PDA

View Full Version : Astros acquire Jason Jennings (RHP) from Rockies...

g$$
12-12-2006, 05:10 PM
Announcement to come at 4:30 PM

What I spoke about previously, Astros get Jason Jennings & another pitcher from Rockies for Willy Taveras, Jason Hirsh, & Taylor Buchholz.

Jennings played at Baylor too. I like this move, good sinkerball pitcher who should do well at MMP. Gave up a lot though w/ Hirsh & Taveras, etc.

Chris Burke = new CF...he is a much better 2B. Burke gets his shot to play everyday now.

I worry about OF defense for sure: Lee (LF), Burke (CF), Scott (RF). Please don't tell me anything good about Jason Lane either.

carter08
12-12-2006, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Announcement to come at 4:30 PM

What I spoke about previously, Astros get Jason Jennings & another pitcher from Rockies for Willy Taveras, Jason Hirsh, & Taylor Buchholz.

Jennings played at Baylor too. I like this move, good sinkerball pitcher who should do well at MMP. Gave up a lot though w/ Hirsh & Taveras, etc.

Chris Burke = new CF...he is a much better 2B. Burke gets his shot to play everyday now.

WTH
Jennings is a good player
But i would not give up Willy T AND Hirsh for him

District303aPastPlayer
12-12-2006, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by carter08
WTH
Jennings is a good player
But i would not give up Willy T AND Hirsh for him

as an objective fan, not a fan of the Stros... i would agree here... Willy Taveras and Jason Hirsh for One pitcher is giving up alot...

g$$
12-12-2006, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
as an objective fan, not a fan of the Stros... i would agree here... Willy Taveras and Jason Hirsh for One pitcher is giving up alot...

Not when you are desperate for starting pitching.

Oswalt
Jennings
Williams
Clemens (??)
Sampson
Albers
Gutierrez
Nieve
Patton
etc.

**Backe had elbow surgery & is out for year

See what I mean? There may be more deals to come. Gosh we needed Pettitte to stay. Bullpen of Lidge, Wheeler, Qualls, Miller, etc. Lidge or Wheeler as closer (Lidge if he can be fixed??).

Projected line-up:
Burke CF
Biggio 2B
Berkman 1B
Lee LF
Scott RF
Ensberg / Lamb 3B
Everett SS
Ausmus C
Pitcher

...or something very close to that.

District303aPastPlayer
12-12-2006, 05:26 PM
I don't think that Lidge will be able to recover psychologically...

sahen
12-12-2006, 05:28 PM
we had to have another starting pitcher...u have to assume clemens will not be back and if he is then its just a bonus....we had to give up something to get something and Jennings is good...of course i may be bias casue he is a bear, but i am happy with the move

GWOOD
12-12-2006, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by g$$
A Please don't tell me anything good about Jason Lane either.

LOL. Won't do that.

Now, please don't be getting on my man Engsberg. He's gonna' prove you wrong in '07.

g$$
12-12-2006, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by GWOOD
LOL. Won't do that.

Now, please don't be getting on my man Engsberg. He's gonna' prove you wrong in '07.

I like Ensberg, if he can regroup & get healthy. I think Ensberg & Lidge are both head cases most of the time though. Both are talented no doubt.

Ensberg has been good in odd years lately, so 2007 here we come!

carter08
12-12-2006, 05:37 PM
I wish there were Designated Fielders in the majors. Lane could play there and never have to bat

g$$
12-12-2006, 05:37 PM
Name to watch in 2007 & beyond: Hunter Pence, OF, with sick power & good speed. From Metroplex & played at UTA.

He may make it to the Show at some point next year. Josh Anderson (CF) is another speedy guy to watch too.

carter08
12-12-2006, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Name to watch in 2007 & beyond: Hunter Pence, OF, with sick power & good speed. From Metroplex & played at UTA.

He may make it to the Show at some point next year. Josh Anderson (CF) is another speedy guy to watch too.

Pence is going to be a really good player very soon

sahen
12-12-2006, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by g$$

the astros said in their press conference that Pence will get a chance next year at the majors....

this deal also included an arm for the bullpen for the astros (Ascencio)

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061212&content_id=1760069&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

District303aPastPlayer
12-12-2006, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by carter08
Pence is going to be a really good player very soon

if he can kick the bottle, he will be great...

and yeah... Those two are hoss'... i've had a chance to watch them numerous times and they are that good... Pence is a good MLB prospect... should be in the show at the end of the year... and should put up great numbers for years to come

g$$
12-12-2006, 06:00 PM
if he can kick the bottle, he will be great...

and yeah... Those two are hoss'... i've had a chance to watch them numerous times and they are that good... Pence is a good MLB prospect... should be in the show at the end of the year... and should put up great numbers for years to come

Pence made one mistake recently, & was kicked out of Arizona Fall League. I have never heard that he has a problem. Let's cut the guy some slack here. We all have made mistakes.

crzyjournalist03
12-12-2006, 06:12 PM
I'm worried that Houston overpaid here. Bucholtz wasn't bad, and giving up an outfielder when the team is already weak there as well as minor league potential for a quality number two starter looks too much for me!

g$$
12-12-2006, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I'm worried that Houston overpaid here. Bucholtz wasn't bad, and giving up an outfielder when the team is already weak there as well as minor league potential for a quality number two starter looks too much for me!

Any good trade is going to hurt both sides. Houston has an abundance of OFs, what I worry about is OF defense.

Lee
Burke
Scott
Lane
Pence
Jimerson
Anderson
Berkman (but primarily 1B)

I hated giving up Jason Hirsh. Taveras is a tremendous defensive CF, but I question his stick. Buchholz, so-so on him. Taveras had one of the worst OB% in MLB as a lead-off hitter. See what happens.

BTEXDAD
12-13-2006, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by g$$

Best option? Jason Jennings of Colorado & formerly of Baylor IMO. He is under contract so it will have to be a trade (maybe Burke). I think he would do well with his sinkerball style in MMP.

This from another thread, g$$. Sometimes you get off on a tangent, and overdo your explanations, but you're right on the majority of time. Stros didn't trade Burke, but IMO, burke is and will continue to be a better offensive player than Willie T which will offset any defensive weakness in center.
Biggio will retire after getting his 3000 hits and burke will take over at second in 2008. Another CF will then take over, either one of the young players, or someone gotten with money freed up from Biggio's retirement.

Maroon87
12-13-2006, 11:44 AM
I don't think that Lidge will be able to recover psychologically...

IMO Lidge's problems are mechanical, not psychological. He can still get guys out, but his effectiveness differed from appearance to appearance.. He never got to the level of Mark Wohlers, where he couldn't find the plate with a roadmap..at least not yet.

I think we gave up a bit too much for Jennings, who is slated for free agency after this coming season.

g$$
12-13-2006, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
This from another thread, g$$. Sometimes you get off on a tangent, and overdo your explanations, but you're right on the majority of time. Stros didn't trade Burke, but IMO, burke is and will continue to be a better offensive player than Willie T which will offset any defensive weakness in center.
Biggio will retire after getting his 3000 hits and burke will take over at second in 2008. Another CF will then take over, either one of the young players, or someone gotten with money freed up from Biggio's retirement.

Thanks, & I am also glad Burke is still with us. I have always liked him & he will take over at 2B next year full-time. That opens the door for Pence, Anderson, etc. Definite offensive upgrade over Taveras (but I do worry about our OF defense). I hated losing Hirsh too. But overall, gotta do it.

We'll see what the new pitching coach Wallace can do with Lidge. Stuff is still nasty, to me it is both mechanical & psychological. He flies open & ball stays up when he gets in trouble. This is a big year for Lidge no doubt.

SWMustang
12-13-2006, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Thanks, & I am also glad Burke is still with us. I have always liked him & he will take over at 2B next year full-time. That opens the door for Pence, Anderson, etc. Definite offensive upgrade over Taveras (but I do worry about our OF defense). I hated losing Hirsh too. But overall, gotta do it.

We'll see what the new pitching coach Wallace can do with Lidge. Stuff is still nasty, to me it is both mechanical & psychological. He flies open & ball stays up when he gets in trouble. This is a big year for Lidge no doubt.

I think he's tipping the split finger. Hitters laid off of it like it was kryptonite. The year before they couldn't resist.

GWOOD
12-13-2006, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
g$$. Sometimes you get off on a tangent, and overdo your explanations, but you're right on the majority of time. St

g$$ does provide good info on the Astros posts.

He's a little down on Ensberg and a month or two ago I was trying to convince him to not give up on him. ;) But I always learn some things from his Astro posts.

g$$
12-13-2006, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
I think he's tipping the split finger. Hitters laid off of it like it was kryptonite. The year before they couldn't resist.

Last year was the 1st year he had thrown the split or the 2 seamer. Before, he was 4 seamer & slider only (as a reliever). I do agree he tips pitches, as other pros from other teams have said the same (Joe McEwing did last year). Hopefully Wallace can get him fixed because his stuff is plenty good. Hitters adjust, now Lidge must do the same.

g$$
12-13-2006, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by GWOOD
g$$ does provide good info on the Astros posts.

He's a little down on Ensberg and a month or two ago I was trying to convince him to not give up on him. ;) But I always learn some things from his Astro posts.

Thanks guys, & sorry if I go off on tangents sometimes! Baseball is my thing & I need to be using that knowledge by working in it again. I love all sports, but baseball is my baby I guess. Go Astros!

BTW, I am giving Ensberg one more year. I met him last year at a banquet where my nephew was honored & he is a super human being. Now, he must get healthy & quit thinking so much. We need him to return to form in the worst way.