PDA

View Full Version : Palestine 80 Crockett 78

texasjeremy
12-13-2006, 10:51 AM
Palestine rallies over Crockett, 80-78

The Palestine Herald

By SCOTT TYLER

H-P Sports Editor

CROCKETT – All Palestine’s Kevin Birdow wanted was a chance to redeem himself.

Birdow had just missed two free throws with 23 seconds left in a tied game against Crockett Monday night and the Wildcat senior got his chance.

Birdow made a pair of free throws with six seconds left and Palestine, which trailed by as many as 16 points, rallied for an 80-78 win over the Bulldogs.

“Anytime you can come into Crockett and win, it is huge,” Palestine head coach Jamie Driskell said. “It is right up there with a district win and hopefully this will get the kids going.”

Birdow, who scored six of his 12 points in the final two and a half minutes of the game, got a steal with less than 30 seconds left and was fouled going up for a layup with the game tied, 78-78.

Birdow missed both shots, with the second going out of bounds, but he got a chance for redemption when Crockett threw the ball out of bounds on the ensuing inbounds play.

After a Palestine timeout, the Wildcats (4-4) worked the ball to Birdow, who drove to the baseline and was fouled while going up for a jumper.

This time, Birdow came through with six seconds left by making both free throws and giving the Wildcats an 80-78 lead.

"That is why Kevin is in there, because is he such a clutch player," Driskell said. "He was upset at missing those first two free throws, but he came through at the end.

“Everyone stepped up in the fourth quarter and it was a great team effort.”

Crockett had one last chance for the win but an off balance three-point attempt by T.C. Henry was long and before the Bulldogs could get the rebound, the horn sounded and the Palestine bench rushed the court to celebrate the victory with the other five players.

“This wins shows what kind of character this team has,” Driskell said.

The Wildcats showed a lot of character in the second half after Palestine struggled with the press in the first half and trailed by 16 points at halftime.

Palestine started chipping away at the lead in the third quarter and got within single digits when Larry Jackson had a layup off an Andre Skinner pass and then Jackson hit a three pointer from the corner as Crockett led 52-45.

Palestine cut the lead with two minutes left in the third quarter when Patrick Turner had a layup and off the press, Birdow got the steal and fed the ball to Turner for another score.

Jackson, who had a game-high 24 points to go along with 12 rebounds, had a layup with 1:05 left and Palestine trailed 60-57.

However, Crockett would go on a 6-2 run in the final minute of the third quarter and re-establish a seven-point lead heading into the fourth quarter.

Crockett would increase its lead back to 10 points in the first minute of the fourth quarter, but the Wildcats again started to chip away at the Bulldog margin.

Palestine got the deficit to four points when Jackson made two free throws and off the press, Jeremy Bailey got a steal and passed the ball to Greg Anderson for a layup.

“I think the difference in the fourth quarter was we started to handle their press and they were struggling against our press,” Driskell said.

A steal and a layup by Kevin Swanson got Palestine within two points, 70-68, and after the teams traded baskets, Palestine tied the game at 73-73 with 2:24 left when Skinner, in the paint, found Birdow for a layup. Skinner had four assists and six blocks on the night.

Crockett would take a 76-73 lead with 1:51 left when Lee Martinez completed a three-point play with a basket and the free throw.

After a Birdow 15-foot pull up jumper, Martinez answered with two more free throws and Crockett led 78-75 with 1:32 to play, but it would be the last time Crockett would score.

Anderson, who had 12 points, tied the game for Palestine with 1:18 left in the game on a three-pointer from the corner.

Crockett looked to stall for the final minute, but turned the ball over on the Birdow steal with less than 30 seconds left, setting up the free throws and the win for Palestine.

In the final minute and a half of the game, Crockett turned the ball over twice and had only one shot attempt — the desperation three-pointer at the end of the game.

The Bulldogs, who scored 25 points in the first and second quarter each, scored a total of 28 points in the second half.

In the first half, it was Crockett’s pressure defense that gave the Bulldogs the lead.

Palestine led 14-10 when Crockett started to use the full-court press, forcing multiple turnovers leading to easy baskets for the Bulldogs.

“When people pressure us, we struggle and we have to work on that,” Driskell said. “When we run it right, like in the fourth quarter, we have success. Hopefully we learned a lesson from it tonight.”

Crockett went on a 14-0 run in the first quarter and early minutes of the second quarter to take a 30-18 lead. Palestine Chrys Davis stopped the scoreless streak with a pair of free throws in the second quarter.

Palestine got within eight points with over three minutes left in the half on a three pointer by Turner, who had 11 points. However, Crockett would end the half on a 10-2 run to take a 50-34 halftime lead.

mwynn05
12-13-2006, 10:54 AM
Im shocked Palestine won this one. Crockett really impressed me. Sounds like Palestine got down big but didn't quit thats a good win for those guys

Old Tiger
12-13-2006, 10:56 AM
FF owns all!

texasjeremy
12-13-2006, 10:58 AM
Rest of Palestine's non-district schedule

Dec. 15 - Athens
Dec. 21 - @ Rusk (if they don't cancel Rusk's season before then)
Dec. 28-30 - Lovelady Tournament
Jan. 2 - Lufkin
Jan. 5 - @ Kemp (rematch of the OT thriller in the semi's of the Fairfield Tournament)
Jan. 9 - Chapel Hill

coach
12-13-2006, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by texasjeremy
Rest of Palestine's non-district schedule

Dec. 15 - Athens
Dec. 21 - @ Rusk (if they don't cancel Rusk's season before then)
Dec. 28-30 - Lovelady Tournament
Jan. 2 - Lufkin
Jan. 5 - @ Kemp (rematch of the OT thriller in the semi's of the Fairfield Tournament)
Jan. 9 - Chapel Hill

y would they cancel rusk's season???? just curious what happened

coach
12-13-2006, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by mwynn05
Im shocked Palestine won this one. Crockett really impressed me. Sounds like Palestine got down big but didn't quit thats a good win for those guys

u goin to the game friday??? llokin for number 13

texasjeremy
12-13-2006, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by coach
y would they cancel rusk's season???? just curious what happened

Aparently they have had a couple of incidents this season involving the Rusk players being out of control.

1. After a loss to Frankston, a few members of the Rusk team knocked windows out of Frankston vehicles, which caused them to be kicked out of the Frankston tournament, forfeiting their next game with Westwood.

2. Started a brawl with Bullard players in the hallway at halftime of their game.

texasjeremy
12-13-2006, 11:53 AM
Did Fairfield play last night?

mwynn05
12-13-2006, 12:06 PM
u goin to the game friday??? llokin for number 13 I dono i might i dono if i wanna drive that far though.

mwynn05
12-13-2006, 12:08 PM
Did Fairfield play last night? yeah they played Hearne and ive seen 2 scores one was 87-50 and the other was 82-51 both in Fairfield's favor

texasjeremy
12-13-2006, 12:33 PM
How do none of these Fairfield kids show up on any recruiting lists, especially that Mellontree kid?

mwynn05
12-13-2006, 12:40 PM
How do none of these Fairfield kids show up on any recruiting lists, especially that Mellontree kid? lol The Nolan you see against Palestine isnt the Nolan that shows up every game he just wants to play good against Palestine because his cousin is on the team and he knows all of the Palestine guys. It's hard to get him to go inside he wants to do that lil turn around move all the time instead of playing strong inside...I used to hear it everyday and im sure Worley still tells him. Im not sayin he doesnt try normally hes just a lot more motivated against Palestine and probably will be against Westwood too....That and he isn't big enough unless they want him to play the 2 or the 3...not to play D1 any way it would probably be smaller schools if he plsyed but he could hes good enough. Another reason is there is no superstar which is good and bad its good that everyone can contribute which is good but i kind of think we sort of need one of the to be more of a go to guy...and that could definetley be nolan if he would play more inside out then outside in

texasjeremy
12-13-2006, 12:48 PM
lol The Nolan you see against Palestine isnt the Nolan that shows up every game he just wants to play good against Palestine because his cousin is on the team and he knows all of the Palestine guys. It's hard to get him to go inside he wants to do that lil turn around move all the time instead of playing strong inside...I used to hear it everyday and im sure Worley still tells him. Im not sayin he doesnt try normally hes just a lot more motivated against Palestine and probably will be against Westwood too.

Yeah, I noticed he basically didn't come to play the whole tournament, except against Palestine (lucky us). But you would think he had the skill to at least be recruited by someone. How about that #3, I was very impressed with his play.

mwynn05
12-13-2006, 12:55 PM
Yeah, I noticed he basically didn't come to play the whole tournament, except against Palestine (lucky us). But you would think he had the skill to at least be recruited by someone. How about that #3, I was very impressed with his play. Good player hes not even really making his shots right now either probably the 2nd best defender on the team over all maybe the best on the ball defender but not as good off the ball (compared to Alfraid Manning (#20) who I would say is the best defender all the way around and most complete play over all) Hes a good point guard but sometimes makes bad decisions. That and I think he fouls more than anyone ever. I hated going against him in practice talk about having scratches on your arms. Coach Worley has been working on him with not playing so hard early in the game and picking up cheap fouls (not telling him not to play hard early but to play SMART and understand he cant pick up 2 fouls early and be on the bench most of the first half) oh and i edited the post above this one

coach
12-13-2006, 01:18 PM
Yeah, I noticed he basically didn't come to play the whole tournament, except against Palestine (lucky us). But you would think he had the skill to at least be recruited by someone. How about that #3, I was very impressed with his play.

also the kids there arent the true college proto-type basketball players...they play well to gether and they dont have all the attributes but i think a few of them could play at dII also the reason nolan played hard against palestine is bc he is related to hals the team....but dont be surprised if you don hear from these kids after high school...they play well together and sometimes they rather score than win and the scouts will see that and not recrui tthem plus if you had parents like them it would be hard to play for the team and at the same time lpay to get looked at just ask mwynn and e_v they know what im talkin about....see you in district texas jeremy and hope to hear from you

mwynn05
12-13-2006, 01:24 PM
also the kids there arent the true college proto-type basketball players...they play well to gether and they dont have all the attributes but i think a few of them could play at dII also the reason nolan played hard against palestine is bc he is related to hals the team....but dont be surprised if you don hear from these kids after high school...they play well together and sometimes they rather score than win and the scouts will see that and not recrui tthem plus if you had parents like them it would be hard to play for the team and at the same time lpay to get looked at just ask mwynn and e_v they know what im talkin about....see you in district texas jeremy and hope to hear from you Yeah, don't even get me started on some of those parents....lets just say one certains hids parents would want him shooting everytime he got it if they found out he was being recruited (and trust me the pareants have an effect on these kids when they hear certain things all the time it was apparent last year at times) and i bet coach and EV know who im talking about

coach
12-13-2006, 01:25 PM
Yeah, don't even get me started on some of those parents....

im surprised j bo isnt in manor bc his dad had a string around his you know what and it was tied to penson's hand lol

mwynn05
12-13-2006, 01:31 PM
im surprised j bo isnt in manor bc his dad had a string around his you know what and it was tied to penson's hand lol lol pinson was a horrible coach...

texasjeremy
12-13-2006, 02:13 PM
Good player hes not even really making his shots right now either probably the 2nd best defender on the team over all maybe the best on the ball defender but not as good off the ball (compared to Alfraid Manning (#20) who I would say is the best defender all the way around and most complete play over all) Hes a good point guard but sometimes makes bad decisions. That and I think he fouls more than anyone ever. I hated going against him in practice talk about having scratches on your arms. Coach Worley has been working on him with not playing so hard early in the game and picking up cheap fouls (not telling him not to play hard early but to play SMART and understand he cant pick up 2 fouls early and be on the bench most of the first half) oh and i edited the post above this one

Maybe that had to do some with the defense Fairfield played in the tournament. It seemed that the refs let just about everything go the entire tournament (not just Fairfield games, but most all of them, especially La Vega). When did all the hand checking and grabbing the ball handers arms while guarding him become legal?

texasjeremy
12-13-2006, 02:56 PM
also the kids there arent the true college proto-type basketball players...they play well to gether and they dont have all the attributes but i think a few of them could play at dII also the reason nolan played hard against palestine is bc he is related to hals the team....but dont be surprised if you don hear from these kids after high school...they play well together and sometimes they rather score than win and the scouts will see that and not recrui tthem plus if you had parents like them it would be hard to play for the team and at the same time lpay to get looked at just ask mwynn and e_v they know what im talkin about....see you in district texas jeremy and hope to hear from you

Good point. I have seen this before. When I was in HS, Palestine was dominating 4A in East Texas, they played very similar to the way Fairfield is playing now (always attacking on offense, and a good swarming, pressing defense). They were essentially this years Fairfield team, with height (only 1 starter under 6-2). They got 2 rounds into the 2000 playoffs before running into a Chris Bosh led Dallas Lincoln team (Palestine led most of the game). I think in that 3-4 year run, only 1 player played college ball (DII). It comes down to having a good coach, which Palestine did then and Fairfield does now.

mwynn05
12-13-2006, 03:48 PM
Maybe that had to do some with the defense Fairfield played in the tournament. It seemed that the refs let just about everything go the entire tournament (not just Fairfield games, but most all of them, especially La Vega). When did all the hand checking and grabbing the ball handers arms while guarding him become legal? That's the Waco Chapter for you they ref our district so were used to it and Worley knows a lot of the refs and know how there going to call the game....It was called that way the whole tournament except for the Corckett Fairfield gaem in that game they whistle was blown every 30 seconds from the 2nd quarter on.

texasjeremy
12-13-2006, 04:06 PM
That's the Waco Chapter for you they ref our district so were used to it and Worley knows a lot of the refs and know how there going to call the game....It was called that way the whole tournament except for the Corckett Fairfield gaem in that game they whistle was blown every 30 seconds from the 2nd quarter on.

I guess Palestine will have to get used to that. In that final, they had the look like "we are getting screwed" and seemed to pack it in until the 4th quarter. They traditionally call the games closer in East Texas. When I was in HS, Palestine moved into a Dallas area district my junior and senior year (with Wilmer-Hutchins, Lancaster, Terrell, etc.), up there they tended to let most stuff go, it took some getting used to. But on the other hand, they had to get used to it down in Palestine, using Tyler chapter officials.

I was wondering about that Fairfield/Crockett game. I was watching the Palestine/Kemp game next door. They were at halftime at the same time, but when I came back after the Palestine game (which went into OT) the Fairfield game was still going on.

eagles_victory
12-13-2006, 04:12 PM
I guess Palestine will have to get used to that. In that final, they had the look like "we are getting screwed" and seemed to pack it in until the 4th quarter. They traditionally call the games closer in East Texas. When I was in HS, Palestine moved into a Dallas area district my junior and senior year (with Wilmer-Hutchins, Lancaster, Terrell, etc.), up there they tended to let most stuff go, it took some getting used to. But on the other hand, they had to get used to it down in Palestine, using Tyler chapter officials.

I was wondering about that Fairfield/Crockett game. I was watching the Palestine/Kemp game next door. They were at halftime at the same time, but when I came back after the Palestine game (which went into OT) the Fairfield game was still going on. Yea i can see what you mean about the refs they do let quite a bit go im not a huge fan of the Waco chapter.

But once palestine gets use to it... it wont be a factor i dont think because there big enough to get physical with anyone in the district and in the end could use these officials to their advantage

As for the Crockett Fairfield second half it was the longest half of basketball ive ever seen. There were so many ticky tac calls i was sitting in the stands bewildered at some of the things they called. After we got the game in hand i was thinking wow is this game ever going to end and at 12:10 it finally did 10:30 to 12:10 a pretty long high school basketball game

texasjeremy
12-15-2006, 06:13 PM
'Cats clicking after slow start

The Palestine Herald

By SCOTT TYLER

H-P Sports Editor

After starting the season with three straight losses, the Palestine Wildcats have shaken off the rust and have responded with four wins in the last five games.

“We had some rust in the first part of the season but we have been able to build some momentum the last week,” Palestine head coach Jamie Driskell said.

Just over a week ago, Palestine was 0-3 and heading into a tough Fairfield tournament. The Wildcats’ first win of the season came in the tournament opener against LaVega. Palestine followed with wins over Waco High and Kemp to reach the championship game, where the Wildcats lost to district foe Fairfield.

Two days after the loss to Fairfield, Palestine rallied from a 16-point halftime deficit to defeat Crockett 80-78 Monday night at Crockett High School.

“That was a big win for this team,” Driskell said. “Palestine and Crockett have always played good games and these kids know one another.”

In only the start of the third week of the season, Driskell may have learned a lot about his team in the win over Crockett.

“It showed me about the kind of heart and determination these kids have,” Driskell said. “And they know we can come back from anything.”

In the win over Crockett, Palestine showed its two strengths — the inside game and depth on the bench.

“We want to go inside to our big boys because that is where we are the strongest,” Driskell said.

More than half of Palestine’s points Monday night were scored by the three inside players — Larry Jackson (24), Kevin Birdow (14) and Andre Skinner (7).

Palestine also showed its depth against Crockett as nine of the 13 Wildcats scored and Palestine had four players score in double digits.

“We have a lot of depth and we are still searching for positions for some of our players,” Driskell said. “We are 13 deep and have a lot of talent, so there is not enough playing time for all of them.”

After Monday’s win, Palestine will have three straight days of practice, something Driskell has not had at all the season.

In two weeks, Palestine has practiced six times and the only other time the Wildcats had two straight days of practice was the first days of the season after Palestine finished football.

“Having the practice time is going to help because we have had to do most of our learning on the fly during games,” Driskell said.

After the three days of practice, Palestine will host Athens Friday night and Driskell wants to see a more consistent game from his Wildcats.

“We have not put together four quarters yet,” Driskell said. “I want us to play a complete game and play solid defense.”

Friday’s game also will mark the final game for the Wildcats before the holiday break.

“After starting 0-3, we have a chance to go into the break with a winning record,” Driskell said. “It will be important to go into the holidays with momentum.”

Driskell said the holiday break is needed for his squad and coaching staff since the team did not get a break after the football season ended.

“The kids need the break mentally, emotionally and physically,” Driskell said. “We need some time to spend with our families.”

eagles_victory
12-15-2006, 07:13 PM
Larry Jackson and Greg Anderson could be a lethal 1-2 punch for Palestine. Kevin is a pretty good player also... Andre Skinner needs to do a little more playing in a little less talking though.

mwynn05
12-15-2006, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Larry Jackson and Greg Anderson could be a lethal 1-2 punch for Palestine. Kevin is a pretty good player also... Andre Skinner needs to do a little more playing in a little less talking though. good win for Palestine looks like they could definatly be a playoff team. Crockett is gonna beat a lot of good teams this year maybe those 2 will met up again in the playoffs