PDA

View Full Version : Heartbreak Pass was on TCM last night!

Phil C
12-12-2006, 10:54 AM
It is a great train western made in 1975 and has great scenery and action and suspense. I will let you know when it is on again. It was based on Alistair MacLean's novel by the same name and the movie sticks to the book's plot very well. It has great actors such as Charles Bronson, Ben Johnson, Richard Crenna, Jill Ireland (Mr. Bronson's wife), Charles Durning and Ed Lauter as well as others. Scott Newman (Paul Newman's son) plays Trooper Rafferty and does a good job but unfortunately he was to commit suicide a few years later.

Of interest is that several great athletes have some minor roles and they do a good job also.

One is Archie Moore who plays Carlos the chef. He was a world championship boxer in the 50s. The movie has a great train fight between him and Bronson.

Another is Joe Kapp who plays Henry the steward. He was a great pro quarterback . He was All American at the University of California. He quarterbacked the Minnesota Vikings in their first super bowl. I think he is still the only player to play in the Rose Bowl, Super Bowl and Canada's Grey Cup. He was also the coach at California the year they beat Stanford and John Elway on the last play that was a final kickoff play with multiple laterals that wound up in the endzone.

Another one is Doug Atkins who plays Jebbo. He was a defensive lineman in pro football and is in the pro football hall of fame. He played on the Chicago Bears' NFL championship team of 1963 which was before the super bowl existed.

A great movie indeed and I will let you know when it is on again. TCM showed it last night but it has been on other channels such as the Encore Western Channel.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-12-2006, 11:06 AM
ONCE AGAIN, SOMETHING THAT COULD HAVE BEEN BROUGHT TO MY ATTENTION YESTERDAY .:mad:

Phil C
12-12-2006, 11:11 AM
Be patient Blue. This is to work your interest up so you will be sure to not miss it next time. I will let you know. You will say after you watch it "It was worth the wait." :)

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Be patient Blue. This is to work your interest up so you will be sure to not miss it next time. I will let you know. You will say after you watch it "It was worth the wait." :)

You know what, you're right. Thanks Phil. :thumbsup:

BTEXDAD
12-12-2006, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Phil C

You were a day late, as BBDE said, Phil.
Fortunately I was flipping channels and saw one of my heros (Bronson), so I tuned in and saw most of the movie. First time I'd seen it.
but do please advise if you notice it being on again.

Phil C
12-13-2006, 11:32 AM
I will let you know. Of the three athletes Doug Atkins is the hardest to spot since the other two are on the train and appear quite often. But when you see the three bad guys holding the fort commander hostage at the telegraph office the big mean one who is clean shaven is Doug.

Phil C
12-13-2006, 11:43 AM
I will ttt for you when I see when it is on again. Actually I got the name mixed up becaue it is Breakheart Pass and not Heartbreak Pass.