PDA

View Full Version : Bagwell to officially retire this week

Maroon87
12-12-2006, 11:17 AM
Bagwell's agent, Astros GM work on post-career deal
ESPN.com news services

Jeff Bagwell's career in baseball is expected to officially come to an end this week.

The Houston Chronicle reported Tuesday that Bagwell will announce his retirement once a post-career personal services contract is finalized between the slugging first baseman and the Houston Astros.

The newspaper reported that the contract should be finalized by Friday. Bagwell's agent, Barry Axelrod, and Astros general manager Tim Purpura both told The Chronicle on Monday that the deal is being finalized.

"I'm hoping it will be this week, but I'm not certain of it yet," Purpura told The Chronicle.

The newspaper reported that Bagwell's deal is expected to be similar to ones signed by Nolan Ryan and Roger Clemens with the team. Ryan signed a five-year personal services contract with the Astros in 2004 and works with the team's young pitchers. Clemens has a 10-year contract in place once he retires.

"We're not going to specify what he may be doing, but he's going to kind of jump into it and be involved in the club in some way," Axelrod told The Chronicle.

The franchise's all-time leader in home runs, Bagwell received a $7 million buyout of his 2007 option from the Astros this offseason. The 38-year-old received $17 million in 2006 despite missing the entire campaign with an arthritic right shoulder.

Bagwell is the only first baseman and one of only 10 players all-time to hit 400 home runs and steal 200 bases. In 15 seasons -- all with the Astros -- the four-time All-Star and 1994 National League MVP hit .297 with 449 home runs, 1,529 RBI and 202 steals in 2,150 games.

Information from SportsTicker was used in this report.

Old Tiger
12-12-2006, 11:18 AM
What a great career!!! We'll miss ya Bags

g$$
12-12-2006, 02:56 PM
Class act all the way. I knew him when I worked there during his MVP 1994 season & he is a really good guy. He should make his way into the HOF in a few years too. His #s stack up & his career ending injury should be taken into account too.

Thanks Baggy!

un b weavable
12-12-2006, 03:09 PM
Finally. I like the guy but he should have been gone a couple of years ago.

thatsminty
12-12-2006, 03:11 PM
my heart was breaking before, and now it's officially broken. :(