View Full Version : Story about Celina from AP

3afan
12-15-2006, 06:20 AM
saw this in the Killeen paper:

Celina's smalltown life threatened by growing population
Posted On: Friday, December 15, 2006
By Paul J. Weber
The Associated Press

CELINA – Sprawling development is doing what perhaps no high school team in Texas can: Catch Celina.

Only two more wins seperate Celina from a record eighth state title, which would also make the Bobcats the first school to win consecutive championships after moving up a classification.

But as the Bobcats approach yet another record – the school's 68-game winning streak set from 1998-2002 remains its most renowned benchmark – coach Butch Ford wonders if Celina's history of small-town football will soon be consumed by encroaching growth gobbling up the surrounding farmland.

"It's about to swallow us up," Ford said of the growth creeping north from the Dallas exurbs. "I keep wanting (Celina) to go farther north. I see myself as a small-town person."

So do most people in Celina, a rural outpost of mostly cow-grazed ranch land where supporters spray-paint "Go Bobcats!" on hay bales instead of signs and shoppers can still put groceries on family tabs.

Along the 15-mile drive on Highway 289 into Celina from Frisco, the road narrows from six lanes to two and strip malls and housing developments dissolve into pasture. The only symbol of excess is former Dallas Cowboys star Deion Sanders' massive 30,000-square foot mansion in Prosper that sits like a castle behind iron-wrought gates.

But Celina's seclusion is quickly eroding. This year was the first that Celina's school district experienced double-digit growth (10 percent). Voters also recently approved a $37 million new high school that can serve 1,500 students – a much larger campus than the 500 students Celina's stark, one-story high school across from its football stadium holds.

The school district anticipates so much growth that administrators hired a demographer last year to stay on top of the numbers. But perhaps the most stinging reality: In a little more than a decade, Celina ISD Superintendent Randy Reid said the city won't be a one-high school town any longer.

"It's overwhelming for some people who have lived here for a long time," Reid said. "The vast majority of our coaches and teachers grew up in Celina and this northern area, and they've always known this as a conglomeration of small town. It's hard to consider that getting overrun."

The numbers are already elevating in Ford's program. The Bobcats had about 120 players come out for football this season, up from an average of about 90 only a few years ago. Ford expects to have as many as 150 players by next season, numbers that threaten Celina's unique ability to have varsity-level coaches run its middle-school teams.

The growth evokes comparisons to Southlake Carroll, the state's other eminent football power that won state titles in Class 3A in 1992-93 before eventually growing to Class 5A.

Ford, who's been at Celina for 25 years and started as an assistant under G.A. Moore, said he wants the program to preserve its small-town way of playing football. To that end, he Ford puts an emphasis on continuity and admits that his successor when he decides to retire is already in place within the program.

"To me Celina is still the old way of doing things," Ford said. "I'm not knocking the Carrolls or the Planos. But Celina is the premier program."

BILLYFRED0000
12-15-2006, 09:24 AM
Yes that is what we is afeered of...http://www.wallpapersweb.com/images/thumbs/1217.jpg

WildTexan
12-15-2006, 09:36 AM
we ain't a fraid of a little growth....Ford will stay on as AD and run the program(s) the same way....he won't retire until Celina hits 100 playoff wins, and at this pace that is about 6-7 years away....

Alaska cat
12-15-2006, 04:17 PM
Boy I cant imagine it being a two school town...that would screw everything up(:
Just make it one bigger one so it can just do what it does on a bigger scale

lion75
12-15-2006, 04:24 PM
You guys will be just like Plano Senior High in 10 years. Another average 5A school.

BobcatBenny
12-15-2006, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by lion75
You guys will be just like Plano Senior High in 10 years. Another average 5A school.
And in 10 years Vernon will be getting whipped by Shamrock! :D

VERNONLION#1
12-15-2006, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
And in 10 years Vernon will be getting whipped by Shamrock! :D

:D :D :hand:

Alaska cat
12-15-2006, 06:51 PM
yeah or worse yet..Tex Line:)

charlesrixey
12-15-2006, 08:03 PM
i can only hope they stay with one school like plano

Alaska cat
12-15-2006, 08:17 PM
Plano has 2 at least Charles...East and West at least

Leopards,class of 75
12-15-2006, 08:38 PM
This will be amazing to see Celina win state in 3A the first year after being moved up from 2-A. Back to back titles after moving up is NOT easy! Good luck to the Bobcats!!!!

WildTexan
12-15-2006, 08:43 PM
back to back has never been done....not even the greatness of SLC did it, and we ain't done it yet.....but we do have a chance, so we go for it....and if it happens then all the 8 titles stories and move up stories and all, but it will have just happened that the timing was good, and next year they will all hate me even more.....oh woe is me.....

HA!

and actually a couple of those teams back in the streak could have had a shot to win at the 3A level as good as they were, but we dint have to prove it....

bobcat1
12-15-2006, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Leopards,class of 75
This will be amazing to see Celina win state in 3A the first year after being moved up from 2-A. Back to back titles after moving up is NOT easy! Good luck to the Bobcats!!!! It has never been done in Texas when moving up in classifcation. Tatum will probably do it moving down as they should.