PDA

View Full Version : No. 9 Eagles cruise over Hearne

mwynn05
12-13-2006, 01:13 PM
It seems like every time the Fairfield boys basketball team even sniffs adversity, it responds.

After finding out that last season’s leading scorer Alfraid Manning would be out for a couple more weeks with an injured shoulder, Billy McMillian and the No. 9-ranked Eagles dominated Class 2A Hearne, 81-54.

McMillian scored a game-high 19 points on 9-of-13 shooting, but four players scored in the double-digits, including Jarrett Manning with 17 points. Jarrett, who leads Fairfield in scoring this season, has stepped up this season to cover the loss of Alfraid.

“(Alfraid) had a strength test on his shoulder and it still wasn’t where the doctors wanted it to be,” Eagles coach Joey Worley said. “They’re going to try again in a few weeks.”

Even with Alfraid out, Fairfield has two other players out because of injury.

That’s caused Worley to rely on other players, not just his corps of seniors — Manning, McMillian and Nolan Melontree.

Players like Phillip Ireland, who had 12 rebounds Thursday, and Eric Palmer (13 points, 7 rebounds) are making big contributions to the team.

The Eagles’ platoon of viable players is making it difficult for opposing teams.

Even Hearne, which made it two rounds in the playoffs last season, couldn’t keep up with a tough Fairfield defense.

According to Worley, the Eagles played their second-best first half of basketball, holding Hearne (2-2) to 17 points. Earlier in the year, Fairfield held Athens to nine first-half points.

Even with their best player out, the Eagles (12-0) are winning. Maybe it’s because Fairfield has more than one best player.

“We have about four that could have a huge night anytime,” Worley said. “But every night somebody fills in — that’s an advantage.”

Old Tiger
12-13-2006, 01:20 PM
Can I bandwagon FF b-ball?

coach
12-13-2006, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Can I bandwagon FF b-ball?

sure go right ahead but just warning you we have a toough whataburger tourney in 3 weeks

Old Tiger
12-13-2006, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by coach
sure go right ahead but just warning you we have a toough whataburger tourney in 3 weeks I'll bandwagon through thick and thin :)

mwynn05
12-13-2006, 01:22 PM
sure go right ahead but just warning you we have a toough whataburger tourney in 3 weeks and if Alfraid isn't back...which isnt looking good according to that...it will be REALLY tough

coach
12-13-2006, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
and if Alfraid isn't back...which isnt looking good according to that...it will be REALLY tough

will he be back after xmas

mwynn05
12-13-2006, 01:28 PM
will he be back after xmas He told me he was hoping this week but I guess that didn't happen I think he might go back before Whataburger dono though

Fotbol
12-13-2006, 02:16 PM
so Who was the best competition betwix Hearne (2A) and Marlin (2A)?

mwynn05
12-13-2006, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Fotbol
so Who was the best competition betwix Hearne (2A) and Marlin (2A)? To be honest I can't say becasue I didn't see either game...same for coach and ev

eagles_victory
12-13-2006, 04:08 PM
I wasnt too impressed from what I saw outta Marlin in the ff tournament. From what I saw early in the year i was a little worried about us but we have looked fantastic as of late. If we can keep this up and incorprate Alfraid back in the system we are going to be hard to stop. Eric Palmer when he is playing were that much better because he is our tempo guy that pushes the game in a favorable tempo for us.