PDA

View Full Version : 1st down after 5 yard penalty

CenTexSports
12-13-2006, 12:35 PM
I meant to post this after Sunday's game. Al Michaels (sp) was upset over a five yard penalty that left the team with 4th and 3 inches but without a measurement. He said it was the dumbest thing (or something similar) he had ever seen. What he did not know is that every Head Linesman always marks his chains before the start of the game where the exact center of the 10 yards is just for this type of situation. The ref will come over to the HL and ask him what the placement of the ball will be after the five yard penalty based on the positin of the down marker and this mark on the chain before the penalty.

That is why the ref announced it would be 4th and 3 inches without a measurement.

mwynn05
12-13-2006, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
I meant to post this after Sunday's game. Al Michaels (sp) was upset over a five yard penalty that left the team with 4th and 3 inches but without a measurement. He said it was the dumbest thing (or something similar) he had ever seen. What he did not know is that every Head Linesman always marks his chains before the start of the game where the exact center of the 10 yards is just for this type of situation. The ref will come over to the HL and ask him what the placement of the ball will be after the five yard penalty based on the positin of the down marker and this mark on the chain before the penalty.

That is why the ref announced it would be 4th and 3 inches without a measurement. They corrected themselves a few minutes later.

CenTexSports
12-13-2006, 12:38 PM
OK, I was about 3/4 asleep when he said it the first time and I must have dosed off by the time he made the retraction.

Old Tiger
12-13-2006, 12:42 PM
That was funny....he went on a tear

Bearkat
12-13-2006, 02:34 PM
Al Michaels was having a bad day. Did you hear his comment after Reggie Bush caught the ball and had the long TD run. He said, "What the hell were they thinking?" (Talking about the Texans not drafting Bush)

Adidas410s
12-13-2006, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Bearkat
Al Michaels was having a bad day. Did you hear his comment after Reggie Bush caught the ball and had the long TD run. He said, "What the hell were they thinking?" (Talking about the Texans not drafting Bush)
yeah...he said "what the hell" a few times on Sunday night. I got a good laugh...