PDA

View Full Version : are coaches with sons playing more likely........

lostaussie
12-14-2006, 11:19 AM
to want to win a championship so bad, that they overlook some things that normally they would have their finger on. where I'm going with this is the so-called lack of disipline. I have not seen Giddings play, only going by what I have read and heard. Also go back to last years Canton team that was continually singled out for their lack of disipline and cheap shots on the field. I know of another 1A team this year that had a son as the star running back. In the game for district championship, coach, son and chain gang were all thrown out of the game. Is it a good thing to be able to coach your kid?....................I'm not looking to get an argument started. Just wondering what others thoughts are on this subject.

20FAN07
12-14-2006, 11:33 AM
I think i am on the same page. They want to see them suceed so much that they just focus on the one player. Its a shame that it happens. Being a WOS fan i never have seen our team undisciplined. They always go out on the field and take care of business the right way. I know other teams around our area and the state would back the statement up. At WOS, around 2 years ago we had a kid that was our quarterback. He was a good student and well rounded person but not a quarterback. We had other kids that could of been much better than he, but it was coaching. The quarterbacks dad was the offensive co. This is kinda different from what you are infering, but the off. co. did the same thing. Instead of putting the best quarterback out he put his son. He looked passed everyone elses talent just to try to get his son to play college ball. Well that year we had a good team but the qb position killed us. It was a shame to see the off. co. sacrifice everyone just to see his son as qb.

tThe past.....................

Blastoderm55
12-14-2006, 11:42 AM
Guess it just all depends on grooming. Our QB is the coach's son, and he's possibly the best athlete in the entire school. Plays both ways and has been leading the team since he was a freshman. Of course the coach would love to win state with his kid, but I don't think its as important as possibly getting him into college and teaching him life lessons along with every single other player on the team. Guess it can't be avoided though, if its the coach who's the rotten egg.

20FAN07
12-14-2006, 11:47 AM
Yah i know see where your coming from. The thing is that Deon beasley was behind him. He was a tremendous athlete, i did not see a reason why deon wasnt the qb. Then again the coach's son couldn't play anywheres else.

lostaussie
12-14-2006, 01:28 PM
lots of readers, not many comments.............maybe a little to touchy, but that is ok. I did want to share a pm that I recieved from one of my many secret admirers. It sums up my thoughts to a T. I didn't write it, but it is exactly what I was thinking.

"I think part of the problem is that there are some coaches so hellbent on getting recognition and "superstar" status for their sons, they forget what one of the biggest parts of their job is.....to "teach" the boys life lessons - how to handle adversity, how to work together to obtain a common goal, etc. "

Not a truer statement I have ever read!!!!!!!!!!

Old Dog
12-14-2006, 01:42 PM
It ought to be great to coach your own kid. Most coaches I've observed were tougher on their kid than any one else. But, a coach must remember that he has from 15-40 "other" kids playing too.....of course most do! He must be a very honest judge of talent and not cram his son down everyones throat if he is a marginal player.

A good example of a team minded coach is Bob Shipley of Burnet. When he came home to Burnet, he was planning to use his son Jordan at QB, but upon seeing Stephen McGee play he quickly altered his ideas and the rest is record book history for both young men!

Panther One
12-14-2006, 01:57 PM
Teams that lack discipline are a direct reflection of the head coach, and it doesn't matter if he has a son on the team or not. Some coaches just don't put an emphasis on sportsmanship.

There is a saying that love is blind. It's hard separating being a coach from being a parent. A lot of coaches are great at it. Some are not. I've seen coaches who are harder on their sons and make them work for everything, and then I've seen coaches who play their sons over more deserving players. Even when the coaches son is the best on the team, is the ulitimate team player, and everything the coaches are doing is to help the team win, you will still have other parents sitting in the bleachers making their coach's son comments.

I've seen a situation similar to the one mentioned where a coach's son started at QB over a better athlete and it raised a lot of controversy, but what everyone failed to understand was that it made the team better. The other player was still an extremely vital part of that team. By playing the great player at another position, it allowed them to get another really good one on the field.

Finally, what some don't realize about coaches' sons is that most of them do have an advantage over other players. They have grown up around the game, know the game better than most of their peers, and live in the same house with the coach. The 8 hour rule doesn't apply to a coach's son. Coaches sons have lived football every minute of every season. It's why you see so many follow their dad's footsteps into coaching. Now this doesn't apply to every situation, but it applies to many.

There will always be controversy over coaches and their sons, whether justified or not.

LH Panther Mom
12-14-2006, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Panther One
Teams that lack discipline are a direct reflection of the head coach, and it doesn't matter if he has a son on the team or not. Some coaches just don't put an emphasis on sportsmanship.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: I grew up with "the coach and the sons" (my brothers) and my sons have played on the same teams as coaches' sons and I couldn't agree more. :)