PDA

View Full Version : McGee and Shipley article in the AAS

BIG19
12-12-2003, 09:10 AM
McGee and Shipley -- the best ever?
Burnet quarterback, receiver prepare to play their final game after record-breaking careers
By Rick Cantu

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Friday, December 12, 2003

BURNET -- An uncommon bond was created when freshmen Stephen McGee and Jordan Shipley became teammates three years ago.

McGee had already established himself as a gifted quarterback with a promising future. Shipley, the new kid in town, was a precocious wide receiver hoping to make an impression with the varsity football team.

Three years later, after leading Burnet High School to the Class 3A state championship game for the second straight season, McGee and Shipley have become arguably the greatest pass-catch tandem in the rich history of Texas high school football.

On the eve of the title game against Gainesville, their legacy with Bulldogs football is secure. Yet they believe their record-busting careers will not receive proper validation unless they win Saturday night at Texas Stadium. Both teams are 14-0.

"I'm thinking of this game as a way to win state, not that it's my last game in high school," said McGee, a 6-foot-3-inch senior who will graduate next week and enroll at Texas A&M in January. "Win or lose, this has been pretty awesome."

McGee and Shipley have combined for 218 pass receptions, a state record, high school football historian Joe Lee Smith said Thursday.

In their careers, McGee has thrown for 8,076 yards and Shipley has caught 5,300 yards worth of passes. Combined, that's 13,376 yards -- the most ever for a quarterback-receiver combination in Texas. Decatur's Phillip Daugherty and Joseph Krebs combined to put up 13,288 career yards from 2000-02, and former Stephenville stars Kelan Luker and Cody Cardwell -- who is No. 2 on the state's career list for receiving yards and No. 4 for career receptions -- had 12,538 combined yards.

In the past two seasons, Burnet's record is 28-1. That's the second-best mark in Texas, behind only Southlake Carroll's 30-0 record in Class 5A (the Dragons play a Division II state semifinal at Texas Stadium in the game before Burnet's title game). Galena Park North Shore is 25-1 over the past two seasons, Denton Ryan is 28-2 and Highland Park is 25-2. Burnet's lone loss in that span came against Everman in last year's state championship game in San Antonio.

McGee has had a phenomenal senior season, throwing 46 touchdown passes against only three interceptions. In his career, he boasts 100 touchdown passes and 16 interceptions.

Shipley, a 6-foot senior bound for the University of Texas, set career state records this season for receptions (259), yards (5,300) and touchdown catches (72), regardless of classification.

Did someone say awesome?

"It's their timing between quarterback and wide receiver, their belief in each other and their will to win," said Reagan Coach Todd Patmon, whose Class 4A Raiders were beaten by Burnet 47-0 earlier this season and 33-6 last year.

"Plus," Patmon said, "they are very gifted athletes that happen to be very good football players."

McGee and Shipley were fortunate to find each other. Burnet's football team was fortunate that the pair moved to the Hill Country town of 4,735. They each starred for their respective middle school teams in other cities -- McGee in San Antonio, Shipley in Rotan.

McGee moved from San Antonio to Burnet before his freshman season to join his father, Rodney, the school's longtime varsity basketball coach.

Shipley moved from Class A Rotan to Burnet when his father, Bob, was named Burnet's varsity football coach in 2001. At the time, Bob Shipley was noted for his "wide-open" offense and was thrilled to return home. He graduated from Burnet in 1978, and even then he aspired to someday coach his old team.

"It was a pretty good year to transfer to a new school," Bob Shipley said of the move from Rotan. He quickly learned about his budding quarterback-receiver connection.

Jordan Shipley, who figured to play quarterback when he moved to Burnet after spending the fall semester in Rotan, learned quickly that McGee was a special player. Shipley accepted his move to receiver.

"It was obvious by seeing (McGee) throw that he's fundamentally sound. I could tell right away how awesome he was," Jordan Shipley said. "Not everyone gets to come to a new school and play with a quarterback like that."

Shipley showed his versatility last season when he became the only player in Texas to be named All-State on both offense and defense. For good measure, he returns kickoffs and punts and also is the team's chief kicker.

"It's pretty weird how all this came together," McGee said.

McGee and Shipley provided late-game heroics last week to keep Burnet's quest for its first state football championship alive.

Trailing Jasper 14-7 in the fourth quarter -- the first game the Bulldogs have trailed all season -- Burnet rallied for two touchdowns, including a McGee-to-Shipley pass with 17 seconds remaining, to advance to Saturday's title game.

"We've got a sixth football sense that comes from hours of summer and spring practice," McGee said. "We lean on each other a lot."

Their final act is Saturday night.

Old Dog
12-12-2003, 09:28 AM
What's a little more pressure.....guess they better get used to it with where they are headed for college!!!!

bd0707
12-12-2003, 09:50 AM
It has been a privledge to watch these two young men mature as role models and as athletes. Proof is in the pudding they say, well our 12yr. old looks up to these guys on and off the field and I could not be any prouder. God has blessed Stephan and Jordan with enormous talent and ability, remarkably not an ounce these attributes have been wasted on the practice field, in the game, or in the classroom. No matter what path they take in life, they will make a positive impact on or off the field.

HotDawg89
12-12-2003, 10:45 AM
Yeah- they are both awesome! Great article, but:

I don't mean to take anything away from them here- but I wish that the media would focus a little more on the TEAM that got them as far as they are, not the two players that got the team here. Does that make sense? I watched channel 36's interview with them last night... it was so great. But I still had that feeling that the rest of the team gets lost in there somewhere. What about Warner and Levens, or Rollman? Saldivar? There are tons of other guys who do their part, and do it with tremendous heart and accuracy that aren't getting noticed. Anyone else feel this way?

Again, don't get me wrong- I'm at all the games, I know what all the hype is about when it comes to #7 and #8. They deserve to be recognized, but the whole team made it this far. . .I just wish the media would recognize the entire team a little more often.

bulldogvet85
12-12-2003, 11:33 AM
HotDawg89:
Yeah- they are both awesome! Great article, but:

I don't mean to take anything away from them here- but I wish that the media would focus a little more on the TEAM that got them as far as they are, not the two players that got the team here. Does that make sense? I watched channel 36's interview with them last night... it was so great. But I still had that feeling that the rest of the team gets lost in there somewhere. What about Warner and Levens, or Rollman? Saldivar? There are tons of other guys who do their part, and do it with tremendous heart and accuracy that aren't getting noticed. Anyone else feel this way?

Again, don't get me wrong- I'm at all the games, I know what all the hype is about when it comes to #7 and #8. They deserve to be recognized, but the whole team made it this far. . .I just wish the media would recognize the entire team a little more often.I agree it's a team effort. but you know what nobody else sees it that way and thats just something you have to deal with. Being a lineman you just go with the understanding you arent gonna get more reconition. it's not just that way with your team its that way with all teams they look at the skilled positions before the lineman. It's like that in college and the NFL trust me we all know its a team effort. But the media wants the people that scores the points and does all the cool stuff.

GreatBigBurnetFan
12-12-2003, 11:35 AM
I've said MANY times, it's not the Shipley and McGee show. It is and always has been a total team effort. McGee and Shipley BOTH know it and recognize it. They just get focused on. Levans is a great leader but wants no recognition. I wish for this last game he would walk out with the rest of the captains, he's earned it. Our LBs, Kuhn, Rountree and Mock are always overlooked, but
I don't see how. Big Ed is truely awesome as are the rest of the guys. They have sure brought me a lot of pleasure and fun. I salute ALL the Bulldogs!
Regards,
GreatBigBurnetFan

bulldogvet85
12-12-2003, 11:45 AM
GreatBigBurnetFan:
I've said MANY times, it's not the Shipley and McGee show. It is and always has been a total team effort. McGee and Shipley BOTH know it and recognize it. They just get focused on. Levans is a great leader but wants no recognition. I wish for this last game he would walk out with the rest of the captains, he's earned it. Our LBs, Kuhn, Rountree and Mock are always overlooked, but
I don't see how. Big Ed is truely awesome as are the rest of the guys. They have sure brought me a lot of pleasure and fun. I salute ALL the Bulldogs!
Regards,
GreatBigBurnetFanyour right but what can you do about it? I mean yeah I dont know how the LB's get over looked they are awesome and man kuhn is something else. Levans what can you say that kid can run and he put up one hell of an effort last week. but I mean we all know who the studs are, we know what makes this burnet team good. Yeah jordan and McGee are a piece of the puzle and maybe a big piece but WE know that the both of the have a HUGE supporting cast of guys he give there all just as much as the both of them do every play. But outside of burnet really the only players people hear about is McGee and Shipley. So what can you do about it unless you are in the media.

HotDawg89
12-12-2003, 11:52 AM
So what can you do about it unless you are in the media???

Nothing. I just worry about the other guyson the team. I know that they know there is more than 2 people on that team. I just wish they could all get some real recognition. But there isn't a thing any of us can do about it at all. It is just frustrating. But like I said before, I don't want to take anything away from the big guns that we have- they have certainly earned their recognition too.

<small>[ December 12, 2003, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: HotDawg89 ]</small>

DawgMaw02
12-12-2003, 01:14 PM
Believe me when I say I totally understand where your coming from. My son was a Senior offensive lineman the first year Coach Shipley and Jordan and Stephen all came together. It was the beginning of something great. They all know that if it wasn't for those big guys up front, the exceptional plays they make would not be possible. Getting the rest of the world to see it is another story. Our hometown sports writer does an excellent job of giving credit where it is due with his MVP stats and players of the week. He always mentions the linemen. My hat is certainly off to every player on the team, they all practice and play with everything they have. GOOD LUCK TO OUR DOGS!

bulldogvet85
12-12-2003, 01:29 PM
hotdawg the only thing I can say is as long as a team, community, and parents yall support and reconize everyone on the team for doing there part then thats good enough. cuz really thats all that matters to most of them anyway that there family and there town reconize what they have accomplished. I think the town of burnet does a good job of supporting all the team members and thats what counts. Keep doing that and everything will be ok.

dawgdad
12-12-2003, 03:20 PM
My kid is a lineman and as far as comeraderie is concerned I think they are the tightest knit group of players on the team. Most linemen know that they don't get all the glory and they have to pat each other on the back. There is a kind of satisfaction in knowing you knocked someone on their butt and enabled your teammate to score or make a big play. HERE'S TO THE GUYS IN THE TRENCHES !! GO BULLDOGS,BEAT GAINESVILLE !!!

Keith7
12-12-2003, 03:23 PM
BIG19:
Decatur's Phillip Daugherty and Joseph Krebs combined to put up 13,288 career yards from 2000-02.They made an error.. they meant to say bridgeport