PDA

View Full Version : 1A McCamey playing for a state title!

Funk-d-fied
12-12-2006, 09:51 AM
http://www.oaoa.com/sports/sp121106a.htm

Funk-d-fied
12-12-2006, 09:55 AM
It's been a busy year in area football for us and unfortunately we bring the season to a close this weekend. But not before McCamey has its shot at bringing another state title home to the Permian Basin.

With teams such as McCamey, Midland Christian, Greenwood and Andrews making good runs in the postseason, it's been almost exhausting. So exhausting in fact that I'm in need of a well deserved vacation beginning this weekend. But before I go, let's recap the year in area football.

Like I mentioned, McCamey has a shot at a state title this week when the 10-4 Badgers take on 13-0 Alto in the Class A Division I state championship game at 3 p.m. Saturday in Brownwood.

McCamey will have its hands full against an Alto team that has outscored opponents 702-45 this year. Alto, which came down from being a Class 2A power during realignment, shut out nine of its opponents and the 25 points given up last week against Iola (a 39-25 victory) is the most the Yellow Jackets have given up in a game this season.

This matchup may be of David vs. Goliath proportions but if there is a team that has the heart and the will to slay a monster like Alto it would be the Badgers. It won't be easy as McCamey will have to play mistake-free football and make big plays against an Alto team with good size and speed.

If the Badgers pull off the upset, they would have become the first Permian Basin team to win a Class A title in the modern era. Wink won a Class A title in 1952 when the state had four classifications, and Monahans won a Class A state crown in 1948 when there were ... get ready for this ... three classifications. Wow, three state champions back then compared to 12 that will be crowned in the next two weeks. How times have changed.