PDA

View Full Version : Snead considers making visit to UNT

mwynn05
12-15-2006, 10:57 AM
Football: Snead considers making visit to UNT

Former Texas QB adds Mean Green to transfer list

07:10 AM CST on Friday, December 15, 2006

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

Former Texas quarterback Jevan Snead has spoken with his former high school coach Chad Morris about transferring to North Texas.
Jevan Snead

Snead has been released from his scholarship at Texas and is scheduled to travel to Mississippi today. He has already visited Houston and TCU.

“I have spoken with Jevan a little bit about North Texas,” Morris said. “I think there is a possibility that he could visit. As it stands now, he has not contacted North Texas.”

The former Stephenville standout was one of the top quarterback recruits in the state as a senior and committed to Florida before changing his mind and signing with Texas. He participated in spring practice with the Long-horns, but lost out on the starting job to redshirt freshman Colt McCoy.

Snead threw for 371 yards and two touchdowns for Texas before deciding to transfer.

Morris said Snead could be interested in UNT because the Mean Green recently hired Southlake Carroll head coach Todd Dodge. The former Texas quarterback said at his introductory press conference that he would run a spread offense, which would fit Snead.
http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/drc/sports/college/stories/DRC_UNT_notes_12-15.e4243c0.html

kaorder1999
12-15-2006, 11:03 AM
that wold be good for Dodge....except for the fact he woul dhave to sit out a year....and that might make it tough to get in a quality quarterback recruit with the recruit knowing that Snead will be the man

mwynn05
12-15-2006, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
that wold be good for Dodge....except for the fact he woul dhave to sit out a year.... Already making a big impact...if Dickey was still here theres no way on earth he would even think about considering unt

Funk-d-fied
12-15-2006, 11:04 AM
maybe not, his son has said UNT is very high on his list and with Snead and Riley Dodge their things could look alot like TU.

kaorder1999
12-15-2006, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Funk-d-fied
maybe not, his son has said UNT is very high on his list and with Snead and Riley Dodge their things could look alot like TU.

im no quarterback expert but Snead might be a little better then Riley

Funk-d-fied
12-15-2006, 11:07 AM
well most experts thought Snead was better then McCoy too...

mwynn05
12-15-2006, 11:07 AM
im no quarterback expert but Snead might be a little better then Riley Im sure he would red-shirt Riley and groom him for his jr and sr seasons

kaorder1999
12-15-2006, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by mwynn05
Im sure he would red-shirt Riley and groom him for his jr and sr seasons

well...Snead would have to be redshirted too correct? THe reshirt year would be his year to sit out and then he would have how many years left?

kaorder1999
12-15-2006, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Funk-d-fied
well most experts thought Snead was better then McCoy too...

I think Snead proved them wrong in his time on the field this year...

kaorder1999
12-15-2006, 11:11 AM
crap...i keep forgetting Riley is a junior this year....

mwynn05
12-15-2006, 11:12 AM
crap...i keep forgetting Riley is a junior this year.... I did the samething you did but9i made surei had it posted correctly and i THINK i do now

Funk-d-fied
12-15-2006, 11:13 AM
I wasn't to impressed with McCoy this year... He had huge numbers but to me it seemed like Mack put him in and hoped that his offensive line and playmakers could cover up his lack of ability, he looked good early on but when the big boys showed up he didn't bring it, and lets face it, they beat a OU team that just wasnt ready to play, if they played that team later on in the season things might be really different.

Macarthur
12-15-2006, 02:59 PM
I still believe Snead will be better than McCoy by the time his career is over.

g$$
12-15-2006, 03:10 PM
well...Snead would have to be redshirted too correct? THe reshirt year would be his year to sit out and then he would have how many years left?

5 to play 4 rule

Snead will redshirt/sit out transfer year next year if he goes D1-A & then have 3 years remaining after that. If he transfers down (like D1-AA), he would be eligible immediately if cleared by the NCAA. Hope that helps.

1st year = back-up at Texas, lettered
2nd year = transfer/redshirt year, can do everything except play in games
3rd-5th years = eligible to play

5 years to play 4...

Phil C
12-15-2006, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by g$$
5 to play 4 rule

Snead will redshirt/sit out transfer year next year if he goes D1-A & then have 3 years remaining after that. If he transfers down (like D1-AA), he would be eligible immediately if cleared by the NCAA. Hope that helps.

1st year = back-up at Texas, lettered
2nd year = transfer/redshirt year, can do everything except play in games
3rd-5th years = eligible to play

5 years to play 4...

Man if he goes to UNT we have dodged a bullet because he would be dangerous against us indeed. Fortunately we are not scheduled to play UNT the next four years. If so theywould be dangerous and scary indeed. Remember he knows our team and that would help in UNT's preparation even in the year he didn't play. If he does go there we are fortunate indeed. Plus when he played us he would be extra determined. That would increase the risk.

mwynn05
12-15-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Man if he goes to UNT we have dodged a bullet because he would be dangerous against us indeed. Fortunately we are not scheduled to play UNT the next four years. If so theywould be dangerous and scary indeed. Remember he knows our team and that would help in UNT's preparation even in the year he didn't play. If he does go there we are fortunate indeed. Plus when he played us he would be extra determined. That would increase the risk. How do you know UNT doesn't play Texas for the next four years.....oh wait you dont because the schedules are not complete or anywhere close to finalized

g$$
12-15-2006, 06:58 PM
How do you know UNT doesn't play Texas for the next four years.....oh wait you dont because the schedules are not complete or anywhere close to finalized

That is partly true. Non-conference schedules in football are worked out 5-6 years in advance, but changes occur where teams buy their way out, etc. or ask for too much $$, or ask for home & home. A&M was supposed to play Air Force, Florida St. again, & some others, but now only Miami remains & changes are being worked out for others.

That being said, I bet UNT & Texas resume playing each other down the line. Texas plays TCU next year in Austin.

mwynn05
12-15-2006, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by g$$
That is partly true. Non-conference schedules in football are worked out 5-6 years in advance, but changes occur where teams buy their way out, etc. or ask for too much $$, or ask for home & home. A&M was supposed to play Air Force, Florida St. again, & some others, but now only Miami remains & changes are being worked out for others.

That being said, I bet UNT & Texas resume playing each other down the line. Texas plays TCU next year in Austin. its lined out but no where near final....i know how college football schedules work....I kind of think the only reason were playing Arkansas this year on top of Oklahoma is to help with the buyout of DD im pretty sure this game was a late addition from what ive been hearing

g$$
12-15-2006, 07:30 PM
its lined out but no where near final....i know how college football schedules work....I kind of think the only reason were playing Arkansas this year on top of Oklahoma is to help with the buyout of DD im pretty sure this game was a late addition from what ive been hearing

You mean Ark. State right? I have seen or heard nothing about Arkansas playing Texas next year, but correct me if I am wrong. They played a home & home series that ended a couple of years ago.

DeLoss Dodds is not going anywhere anytime soon. Why should he? He is one of the most respected ADs in the business, & he is not that old either.

What has changed scheduling is SOS is no longer a singular entity in the BCS (just a part of computer formulas), so scheduling name teams is not as important before conference for major powers (usually 1 name team per year). But the basic outline of a schedule is in place years in advance.

Edit: future UT schedules + conference games TBA

ARKANSAS STATE
TCU
at Central Florida
RICE
KANSAS STATE
vs. Oklahoma (Dallas)^
at Iowa State
at Baylor
NEBRASKA
at Oklahoma State
TEXAS TECH