PDA

View Full Version : all-district

dogdad
12-12-2006, 07:39 PM
I looked at our all-district selections (10-3A) and counted the number of slots for the superlatives, 1st team, and 2nd team and I was agast that there are 72 players listed. (with only 6 teams in the district) Then I took a look at 14-3A and counted 88 players included in superlatives, 1st team, and 2nd team. I believe we have now officially reached the point where making all-district is no longer special. Almost everyone makes all-district.....do the math.

GWOOD
12-12-2006, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by dogdad
I looked at our all-district selections (10-3A) and counted the number of slots for the superlatives, 1st team, and 2nd team and I was agast that there are 72 players listed. (with only 6 teams in the district) Then I took a look at 14-3A and counted 88 players included in superlatives, 1st team, and 2nd team. I believe we have now officially reached the point where making all-district is no longer special. Almost everyone makes all-district.....do the math.

True, with 2nd team and honorable mention selections. But the superlatives and 1st team selections still recognize the best of the bunch.

g$$
12-12-2006, 07:48 PM
Agreed. They have watered down making all district by all the other awards like MVP, Offense, Defense, Newcomer, etc., thus putting more on the teams who would not have been recognized.

It has become almost a medal for playing.

mrescape43
12-12-2006, 07:59 PM
You can compare this to sending 3 or 4 teams from each district to the playoffs. Back when I was in school the #1 team from each district went to the playoffs and the rest went to the hardcourt.