PDA

View Full Version : Dodge to UNT

Gobbler Fan
12-12-2006, 09:20 AM
Dodge in line to get UNT jobBy TROY PHILLIPS
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

STAR-TELEGRAM/SHARON M. STEINMAN
Carroll coach Todd Dodge will reportedly be named head coach at North Texas, where he was an assistant in 1992-93.The search for a new North Texas head football coach is expected to end in the next 48 hours.

All signs point in the direction of Carroll High School coach Todd Dodge as being UNT's choice to replace Darrell Dickey, who was fired on Nov. 8.

Sources close to UNT's search, while not confirming Dodge will be hired, said an announcement concerning the head coaching job is expected as early as this afternoon. UNT could call a news conference late this afternoon or Wednesday morning.

Also today during a scheduled 2 p.m. meeting, the UNT Board of Regents will vote to authorize athletic director Rick Villarreal and school president Gretchen M. Bataille to enter into a contract with a new football coach.

Asked over the weekend what that vote is about, Villarreal said, "The board only approves the parameters of a contract and not a specific coach."

Villarreal, who did not return calls or e-mails on Monday, has yet to deny he has interviewed or even spoken to Dodge, but sources say a meeting or meetings have occurred. Dodge denied any knowledge of a news conference this week to announce his hiring at UNT.

Carroll (14-0) is scheduled to face Allen in the Class 5A Division I state semifinals on Saturday. Since moving up from Class 4A to 5A in 2002, Carroll is 77-1 and has won a state title three of the past four seasons.

"I'm not sure," Dodge said Monday, when asked why all speculation leads to him. "I'm just trying to get this team ready. I don't know anything about a press conference."

Asked if he was "unequivocally denying" that he would be UNT's next coach, Dodge didn't answer the question.

"I can't comment on this," he said.

Asked if Dodge is leaving, Carroll athletic director Ronnie Tipps declined to comment.

Dodge, a former quarterback at Texas, was a UNT assistant coach in 1992-93 and has also been a head coach at Cameron Yoe, Carrollton Smith and Fossil Ridge.

He appears to have been UNT's frontrunner for some time, despite reports Villarreal showed strong interest in University of San Diego coach Jim Harbaugh and South Carolina defensive coordinator Tyrone Nix. Harbaugh reportedly interviewed at UNT last week, and Nix withdrew from consideration several days earlier.

Sources also say Villarreal interviewed Nebraska offensive coordinator Jay Norvell.

It's not known whether Dodge has notified Carroll officials of his intent to resign after the football season. He will also coach one team at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl, a national high school all-star game, on Jan. 6. Starting Dec. 18, the weeks leading up to that game are dead (no-contact) weeks for college recruiting.

The dead period runs again until Jan. 11, and because so few recruiting days remain until the process picks up again on Jan. 12, sources said UNT felt like it had to make a move now.

Staff writer Trae Thompson contributed to this story.

IN THE KNOW

Todd Dodge résumé

YEAR-BY-YEAR RECORD

A look at Todd Dodge's career at Carroll, where he is 96-11:

Season Rec. Result
2000 9-5 4A Division II Region I final
2001 10-5 4A Division II state semifinals
2002 16-0 5A Division II state champions
2003 15-1 5A Division II state runner-up
2004 16-0 5A Division II state champions
2005 16-0 5A Division II state champions
2006 14-0 Play Saturday in 5A Division I semifinals

ACHIEVEMENTS

Assistant coach for West team in 2006 U.S. Army All-American Bowl.

2004 National Coach of the Year by USA Today.

Coached the North team in the 2004 Texas High School Coaches Association all-star football game.

Carroll is 77-1 since moving to Class 5A in 2002.

Guided Carroll to a record four consecutive Class 5A state title game appearances (2002-05).

Won three Class 5A Division II state titles (2002, 2004, 2005) and two mythical national championships (2004, 2005).

Produced four consecutive Associated Press Players of the Year (QBs Chase Wasson in 2002, Chase Daniel in 2003 and 2004, Greg McElroy in 2005).

mrescape43
12-12-2006, 09:21 AM
I am surprised that he will leave for his sons Sr. year. I figured he would stay 1 more year.

3afan
12-12-2006, 09:26 AM
agree - especially to go to to UNT ... they have a long way to go to be a "real" D-I program

kaorder1999
12-12-2006, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by mrescape43
I am surprised that he will leave for his sons Sr. year. I figured he would stay 1 more year.

well...hes about to get his kid a full ride to UNT and he will coach him 4 or 5 more years!!

3afan
12-12-2006, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
well...hes about to get his kid a full ride to UNT and he will coach his 4 or 5 more years!!

good point --- he's not a D-I QB, thats for sure ... IMO

Adidas410s
12-12-2006, 09:44 AM
well...hes about to get his kid a full ride to UNT and he will coach him 4 or 5 more years!!

I've also heard some say that Tre Newton would follow him as well. However, Newton is big enough at RB that I think he could get looked at elsewhere...

kaorder1999
12-12-2006, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I've also heard some say that Tre Newton would follow him as well. However, Newton is big enough at RB that I think he could get looked at elsewhere...

but theres a lot to say for going to a college where the head coach already knows you and trusts you!!

KTJ
12-12-2006, 10:31 AM
In other news, UNT has experienced a recent increase in applications from Southlake Carroll High School. Sources close to the Admissions Office say of those new applicants, 87% of them are football players.

Rabbit'93
12-12-2006, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
In other news, UNT has experienced a recent increase in applications from Southlake Carroll High School. Sources close to the Admissions Office say of those new applicants, 87% of them are football players. :clap: :clap:

Bearkat
12-12-2006, 11:31 AM
They should change the name of their mascot. Universtiy of North Texas Dragons. :D

mwynn05
12-12-2006, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
agree - especially to go to to UNT ... they have a long way to go to be a "real" D-I program A little closer than you think have you seen the facilities across 35? They're nice. The official new stadium announcement is supposidly supposed to coincide with the announcement of the new coach...thats what im hearing around here any way.

Old Tiger
12-12-2006, 12:21 PM
It would be weird if he left before his son's senior year.

mwynn05
12-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
It would be weird if he left before his son's senior year. I don't think its an "if" anymore

kaorder1999
12-12-2006, 12:27 PM
It would be weird if he left before his son's senior year.

happens more then you think....Briles, Kinne are just a couple that come to mind..

Old Tiger
12-12-2006, 12:29 PM
happens more then you think....Briles, Kinne are just a couple that come to mind.. Kinne got shot. Hell I would have left too.

sicem74
12-12-2006, 01:38 PM
at Cameron Yoe

wooooooooooooop

kaorder1999
12-12-2006, 01:45 PM
Kinne got shot. Hell I would have left too.

im talking about the move to college and leaving your kid in HS....

g$$
12-12-2006, 02:43 PM
I am surprised too, but Todd Dodge must have reassurances regarding the program's future that we do not know. This is not about his son Riley - maybe not a D1 qb but he is a D1 athlete. Maybe Todd wants a new challenge, & he will have a big one at UNT.

Best of luck Port Arthur Jefferson product Todd Dodge!

WildTexan
12-12-2006, 03:09 PM
Dodge could get a job at many good schools...even as good as his record is, no quality players will go to UNT so this will be a 2 year stepping job IF THAT if he really does screw up and take this gig....

I just won't believe it till I see it, cause no good coach would want this announcement made now while he has 2 games to go in the playoffs with his kids.....

Adidas410s
12-12-2006, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by WildTexan
Dodge could get a job at many good schools...even as good as his record is, no quality players will go to UNT so this will be a 2 year stepping job IF THAT if he really does screw up and take this gig....

I just won't believe it till I see it, cause no good coach would want this announcement made now while he has 2 games to go in the playoffs with his kids.....

www.dallasnews.com...it's on the front page! ;)

mwynn05
12-12-2006, 03:14 PM

I just won't believe it till I see it, cause no good coach would want this announcement made now while he has 2 games to go in the playoffs with his kids..... So Nathan Tune isn't a quality player?

mwynn05
12-12-2006, 03:15 PM
www.dallasnews.com...it's on the front page! ;) that's a first for something that isn't negative

theyoefnshow
12-12-2006, 04:00 PM
more than 500k a year? not bad for a guy that got run out of cameron mid school year lol

Adidas410s
12-12-2006, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by theyoefnshow
more than 500k a year? not bad for a guy that got run out of cameron mid school year lol
:confused:

WildTexan
12-12-2006, 04:06 PM
Nathan Tune was a good small school QB, but surely you would not count him as a high caliber D1 QB competing in Texas?

he is a good kid, but he ain't good enough to be leading UNT to compete with quality D1 programs.....I just DON'T see Dodge as a coach of a mediocre at best NewOrleans bowl type team.....the money is great for his family, but there is no way he stays there over 2-3 years before he moves on to a good program....

theyoefnshow
12-12-2006, 04:19 PM
Back when he was in cameron (94 and 95 season) dodge had amazing talent on the line and had 2 o3 outstanding running backs. the qb however was just terrible and the guy that should have been playing was out with injury. anyway, dodge was hell bent on using a pass attack that did not exsist and pretty much left these spectacular running backs in the cold. the result was a 5 and 5 and either 3 and 7 or 4 and 6 record. in december of his 2nd season he was removed, long time assistant randy sapp took over and in his first year, led the 96 version of the yoemen to the quarterfinals.

:confused:

kaorder1999
12-12-2006, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by theyoefnshow
Back when he was in cameron (94 and 95 season) dodge had amazing talent on the line and had 2 o3 outstanding running backs. the qb however was just terrible and the guy that should have been playing was out with injury. anyway, dodge was hell bent on using a pass attack that did not exsist and pretty much left these spectacular running backs in the cold. the result was a 5 and 5 and either 3 and 7 or 4 and 6 record. in december of his 2nd season he was removed, long time assistant randy sapp took over and in his first year, led the 96 version of the yoemen to the quarterfinals.

How many State Championships or mythical National Championships does Sapp have?

Adidas410s
12-12-2006, 04:39 PM
How many State Championships or mythical National Championships does Sapp have?

true...true...

olddawggreen
12-12-2006, 06:17 PM

If Todd had his way, the announcement wouldn't take place until SC's playoff schedule was over. If the announcement is made tonight, its because UNT has its own reasons for making it, not because Todd wants it to happen.
As far as why he would be willing to take a head coach position at UNT before his son Riley finishes his senior season, think about it. He will probably get an income increase of several times his current salary, he will be a very short commute from his home in Grapevine, which means he doesn't have to move his family. Riley and his sister can finish out at SLC, and Todd will be able to catch some of Riley's games next year.
At this time, I'd say UNC makes a lot of sense. Todd's accomplished about everything he can at SC and theres very little risk taking the new position. If he's successful at UNC, its just a stepping stone to the next level, if he doesn't have the success he wants at UNC, he most likely can coach at just about any high school in Texas that he would like to. I'm sure the timing is not exactly what Todd would like, but opportunity doesn't always come at the most convienant times.

setxsports
12-12-2006, 07:13 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2695177

It's Offical!

BobcatBenny
12-12-2006, 07:36 PM
Riley Dodge coming to Celina? :confused:

olddawggreen
12-12-2006, 09:37 PM
Its official! Just saw the press conference. Its a done deal as of December 24. Congratulations Todd!

setxsports
12-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Where was the press conference? I looked for it but couldn't find it.

Matthew328
12-12-2006, 09:49 PM
I heard it on the Ticket

olddawggreen
12-12-2006, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by **********
Where was the press conference? I looked for it but couldn't find it.

UNT Athletic Web Site.

olddawggreen
12-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
Riley Dodge coming to Celina? :confused:

Nope, Riley's staying at SLC.

kaorder1999
12-12-2006, 10:23 PM
http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics4/400/AM/AMGMMWAMWBLQJBY.20061213015238.jpg

Old Tiger
12-12-2006, 10:26 PM
I wish he would have taken Gred Davis' job at Texas :(

mwynn05
12-13-2006, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
If Todd had his way, the announcement wouldn't take place until SC's playoff schedule was over. If the announcement is made tonight, its because UNT has its own reasons for making it, not because Todd wants it to happen.
As far as why he would be willing to take a head coach position at UNT before his son Riley finishes his senior season, think about it. He will probably get an income increase of several times his current salary, he will be a very short commute from his home in Grapevine, which means he doesn't have to move his family. Riley and his sister can finish out at SLC, and Todd will be able to catch some of Riley's games next year.
At this time, I'd say UNC makes a lot of sense. Todd's accomplished about everything he can at SC and theres very little risk taking the new position. If he's successful at UNC, its just a stepping stone to the next level, if he doesn't have the success he wants at UNC, he most likely can coach at just about any high school in Texas that he would like to. I'm sure the timing is not exactly what Todd would like, but opportunity doesn't always come at the most convienant times. I think your wrong yes some it is UNT wanting it announced but you gotta think about a few things befoe you start assuming 1. Less of a distraction for SLC...with the way the rumors were flying today why wait and announce officially because if the kids at SLC are wondering it could be a distraction if they know for sure it is less of a distraction 2. Dodge wants to be successful and recruiting is part of that the sooner it is official the better it is for recruiting.

olddawggreen
12-13-2006, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by mwynn05
I think your wrong yes some it is UNT wanting it announced but you gotta think about a few things befoe you start assuming 1. Less of a distraction for SLC...with the way the rumors were flying today why wait and announce officially because if the kids at SLC are wondering it could be a distraction if they know for sure it is less of a distraction 2. Dodge wants to be successful and recruiting is part of that the sooner it is official the better it is for recruiting.

Wasn't assuming, I know first hand what Todd would have perferred. At this time his main concern is his team. If he had his way, this wouldn't have happened until after SLC finished playing this year. Unfortunatly opportunity doesn't always come along when its best for your own schedule.
I do agree with you that as this thing developed (the rumors have been flying for the last several weeks) it may have become best for him to lay down the facts to the team. As much as he wanted to keep this off the table until after the playoffs, I think this thing took on a life of it's own. Now that its out, it allows him to focus 100% on the task at hand, for the Dragons to win their next two games and take home another state title.. When the season is over for SLC, he will definatly hit the road running to put his new staff in place and to start recruiting for UNT. Until then its all about SLC.

mwynn05
12-13-2006, 01:38 PM
Wasn't assuming, I know first hand what Todd would have perferred. At this time his main concern is his team. If he had his way, this wouldn't have happened until after SLC finished playing this year. Unfortunatly opportunity doesn't always come along when its best for your own schedule.
I do agree with you that as this thing developed (the rumors have been flying for the last several weeks) it may have become best for him to lay down the facts to the team. As much as he wanted to keep this off the table until after the playoffs, I think this thing took on a life of it's own. Now that its out, it allows him to focus 100% on the task at hand, for the Dragons to win their next two games and take home another state title.. When the season is over for SLC, he will definatly hit the road running to put his new staff in place and to start recruiting for UNT. Until then its all about SLC. Well that was public knowledge that he wasn't going to talk until after the season for SLC but i guess that changed if he negotiated and signed a contract....and wanna talk about commitment this guy is starting December 26th....talk about a guy who has the tools for success the first business day after Carroll's season a breath of fresh air for UNT after having Darryl "i have the worst situation in D1" Dickey as a coach

Stownhorse
12-13-2006, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Bearkat
They should change the name of their mascot. Universtiy of North Texas Dragons. :D

Hell just rename the university to Todd Dodge University lol

olddawggreen
12-13-2006, 03:45 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mwynn05
[B]Well that was public knowledge that he wasn't going to talk until after the season for SLC but i guess that changed if he negotiated and signed a contract....

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

mwynn05
12-13-2006, 03:54 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mwynn05
[B]Well that was public knowledge that he wasn't going to talk until after the season for SLC but i guess that changed if he negotiated and signed a contract....

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Role your eyes all you want but its true if you want me to find the statement I can go do it...

olddawggreen
12-13-2006, 05:30 PM
Role your eyes all you want but its true if you want me to find the statement I can go do it...

I didn't hear about from a public announcement, I heard about it from the horses mouth.

mwynn05
12-13-2006, 06:54 PM
I didn't hear about from a public announcement, I heard about it from the horses mouth. ok so what are you trying to prove by rolling your eyes? he made a statement about it...

olddawggreen
12-13-2006, 08:23 PM
ok so what are you trying to prove by rolling your eyes? he made a statement about it...

Geeze guy, not that it matters, but after my post, you stated that I had made assumptions in what I said. What I was trying to tell you was that I wasn't making assumptions, I didn't get my information from a public source or a public statement made by Todd, but from a personal conversation that I had with him before all of this broke. I'm not trying to get into his business, but I know how he felt about any of this coming out before the playoffs were over. If it was going to happen, he didn't want it to happen until after SLC's last game.

mwynn05
12-13-2006, 08:58 PM
Geeze guy, not that it matters, but after my post, you stated that I had made assumptions in what I said. What I was trying to tell you was that I wasn't making assumptions, I didn't get my information from a public source or a public statement made by Todd, but from a personal conversation that I had with him before all of this broke. I'm not trying to get into his business, but I know how he felt about any of this coming out before the playoffs were over. If it was going to happen, he didn't want it to happen until after SLC's last game. Actually it would still be an assumption that he still felt that way if you hadn't talked to him since but what do i know im just a lowly college student :rolleyes:

olddawggreen
12-13-2006, 09:02 PM
Actually it would still be an assumption that he still felt that way if you hadn't talked to him since but what do i know im just a lowly college student :rolleyes:

What ever. Your assuming that I haven't talked to him since.;)

mwynn05
12-13-2006, 09:54 PM
What ever. Your assuming that I haven't talked to him since.;) now you got me there lol that was a good one....but i did say if so that saves me on that one

olddawggreen
12-13-2006, 10:47 PM
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/792/starwarsgif2sc6.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Have a good evening my young collegiate friend:) :) :)

mwynn05
12-13-2006, 11:37 PM
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/792/starwarsgif2sc6.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Have a good evening my young collegiate friend:) :) :) I wont i just wrote almost 8 pages of essay for my history final tomorrow and I still need to read my notes a couple more times