6. Clarksville
7. Hearne
8. Lufkin Hudson
9. Gonzales
10. Pittsburg

[This message has been edited by Matthew328 (edited January 03, 2002).]

toby070
01-03-2002, 11:06 PM
I know, same story, different verse, but my Wimberley boys will work their way into that list in basketball as well. They gave Hempstead all they could handle last year in the playoffs, and they lost only two kids from that team (though good ones to be sure...the Polanco twins).

Go Texans!!!!!

deliriousmaniac
01-04-2002, 11:55 PM
Glen Rose allways puts out a good team. I know they lost alot from last year, but look for them to do well. I'll be happy as can be if my Bearcats can make the playoffs again. I think they will, they beat a very good Lake Worth team for the first game of district play.

[This message has been edited by deliriousmaniac (edited January 04, 2002).]

Matthew328
01-05-2002, 07:10 PM
I agree Glen Rose usually puts out a great team...but if you guys think Region 1 is bad in football they got nothing on basketball!! I'm not bashing Region 1 but lately they haven't had it in hoops...for example last year Dimmit advanced to Austin and was beaten by 30 by CC West Oso out of Region 4..then in the other semi-final Mexia and Gainesville played a great game with Mexia winning by 3 in OT...Mexia then proceeded to beat West Oso by 40 in the state tittle game..outta tell you a lil something about where the power in hoops lies in Texas...

Newton4Life
01-06-2002, 02:14 PM
Newton should be ranked somewhere in basketball. This is the best team that they have had in a long time. They have already beat Hamshire-Fannett, who knocked them out of the playoffs last year and #9 Hardin-Jefferson in the PNG classic this past weekend. Even Kirbyville is ranked in the top 20. I think that the Newton Eagles deserve some credit for their basketball team. With the Isom Twins leading the way, Newton should go far in the playoffs.

[This message has been edited by Newton4Life (edited January 06, 2002).]

Old Cardinal
01-06-2002, 03:07 PM
Matt 328, I just saw the score on Ozen and Kountze it was 76-67......What that means is that Kountze(who many say are #1 in 3A actually stayed on the court with the #5 nationally ranked and the #1 State ranked 4A team! Ozen has played all over the country in the Super tournaments and have not lost a statewide game in 44 outings! That tells me that all the Polls saying Kountze is #1 just might be right. It will be interesting again this year.

Old Cardinal
01-06-2002, 03:08 PM
Matt 328, I just saw the score on Ozen and Kountze it was 76-67......What that means is that Kountze(who many say are #1 in 3A actually stayed on the court with the #5 nationally ranked and the #1 State ranked 4A team!) Ozen has played all over the country in the Super tournaments and have not lost a statewide game in 44 outings! That tells me that all the Polls saying Kountze is #1 just might be right. It will be interesting again this year.

Matthew328
01-06-2002, 04:21 PM
Kountze is very up and down....they play really well at home but then away from their home court they don't play nearly as well...for example their performance in the Whataburger Tourney..Kountze is one of the favorites in a tough Region 3 still though...I think they'll be the Region 3 rep but watch out for Crockett, Hearne, Hudson, LaVega and yes Newton..

Newton4Life
01-07-2002, 09:46 PM
Newton should really be ranked now...after playing a tough game against Kountze tonight. Even though the eagles lost they stayed neck and neck with the lions the whole game until the last few minutes of the 4th quarter when the lions pulled ahead. Newton never let Kountze get ahead of them at the beginnning of the game. The first time they got ahead by 1 was a few seconds before half time. With the final score being 80 to 72, Newton played a very good game considering they had 2 players out and had to move up 2 freshman. Good luck Eagles!

duckbutter
01-08-2002, 10:55 AM
I'll have to admitt that I broke down and went to watch my first basketball game in 10 yrs. I was VERY impressed with the way Newton played Kountze last night and they should go far in the playoffs this yr.

eye of the tiger
01-08-2002, 02:54 PM
From the Dallas Morning News on Tuesday.

Everman gaining strength at right time
Since the return of four key players from Everman's Class 3A state championship football team, coach Brian Hannas' basketball team has won six of seven games.
"We've had a great schedule," Hannas said. "Our record may not be outstanding, but I don't care. It makes a difference in the level of play for our kids."

Everman, which defeated state-ranked Whitehouse and Gainesville in the span, lost to Austin LBJ in the finals of the Class 4A Whataburger Tournament.

rholl
01-09-2002, 05:17 PM
So can Everman "double dip" on state titles this yr.? Now that they have split 2 games with Gainesville.....what are top teams from the other regions that they might face if they manage to get out of Region 2?

Old Cardinal
01-10-2002, 01:46 PM
Yes Newton should be ranked!