PDA

View Full Version : DeMeco Ryans - Defensive MVP

Old Tiger
12-14-2006, 11:15 AM
I think he could be defensive ROY and defensive MVP. He leads the league in tackles...:eek: :eek:

Carter what do you think bro?

Adidas410s
12-14-2006, 11:35 AM
He'll likely be Defensive RoY...I think the MVP will go to Urlacher (it shouldn't) or Merriman (he deserves it...but the suspension might cost him). Ryans would definitely be deserving. That guy was a beast at Bama and I was shocked that he dropped to the 2nd round. An excellent pickup by the Texans.

pirate4state
12-14-2006, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
He'll likely be Defensive RoY...I think the MVP will go to Urlacher (it shouldn't) Why don't you think it should go to Urlacher?

awizzy
12-14-2006, 11:46 AM
peppers could be mvp hes had another good year

Adidas410s
12-14-2006, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Why don't you think it should go to Urlacher?
Because I think that Merriman has had a much better year than he has. It's nothing against Urlacher...I'm definitely not questioning his ability or his performance...but what Merriman has done is just sick.

In the 9 games he has played...he's averaging 5 tackles per game (low compared to others...but then again teams fear going to his side at all times), he's leading the league with 12.5 sacks (just under 1.5 sacks/game) and in his last 2 games he's forced 4 fumbles. Since he's returned from his suspension, two weeks ago, he's been a man on a mission with 11 tackles, 4 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, and 2 pass deflections.

Now I think some may hold the suspension over his head...but the things he's doing on the field haven't been done since Ray Lewis back in 2000, 20001.

awizzy
12-14-2006, 12:03 PM
Because I think that Merriman has had a much better year than he has. It's nothing against Urlacher...I'm definitely not questioning his ability or his performance...but what Merriman has done is just sick.

In the 9 games he has played...he's averaging 5 tackles per game (low compared to others...but then again teams fear going to his side at all times), he's leading the league with 12.5 sacks (just under 1.5 sacks/game) and in his last 2 games he's forced 4 fumbles. Since he's returned from his suspension, two weeks ago, he's been a man on a mission with 11 tackles, 4 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, and 2 pass deflections.

Now I think some may hold the suspension over his head...but the things he's doing on the field haven't been done since Ray Lewis back in 2000, 20001.

oh yea i forgot he was out a few games...he is pretty awesome

pirate4state
12-14-2006, 12:04 PM

You're right they'll hold it over his head. What did he do again? I could look it up, but I'm being lazy. :D

Adidas410s
12-14-2006, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
You're right they'll hold it over his head. What did he do again? I could look it up, but I'm being lazy. :D

One of his supplements tested positive for a banned substance. If there is ever a guy that I believe did not knowingly take a steroid it is him. He said, "I don't know what caused the positive test...but I broke a league rule and I will accept the suspension." I was impressed that he didnt try to make a bogus excuse or claim that the tests were lying. If only others would accept their actions and punishment with such class! :clap:

There was a great ESPN the magazine article a while back about his childhood...and boy he had it rough. He's a perfect example of a humble, out of the spotlight guy who was given a chance and he's taken full advantage of it. Since he's come back from the suspension...he's playing even better than he was before...and I'm sure it's to prove to others that his play wasn't reflective of steroids but rather of his athletic abilities.

g$$
12-14-2006, 02:10 PM
He'll likely be Defensive RoY...I think the MVP will go to Urlacher (it shouldn't) or Merriman (he deserves it...but the suspension might cost him). Ryans would definitely be deserving. That guy was a beast at Bama and I was shocked that he dropped to the 2nd round. An excellent pickup by the Texans.

Defensive ROY = Demeco Ryans

MVP (offense) = L. Tomlinson
MVP (defense) = either Urlacher OR Jason Taylor

**don't forget about Taylor from Miami; lots of talk lately about his play & 2 tds this year on defense

**Merriman will be hurt by suspension, but heck of a player

Bulldog_12
12-14-2006, 02:11 PM
I love this. Mario Williams was drafted #1 overall and isn't even the best player on his own defense. Im glad we picked up Demeco. One of the few smart decisions the Texans have ever made.

Bulldog_12
12-14-2006, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by g$$

MVP (offense) = L. Tomlinson

I disagree. I think this will be Drew Brees. It's a win/win situation seeing as both deserve it, but Brees took a team that won 3 games last year to the playoffs. There is nobody more valuable to their team right now than Brees.

Blastoderm55
12-14-2006, 02:15 PM
One of his supplements tested positive for a banned substance. If there is ever a guy that I believe did not knowingly take a steroid it is him. He said, "I don't know what caused the positive test...but I broke a league rule and I will accept the suspension." I was impressed that he didnt try to make a bogus excuse or claim that the tests were lying. If only others would accept their actions and punishment with such class! :clap:

There was a great ESPN the magazine article a while back about his childhood...and boy he had it rough. He's a perfect example of a humble, out of the spotlight guy who was given a chance and he's taken full advantage of it. Since he's come back from the suspension...he's playing even better than he was before...and I'm sure it's to prove to others that his play wasn't reflective of steroids but rather of his athletic abilities.

Is Merriman the player who's allergic to grass? I think it was one of the SD players.

Adidas410s
12-14-2006, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Is Merriman the player who's allergic to grass? I think it was one of the SD players.

haha...that was a great Mayne Event last week. It wasn't Merriman though...I'll have to go look at a roster and then I'll remember who it was. I'm thinking Donny Edwards off the top of my head.

Old Tiger
LT will get offensive MVP since he broke the Shaun Alexander's record and about to break Paul Hornung's record too. Bree's will be forgotten after that.

Old Tiger
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Is Merriman the player who's allergic to grass? I think it was one of the SD players. lol....No but I saw that interview by kenny mayne

g$$
12-14-2006, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
I disagree. I think this will be Drew Brees. It's a win/win situation seeing as both deserve it, but Brees took a team that won 3 games last year to the playoffs. There is nobody more valuable to their team right now than Brees.

Good point, could go either way, but nice to see 2 Texas guys in the running. Probably depends on how they finish.

San Diego traded down instead of taking Vick @ #1 - took Tomlinson 1st round & Brees 2nd round & acquired Tim Dwight in the deal too. That is exactly what Houston should have done last year to get more players instead of DE Mario Williams.

BTW, Mario Williams was not the best defensive player on his college team. That guy plays in San Fran now. Ryans was a great pick, as was last year's draft overall (Williams but not #1 overall, Ryans, Spencer, Winston, Daniels, etc.). It's the previous 4 years that were terrible (Wand, Joppru, Hollings, Hill, Travis Johnson, etc.).

g$$
12-14-2006, 02:24 PM
haha...that was a great Mayne Event last week. It wasn't Merriman though...I'll have to go look at a roster and then I'll remember who it was. I'm thinking Donny Edwards off the top of my head.

It was Edwards, LB from UCLA originally.

carter08
12-15-2006, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
I think he could be defensive ROY and defensive MVP. He leads the league in tackles...:eek: :eek:

Carter what do you think bro?

DeMeco has been great this year. One of the few good players Casserly drafted.

LitanyofFury
12-15-2006, 12:58 PM
If Vince wins out or even 2 of his last three and plays well in them I think he has it locked up. The fans definitely love him already as he's been voted Rookie of the Week 3 weeks in a row now, more than any other rookie.

If not Vince then Colston or Hester IMHO even tho Hester only returns kicks and actually plays on defense. . .that kid is insane.

DeMeco should definitely get a defensive award tho. He looks like he should have been drafted first by the Texans instead of Mario.

g$$
12-15-2006, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by carter08
DeMeco has been great this year. One of the few good players Casserly drafted.

WRONG. Yes, Casserly was still on staff but he did not make the picks in last year's draft. He was the information guy - not the guy in charge. Last year's draft overall was very good for Houston. But check out some of the previous 4 years for guys drafted in 1st 3 rounds & FAs/trades too:

Ragone (released)
Gaffney (released by Houston & Philly, now back-up at New England)
Hollings (released)
C. Hill (released)
Wand (released)
Joppru (released)
T. Johnson (barely on team, now hurt again)
Babin (plays sparingly)
Buchanon (traded 2 high picks, now cut)
Wade (FA, cut, now with Redskins)
etc.

Casserly was & is a joke to football.

tigerpride_08
12-15-2006, 07:00 PM
i deff see him winning R.O.Y defensively...

necks_c/09
12-16-2006, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by g$$
It's the previous 4 years that were terrible (Wand, Joppru, Hollings, Hill, Travis Johnson, etc.).

but u do have to remember that dunta robinson and jason babin turned out pretty good though...

carter08
12-16-2006, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by necks_c/09
but u do have to remember that dunta robinson and jason babin turned out pretty good though...

Um
What
Yes, Dunta turned out to be an alright player
but Babin has done nothing thus far in his career

charlesrixey
12-16-2006, 04:45 PM
i disagree with some about brees and LT

LT is just as important to his team as brees, and he is making Rivers look good

LT also broke the touchdown record with 3!!! games remaining

that is unprecedented, with 26 TD's in 9 games

That's more than all but one other player had in 16, ever!

Brees should be the second choice, although what he has done would have made him the favorite in any other year

necks_c/09
12-17-2006, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by carter08
Um
What
Yes, Dunta turned out to be an alright player
but Babin has done nothing thus far in his career

key word...pretty good not great....babin plays pretty well when he is in....he doesnt get in very much though....i guess there is a reason for that though huh???

bulldogman06
12-18-2006, 01:48 AM
A.J. Hawk could be in consideration as well, he has a whole lot of tackles this year.

Oh, and Shawne Merriman is an animal, he is the most entertaining football player I have ever seen, strong enough to run over good tackle, fast enough to run down a good rb/wr, and a good leader as well. the two best players in the league play on the same team, on each side of the ball

g$$
12-18-2006, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by necks_c/09

Robinson = yes, solid player
Babin = NO, sure not worthy of a #1 pick & gave up 3 draft picks to move up to get him (still not an every down player, comes in on passing downs only)

Casserly at his best!