PDA

View Full Version : John Wayne Trivia

Phil C
12-14-2006, 10:09 AM
There are 8 movies made in which the great actor John Wayne dies. Name them.

Funk-d-fied
12-14-2006, 10:12 AM
Stagecoach (1939), She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949), The Quiet Man (1952), The Searchers (1956), The Wings of Eagles (1957), and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962).

I think those are some...

Funk-d-fied
12-14-2006, 10:14 AM
I could be wrong but he only died in 7 movies and he had 4 movies where his death wa snot shown in the movie itself...

Butkus
12-14-2006, 10:14 AM
Reap the Wild Wind (1942)
The Fighting Seabees (1944)
Wake of the Red Witch (1949)
The Sands of Iwo Jima (1949)
The Alamo (1960)
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)
The Cowboys (1972)
The Shootist (1976)

Funk-d-fied
12-14-2006, 10:15 AM
Contrary to popular belief, Wayne's character did die in seven of his films. His death is seen in the following films:
The Shootist — After winning a seemingly hopeless gunfight with three opponents simultaneously, he is shot by the bartender, played by Hobbie Hutton (Damiper) and is then avenged by Ron Howard's character.
The Cowboys — He is killed by Bruce Dern's character.
The Alamo — Playing Davy Crockett, he's stabbed with a lance, then staggers into the ammunition room with a lit torch and blows it up.
Sands of Iwo Jima — He is killed at the end of the film by a bullet fired by a Japanese sniper who was hiding in a concealed hole who was played by Hobie Hutton (Daimper).
Wake of the Red Witch — He drowns when the sunken ship he is trying to salvage shifts and drops further into the ocean, carrying him with it.
The Fighting Seabees — He is shot by a sniper as he attempts to egress from a bulldozer loaded with TNT aimed at a fuel depot.
Reap the Wild Wind — He is trapped inside the wreck of a sunken ship after a fight with a giant squid and drowns.
His character death is not shown in the following:
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance — His character is dead at the beginning of the film and the story is told in flashback by James Stewart, who is attending his funeral.
The Sea Chase — Lana Turner and Wayne are on a ship when it sinks, but the possibility that the characters survived is left open.
The Deceiver — Ian Keith's character died, but the corpse was played by John Wayne.
Central Airport — John Wayne has a very minor role as the co-pilot of an aircraft that crashes into the ocean.

Do I get a prize?

Phil C
12-14-2006, 10:29 AM
But and Funk you both get the Way to go prize! WTG But and WTG Funk. Magnificient research.

BTEXDAD
12-14-2006, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Funk-d-fied
His death is seen in the following films:
The Shootist — After winning a seemingly hopeless gunfight with three opponents simultaneously, he is shot by the bartender, played by Hobbie Hutton (Damiper) and is then avenged by Ron Howard's character.
Sands of Iwo Jima — He is killed at the end of the film by a bullet fired by a Japanese sniper who was hiding in a concealed hole who was played by Hobie Hutton (Daimper).

So this Hobie Hutton (Daimper) killed him twice?

Would be interesting to know info about how many times killed on some of the other movie hero/legends. Chuck Norris, Steven Segal, Clint Eastwood, etc.

g$$
12-14-2006, 02:46 PM
John Wayne trivia:

Give me his real name & where he played college football?

&

Where was The Alamo filmed?

g$$
12-14-2006, 03:00 PM

g$$
12-14-2006, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by g$$
John Wayne trivia:

Give me his real name & where he played college football?

&

Where was The Alamo filmed?

Come on people!

Marion Morrison
U. of Southern California (USC)
Offensive Tackle

&

filmed just outside of Brackettville, TX & still there today (pretty neat if you ever get a chance)

rundoe
12-14-2006, 03:03 PM
The Alamo was filmed on a set built especially for that movie, In Brackettville, TX.

Funk-d-fied
12-14-2006, 03:03 PM
i would of answered that if i had the time....

g$$
12-14-2006, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by rundoe
The Alamo was filmed on a set built especially for that movie.

I know, the real Alamo is in San Antonio! That's why it is called a movie set! And what was built is still there today.

rundoe
12-14-2006, 03:05 PM
what movie did John Wayne say:

" Life is hard, Son. It's harder when your stupid.":thinking:

Adidas410s
12-14-2006, 03:07 PM
I wonder why they chose Brackettville...maybe for it's proximity to Acuna? :thinking: ;) :D

rundoe
12-14-2006, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I know, the real Alamo is in San Antonio! That's why it is called a movie set! And what was built is still there today.

I think thats what i said????

So where was the Dennis Quaid version shot? ( i know the answer)

g$$
12-14-2006, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I wonder why they chose Brackettville...maybe for it's proximity to Acuna? :thinking: ;) :D

Probably cheap labor. Don't even mention Acunia & the Corona Club to me - good times & lost a few years of my life there! Been 3 times over some New Year's & what a blast. Deer hunting in Junction area, take a shower & clean up, head to Del Rio & cab across the border. Never went to Boys' Town though.

Phil C
12-14-2006, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Come on people!

Marion Morrison
U. of Southern California (USC)
Offensive Tackle

&

filmed just outside of Brackettville, TX & still there today (pretty neat if you ever get a chance)

You need to give us more time g. Patience!

g$$
12-14-2006, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
You need to give us more time g. Patience!

Check the times - almost 20 minutes! Sorry guys.

Funk-d-fied
12-14-2006, 03:14 PM
answer my trivia game questions...

Phil C
12-14-2006, 04:02 PM
It was the same place as John Wayne filmed his version. Alamo Village near Brackettville, Texas.

Phil C
12-14-2006, 04:05 PM
About 12 years ago Freer met Brackettville in a playoff football game in 2A. On about the second play a Brackettville player got behind the Freer defender and caught a perfectly thrown pass and ran it it in for a long td run. They were ahead 7 to 0. It was short lived as Freer took the kickoff and marched down the field to tie it up 7 - 7. The Freer defense held and then scored and it was 14 to 7 Freer. It turned out there was to be no upset for Brackettville because Freer was ahead 28 to 7. By the start of the second quarter. This was the start of a Freer win by the score of 70 to 7.

Phil C
12-19-2006, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Funk-d-fied
Contrary to popular belief, Wayne's character did die in seven of his films. His death is seen in the following films:
The Cowboys — He is killed by Bruce Dern's character.
The Alamo — Playing Davy Crockett, he's stabbed with a lance, then staggers into the ammunition room with a lit torch and blows it up.
Wake of the Red Witch — He drowns when the sunken ship he is trying to salvage shifts and drops further into the ocean, carrying him with it.
The Fighting Seabees — He is shot by a sniper as he attempts to egress from a bulldozer loaded with TNT aimed at a fuel depot.
Reap the Wild Wind — He is trapped inside the wreck of a sunken ship after a fight with a giant squid and drowns.
His character death is not shown in the following:
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance — His character is dead at the beginning of the film and the story is told in flashback by James Stewart, who is attending his funeral.
The Sea Chase — Lana Turner and Wayne are on a ship when it sinks, but the possibility that the characters survived is left open.
The Deceiver — Ian Keith's character died, but the corpse was played by John Wayne.
Central Airport — John Wayne has a very minor role as the co-pilot of an aircraft that crashes into the ocean.

Do I get a prize?

Great research Funk! One that also may qualify very early in his career was the 1928 movie Hangman's House (probably a silent movie). Wayne had two small parts. One was as a horse race spectator and other as a condemned man in a flashback.