PDA

View Full Version : Hey kids....DO NOT steal a Playstation 3...

theyoefnshow
12-12-2006, 12:04 AM
HOLY CRAP!

POLICE KILL SUSPECT ACCUSED OF STEALING PS3 [Full credit: Gamespot, Starnewonline.com]

Eighteen-year-old Peyton Strickland of Wilmington, North Carolina, accused of robbing a student of two Playstation 3 consoles at the system's launch, died Friday after being shot by police intending to search his home and arrest him.

The police went to Strickland's apartment on Friday evening intending to serve a search warrant and arrest him. One of Strickland's three roommates, Mike Rhoton, told the Star-News that the student was killed while walking to answer a knock at the door. The roomate also claimed that Strickland was unarmed, and that he could see no reason why the police opened fire. Strickland's German shepherd was also shot and killed by a deputy. Because of safety concerns, UNCW Police Chief David Donaldson requested the help of sheriff's deputies to serve the warrants on Strickland, according to a university news release. Three unloaded guns were in the house - a hunting rifle and two shotguns - which were in Strickland's room, Rhoton said. And when Strickland answered the door, he may have been holding a PlayStation controller in his hand, he said.

On Friday night, Rhoton said he and Strickland played a PlayStation video game...when they heard a knock on the door. Strickland, who sat on a couch closest to the front door, got up to answer, Rhoton said. As Strickland approached the door, law enforcement officials knocked it down and "there was a bunch of yelling," he said. "Four or five shots went off and they killed him. They pinned me down to the ground and told me not to move anything." Within seconds, Strickland lay on the floor moaning while officers held a gun to Rhoton's head as he lay on the floor. He said they mentioned something about a search warrant, but they did not provide a copy.

County District Attorney Ben David said that an investigation had been launched and the conduct of all officers and deputies invloved was being reviewed. "No one's above the law. If there's any criminal conduct that can be established, I'm not going to hesitate to treat them as any other defendant," said David.

And this is coming in after the incident here in NY where cops shot someone 51 times without a very strong case of why they did it in the first place. It's bad enough the people trying to buy the console are hurting others, but now the police are barging in and killing people. I'm not even sure if they fully proved that he stole the PS3 in the first place.

GreenMonster
12-12-2006, 12:18 AM
I have a friend on staff at UNC-Wilmington. I wonder what he knows about this?

whtfbplaya
12-12-2006, 12:19 AM
If I catch the person that broke into my truck the police will be the least of their worries.

Boosty_Hondo
12-12-2006, 12:19 AM
wow that is horrible

Pudlugger
12-12-2006, 12:20 AM
I read about this last week. Allegedly a kid that waited all night in line to buy two pS2s for about $1300 was beaten and robbed in the WalMart parking lot by this guy and his partner. The kid filed a complaint and the cops arrived with a warrant. According to the cops when they knocked no one responded so they broke down the door and when confronted by the young man with a controller in his hand openned fire.
What I got from this sad event was:

1. It is not a good thing to steal from someone. $1300 is a lot of money and to beat a kid and steal from him is a serious crime.
2. The cops over reacted. They misinterpretated the situation, but in a split second it can be life or death for a cop.
3. Actions have consequences. It is not cute or funny to rip off someone. It can result in tragic consequences.
4. It is too bad about the dog, the only innocent one in this whole tragedy.

RMAC
12-12-2006, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
I read about this last week. Allegedly a kid that waited all night in line to buy two pS2s for about $1300 was beaten and robbed in the WalMart parking lot by this guy and his partner. The kid filed a complaint and the cops arrived with a warrant. According to the cops when they knocked no one responded so they broke down the door and when confronted by the young man with a controller in his hand openned fire.
What I got from this sad event was:

1. It is not a good thing to steal from someone. $1300 is a lot of money and to beat a kid and steal from him is a serious crime.
2. The cops over reacted. They misinterpretated the situation, but in a split second it can be life or death for a cop.
3. Actions have consequences. It is not cute or funny to rip off someone. It can result in tragic consequences.
4. It is too bad about the dog, the only innocent one in this whole tragedy.

Where's the proof that he stole it anyways? What about the whole thing in the U.S. Judiciary System saying something to the effect of, I don't know: Innocent UNITL proven guilty? To me this just looks like another case of some police officers who were on power trips because they have guns and badges.

whtfbplaya
12-12-2006, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by RMAC
Where's the proof that he stole it anyways? What about the whole thing in the U.S. Judiciary System saying something to the effect of, I don't know: Innocent UNITL proven guilty? To me this just looks like another case of some police officers who were on power trips because they have guns and badges.

I am not saying you are wrong, but you do realize that this system by design lets off many guilty people. If I catch someone stealing from me, I will be the judge, jury and shooter.

Pudlugger
12-12-2006, 12:43 AM

You will note I used the term alleged. You will also note I stated the police over reacted. If the accused was innocent that only makes the situation worse. If he was guilty that does not excuse the excessive use of force. However, if he was guilty he did set in motion this whole chain of events and must share in the blame. My point is don't break the law and the chances of this sort of thing are much smaller, but regretably not zero. From what is known in the reporting of this event it does appear the police engaged in a gross over use of deadly force. Sad that this kid had to pay such a price for a stupid thing like a video game. I am confident that the police officers involved truly regret this and wish it had not happened. Put yourself in the cops shoes, dark room, man approaching with what looks like a weapon in his hand in the course of an arrest...split second decision and a dead kid. I agree that the cops appear wrong here but it is unfortunately the nature of police work to be in such circumstances where tragic mistakes can happen.

piratebg
12-12-2006, 12:49 AM

They must have had some sort of proof to show cause, othewise a judge would not have signed both a search and arrest warrant. I know the reason the officers had their guns drawn to begin with was because they were serving a felony warrant for the theft/robbery. Mistaking a game controller for a weapon might be pushing it a little. This just looks like one big mess.

Phil C
12-12-2006, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by whtfbplaya
If I catch the person that broke into my truck the police will be the least of their worries.

wht don't take the law into your own hands. You could get into trouble.