nonathletes.

(b) Coach Who Is Prospective Student-Athlete's Parent or Legal Guardian. Recruiting contact and evaluation limitations do not apply to a coaching staff member who is the parent (or legal guardian) of a participant in any activity being observed (e.g., practices, contests or camps), provided the attendance by the coaching staff member at such activity does not involve any personal contact with any other participating prospective student-athlete. (Revised: 1/10/95, 1/14/97 effective 8/1/97)

Riley's not getting off that easy his Sr. year;)

DU_stud04
12-16-2006, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by carter08
That would suck

Official: You are now on probabtion funny kid

CalallenWildcat
12-16-2006, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Okay Carter - you made me laugh!! :D :D

There's a first time for everything :D

Adidas410s
12-16-2006, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by g$$
The "no-contact" rule does not apply to relatives or someone who has a prior relationship. So certainly Todd could talk to his son. Y'all are confusing rules big-time, but the NCAA can be confusing.
I think that KA and G2 were making their comments tongue in cheek! ;)

mwynn05
12-16-2006, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Books are included in a full scholarship, & since football is a head count sport, of course they are included. Books, tuition, fees, room/board, etc. are all part of the full scholarship. Head count sports are football, basketball, volleyball, soccer, etc. in D1 athletics. It is different in lower divisions. In other words, football is all or none in D1.

Partial scholarships are awarded in baseball, track, tennis, etc. & they can split them up various ways. Books are usually the minimum someone gets.

The "no-contact" rule does not apply to relatives or someone who has a prior relationship. So certainly Todd could talk to his son. Y'all are confusing rules big-time, but the NCAA can be confusing. I think you misunderstood ka