PDA

View Full Version : This Tourney was a joke

Old Tiger
12-13-2006, 10:34 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/alltimeNCF/bracket?lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos1

Read and discuss.

thatsminty
12-13-2006, 10:39 PM
casey YOURE the joke

and shwhaat @ ND

kepdawg
12-13-2006, 10:44 PM
yes it was

Phil C
12-14-2006, 09:11 AM
As Robin Hood would say "A nice farse indeed!"

:)

Adidas410s
12-14-2006, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by thatsminty
casey YOU'RE the joke

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Adidas410s
12-14-2006, 09:30 AM
Alright Casey...since you think it was a joke...explain why. You seem to love to share your opinions. Here's your chance! ;)

Old Tiger
12-14-2006, 09:34 AM
The last two teams being both Nebraska? Yea right no way that the best two college football teams ever were Nebraska. '95 team yes but the other one doubtful. It was fan based also so it just proves that Nebraska fans can utilize the internet.

Adidas410s
12-14-2006, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
The last two teams being both Nebraska? Yea right no way that the best two college football teams ever were Nebraska. '95 team yes but the other one doubtful. It was fan based also so it just proves that Nebraska fans can utilize the internet.

Remind me when you saw the 71 Nebraska team play again...:thinking: After all, you were what...about 8 when the 95 team played?

Old Tiger
12-14-2006, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Remind me when you saw the 71 Nebraska team play again...:thinking: After all, you were what...about 8 when the 95 team played? And you were alive too? All I am saying is that this tourney proves nothing and it's rediculous. My top 3 all tim in no particular order would have to be 05 Texas, 01 Miami, and 95 Nebraska. It's absurd to think that the 'two greatest' teams of all time were from the same school.

Adidas410s
12-14-2006, 09:49 AM
And you were alive too? All I am saying is that this tourney proves nothing and it's rediculous. My top 3 all tim in no particular order would have to be 05 Texas, 01 Miami, and 95 Nebraska. It's absurd to think that the 'two greatest' teams of all time were from the same school.

I'm not the one stating that a team from the 70's that I never watched play can't be one of the greatest all time teams. I think it's absurd that you think the 3 greatest teams would be from the last 10 years...because that's all that you've really seen.

Old Tiger
12-14-2006, 09:52 AM
44 and 45 army were good :)

Mr. Inside and Mr. Outside :)

GreenMonster
12-14-2006, 09:52 AM
And you were alive too? All I am saying is that this tourney proves nothing and it's rediculous. My top 3 all tim in no particular order would have to be 05 Texas, 01 Miami, and 95 Nebraska. It's absurd to think that the 'two greatest' teams of all time were from the same school.

I don't know the parameters of the tournament, but if you compare each team to the other teams of their era these 2 were probably the most dominant. I think the '71 team would get hammered if time warped into today's college football scene. Not big enough, fast enough, or talented enough any more. On the other hand, the 95 team would be right there in the hunt for a National Championship right now. That team was nasty. Big, fast, and just plain mean. The offensive line on that team was a road grader.

Old Tiger
12-14-2006, 09:55 AM
I'm not the one stating that a team from the 70's that I never watched play can't be one of the greatest all time teams. I think it's absurd that you think the 3 greatest teams would be from the last 10 years...because that's all that you've really seen. Look at the talent of 01 Miami I believe 24 players or so off that team went to or is in the league right now. 17 or so players on that roster were 1st round picks.

Look at the 05 Texas team. They had a lot of talent also and perhaps the best QB in college football history.

Butkus
12-14-2006, 10:05 AM
They had a lot of talent also and perhaps the best QB in college football history. Ya no ole GreenMonster it kinda blows me away sumtimes tha things these younguns say bout tha best teams and best players. Some of them wus still crappin green when these teams and players were in tha game. Younguns at least do some readin before ya start a spoutin.:D

Old Tiger
12-14-2006, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Butkus
Ya no ole GreenMonster it kinda blows me away sumtimes tha things these younguns say bout tha best teams and best players. Some of them wus still crappin green when these teams and players were in tha game. Younguns at least do some readin before ya start a spoutin.:D We have our bias opinions true. If you did reading you would just read more bias opinions that are toward that team. That is how it works so it is basically bias vs. bias.

Butkus
12-14-2006, 10:08 AM
We have our bias opinions true. If you did reading you would just read more bias opinions that are toward that team. That is how it works so it is basically bias vs. bias. Youngun dont read opinions read facts and history. Big difference.:thumbsup:

Adidas410s
12-14-2006, 10:08 AM
We have our bias opinions true. If you did reading you would just read more bias opinions that are toward that team. That is how it works so it is basically bias vs. bias.

Are you making any sense here??? You wrote the word bias 4 times...and not one time does it make sense how you used it. Try again bud...

Adidas410s
12-14-2006, 10:09 AM
Youngun dont read opinions read facts and history. Big difference.:thumbsup:

Don't ask for too much out of him now. He prefers to a) say whatever comes to mind, b) repeact the thoughts of others as if they were his own and c) not consider things such as facts and history...

Old Tiger
12-14-2006, 10:10 AM
Youngun dont read opinions read facts and history. Big difference.:thumbsup: You can read the facts on the depth chart the huge size difference and speed difference from a player in the 70's and a player of modern day and especially with the schemes now days.

pirate4state
12-14-2006, 10:12 AM
Jeez louise - everyone is entitled to an opinion even if you don't agree with it!!! You two (Adidas & Tiger WR) need to sit on opposite ends of the class. :rolleyes:

Here's what this reminds me of:

"he's touching me" "he won't stop looking at me" :devil:

blah, blah, blah....

Adidas410s
12-14-2006, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Jeez louise - everyone is entitled to an opinion even if you don't agree with it!!! You two (Adidas & Tiger WR) need to sit on opposite ends of the class. :rolleyes:

blah, blah, blah....

Read what you first wrote...everybody is entitled to his/her opinion even if you don't agree with it. Which also means that as a respondant I'm allowed to voice my disagreeance over his opinion! ;)

Butkus
12-14-2006, 10:20 AM

blah, blah, blah.... Whurs those monkeys.:D

pirate4state
12-14-2006, 10:25 AM
Read what you first wrote...everybody is entitled to his/her opinion even if you don't agree with it. Which also means that as a respondant I'm allowed to voice my disagreeance over his opinion! ;) I know you can, but do you think you can be a little more civil??

Adidas410s
12-14-2006, 10:31 AM
I know you can, but do you think you can be a little more civil??

It is civil...there's nothing ugly about it.

LH Panther Mom
12-14-2006, 10:33 AM
It is civil...there's nothing ugly about it.
Calling him a pompous ass is civil?

GreenMonster
12-14-2006, 10:43 AM
To say that Vince Young was the greatest QB in college football history is a bit much. He is only 1 year removed. Let it simmer for about 10 years and then look back on it. True greatness stands the test of time. By making that statement you are sure disrespecting a whole lot of really great players. I can name several that have withstood the test of time. JC Watts, Doc Blanchard, Sammy Baugh, Turner Gill, Houston Street for Pete's sake. You see one guy that was pretty good and you automatically annoint him the greatest. Like I said, let it simmer for about 10 years and then make that statement if you still feel that way.

Old Tiger
12-14-2006, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
To say that Vince Young was the greatest QB in college football history is a bit much. He is only 1 year removed. Let it simmer for about 10 years and then look back on it. True greatness stands the test of time. By making that statement you are sure disrespecting a whole lot of really great players. I can name several that have withstood the test of time. JC Watts, Doc Blanchard, Sammy Baugh, Turner Gill, Houston Street for Pete's sake. You see one guy that was pretty good and you automatically annoint him the greatest. Like I said, let it simmer for about 10 years and then make that statement if you still feel that way. Re-read the post I did not say he was the greatest.

and perhaps the best QB in college football history. I never did state that he was the best QB.

GreenMonster
12-14-2006, 10:45 AM
You can read the facts on the depth chart the huge size difference and speed difference from a player in the 70's and a player of modern day and especially with the schemes now days. You just can't compare a team from then to now. You have to compare them to the competition of their day and age. The 71 team was the most dominant college football team of that era hands down.

mustang68
12-14-2006, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

Have you read the same thread I have? Where does he say this?

GreenMonster
Re-read the post I did not say he was the greatest.

I never did state that he was the best QB.

True, but you insinuated it or the comment would not have been in there at all. He was good. Should have come back for another year to cement his greatness. I think Texas wins another title if he comes back even with that pitiful defense.

DaHop72
Re-read the post I did not say he was the greatest.

I never did state that he was the best QB. Okay, so what were you saying when you said "perhaps the BEST QB in college football history":thinking: :thinking:

Old Tiger
12-14-2006, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by DaHop72
Okay, so what were you saying when you said "perhaps the BEST QB in college football history":thinking: :thinking: I'm talking about his legacy if it holds up and if his NFL career is great then it will affect his reputation as a college QB.

Adidas410s
12-14-2006, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
It wasn't a statement....it was a question. However...trying to argue with you is like trying to pull a tractor out of the mud with a Toyota Camry....you're not going to get anywhere! ;)

DaHop72
12-14-2006, 10:55 AM
I'm talking about his legacy if it holds up and if his NFL career is great then it will affect his reputation as a college QB. A lot of speculation at this point. Now about that Montana guy.:thinking: Gosh, I still hate him, but he was a winner.:D

GreenMonster
12-14-2006, 10:56 AM
I'm talking about his legacy if it holds up and his NFL career is great then it will effect his reputation as a college QB.

I disagree, pro career and college career are totally seperate. Many of the all-time great college QB's never even played pro football. Many of the great pro QB's were less than spectacular college QB's. Two totally different monsters that cannot be mixed.

Adidas410s
12-14-2006, 10:58 AM
A lot of speculation at this point. Now about that Montana guy.:thinking: Gosh, I still hate him, but he was a winner.:D

SHOW SOME COMPASSION!!! :mad:

Besides...Montana was no Troy Aikman! ;)

Old Tiger
12-14-2006, 10:58 AM
A lot of speculation at this point. Now about that Montana guy.:thinking: Gosh, I still hate him, but he was a winner.:D Here is a good one Rick...

Paco: Look at Bobby tackle. I haven't seen a tackle like that since Joe Montana.
Walter: Joe Montana was a quarterback, you idiot.
Paco: I said Joe Mantegna.

Old Tiger
12-14-2006, 10:59 AM
I disagree, pro career and college career are totally seperate. Many of the all-time great college QB's never even played pro football. Many of the great pro QB's were less than spectacular college QB's. Two totally different monsters that cannot be mixed. They tie together in this perspective: If a players career is great in the NFL it will date back to their playing days in college. Media refers to past great NFL quarterbacks and they always bring up their most memorable moments in college which will in a weird way affect it.

Adidas410s
12-14-2006, 11:03 AM
I disagree, pro career and college career are totally seperate. Many of the all-time great college QB's never even played pro football. Many of the great pro QB's were less than spectacular college QB's. Two totally different monsters that cannot be mixed.

Very true indeed. The list of QB's that had success at one level but not the other is a mile long. Even though the NFL systems are evolving to fit the players coming out of college...it's still a different game that some do not adjust to very well.

Phil C
12-14-2006, 11:06 AM
I don't think Bart Starr's college career was too distinguished and his first few years as a pro was not too great but later he was one of the best leading his team to five championships.

DaHop72
12-14-2006, 11:10 AM
Here is a good one Rick...

Paco: Look at Bobby tackle. I haven't seen a tackle like that since Joe Montana.
Walter: Joe Montana was a quarterback, you idiot.
Paco: I said Joe Mantegna.
@ Tiger WR quit calling me by my real name.http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/5449/hystericalyl9.gif (http://imageshack.us)http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/5449/hystericalyl9.gif (http://imageshack.us)http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/5449/hystericalyl9.gif (http://imageshack.us)http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/5449/hystericalyl9.gif (http://imageshack.us)

j/k don't answer with what we would say in the chat room.:D

Adidas410s
12-14-2006, 11:10 AM
They tie together in this perspective: If a players career is great in the NFL it will date back to their playing days in college. Media refers to past great NFL quarterbacks and they always bring up their most memorable moments in college which will in a weird way affect it.

Not really...

Dan Marino
John Elway
Jim Kelly

You don't think of these players as playing for "Pitt, Stanford, and Miami." Heck...until recently I had no idea that Kelly played at Miami. However, you certainly think of them as playing for the Dolphins, Broncos, and Bills. You immediately think of the Super Bowls that they played in and the other great games that they were involved in. Very rarely will you see college highlights of these guys.

Yes with a Leinart, Young, and/or Cutler...you will still see their college careers mentioned. That's because they don't yet have an NFL career. They've only played a few games, have very little "highlight footage" and they're still best known for their work in college. If they become a success in the NFL...much of that will be forgotten. If they are average NFL QB's...there colllege legacy will shine bright for years to come. To further prove my point...

Herschel Walker
Earl Campbell
Archie Griffin

All players that had good NFL careers...but they weren't shattering records like crazy. They are better known for their accomplishments in college. The other night on ESPN was the first time I've ever seen footage of Emmitt @ Florida on TV. Why??? Because though he was a good college back...he's regarded as one of the greats of the NFL so that is where his legacy will be.

TheDOCTORdre
12-14-2006, 12:14 PM
i think they have the bracket pretty accurate up until the bottom bracket of the quarterfinals, I think '04 USC would beat '71 Nebraska and would set up a great semi final match with '05 Texas. Top part of the bracket is great '95 Nebraska was great and would roll into the finals no matter where they were placed in the bracket. Of course to do this even more accurately considering it is college football is to scrap the playoff format and put in some BCS equations... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: