PDA

View Full Version : A&M gets huge commitment in football...

g$$
12-11-2006, 04:11 PM
Brandon Joiner
DE/OLB
Killeen Shoemaker HS
6'2" 235 lbs.
4.47 40 yd. dash
Top 100 state recruit, DCTF Magazine Super Team Defense (3rd team preseason)

Killeen Shoemaker DE/OLB Brandon Joiner did indeed commit to
Texas A&M while in College Station for his official visit over the weekend. He wanted to get home and tell the coaches from Nebraska and Oklahoma State about his decision before the news was made public.

Joiner, who checked in a 6-2, 235 pounds on his visit, said that the Aggies recruited him as a defensive end. As a senior, Joiner totaled 93 tackles, 7 sacks, 5 pass deflections, and 3 forced fumbles. Brandon's most recent 40 time was a 4.47, so he's going to bring plenty of much-needed speed to A&M's front seven.

bigcat8
12-11-2006, 04:16 PM
the ags need more defensive speed

Adidas410s
12-11-2006, 04:17 PM
I wonder if they'll try to use him like a Dwight Freeney prototype...

g$$
12-11-2006, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by bigcat8

Yes, but getting better quickly (Joiner, Von Miller, D. Stephens, etc.). Redshirted a couple of kids too.

Dwight Freeney? Time will tell on weight gain & if he redshirts (likely), but nice comparison (Freeney is about 260ish right?) If you put your hand on the ground to play in D1 football, a redshirt year is usually needed for weight gain & maturity. Good get though no doubt.

Adidas410s
12-11-2006, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Dwight Freeney? Time will tell on weight gain & if he redshirts (likely), but nice comparison (Freeney is about 260ish right?) If you put your hand on the ground to play in D1 football, a redshirt year is usually needed for weight gain & maturity. Good get though no doubt.

Yeah. Obviously the kid will grow through a redshirt year as a DE. If they're going to use him as a pure DE in their 4-2-5 rather than a hybrid DE/OLB (i.e. DeMarcus Ware) then Freeney comes to mind. He's similar in size (Freeney is 6'1" 265) and similar in the 40 time. With the weight gain...they could be very similar players if he is used properly.

bigcat8
12-11-2006, 04:59 PM
you know, I hope A&M's defense keeps adding players with extreme speed. Great defense fits that environment. The noise level was unbelievable at Kyle Field in the wreckin'crews hayday.

Phil C
12-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Indeed a good addition for the Aggies. They are in great shape for Miami now.

Bulldog_12
12-11-2006, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by bigcat8

The rumor is, that Latrael Cooper is possibly changing to LB or maybe the whip. Thats all just a rumor right now though.

g$$
12-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
The rumor is, that Latrael Cooper is possibly changing to LB or maybe the whip. Thats all just a rumor right now though.

If his knee is healthy, I could see this ASAP. I like it for Cooper, esp. w/ the RB depth we have now & in the future (Stephens from McAllen, etc.). Cooper has the size to make that move for sure, esp. at LB.

Emerson1
12-11-2006, 06:29 PM
So is aggy back in the top25 for 07 now?

g$$
12-11-2006, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
So is aggy back in the top25 for 07 now?

If you meant recruiting rankings, projected to be Top 20 mythical class but could go up some based on a couple of kids.

In football:
We are Top 25 right now again (like #21/22).

Projected to be Top 15 to begin 2007 season.

What is AGGY? Same as WHORN? Just wondering, I think both are stupid too.

coach
12-11-2006, 06:37 PM
will the ags have achance to be ranked ahead of texas???

g$$
12-11-2006, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by coach
will the ags have achance to be ranked ahead of texas???

No, not to begin the season. I just want to be ranked in Top 15 & go from there. Name Texas carries weight & they return McCoy, etc. Texas does lose more players & starters then A&M though by far. A&M returns 18 starters. Most experienced team returning in a long time.

coach
12-11-2006, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by g$$
No, not to begin the season. I just want to be ranked in Top 15 & go from there. Name Texas carries weight & they return McCoy, etc. Texas does lose more players & starters then A&M though by far. A&M returns 18 starters. Most experienced team returning in a long time.

yeah thats what i thought but it will be nice to be ranked in the top 15 again but i think for that to happen we must win our bowl game

EAGLE9166
12-11-2006, 06:58 PM
Aggie recruiter in Tatum this afternoon

g$$
12-11-2006, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by EAGLE9166
Aggie recruiter in Tatum this afternoon

Don't doubt it, Lennon Creer is a big-timer.

Old Tiger
12-11-2006, 07:11 PM
Creer should go to Florida they are in need of a big time pure RB.

Bulldog_12
12-11-2006, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by g$$

Negative. I want no part in rankings at the beginning of the year. Receiving votes is fine, but any time we are expected to be one of the better teams we fall on our face. #25 would be ok also, but I fear if we beat Cal we will jump into the top 20 to start next year. It always happens. lol

g$$
12-12-2006, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
Negative. I want no part in rankings at the beginning of the year. Receiving votes is fine, but any time we are expected to be one of the better teams we fall on our face. #25 would be ok also, but I fear if we beat Cal we will jump into the top 20 to start next year. It always happens. lol

It is very hard to jump into the final mix if you start too low. Top 15 is fine by me. I know what you are saying, but if you start unranked it is too hard to climb high enough to matter (very few exceptions).

If A&M beats Cal & ends up 10-3 with 18 starters returning, then you can book it that we will be preseason Top 15 for 2007. Next year's road schedule is what worries me (Miami, Mizzou, Tech, OU, & Nebraska). Fran still has lots to prove to me, not just one big win.

Adidas410s
12-12-2006, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by g$$
It is very hard to jump into the final mix if you start too low. Top 15 is fine by me. I know what you are saying, but if you start unranked it is too hard to climb high enough to matter (very few exceptions).

If A&M beats Cal & ends up 10-3 with 18 starters returning, then you can book it that we will be preseason Top 15 for 2007. Next year's road schedule is what worries me (Miami, Mizzou, Tech, OU, & Nebraska). Fran still has lots to prove to me, not just one big win.
The Aggies can't get to Lubbock soon enough. That should end all the talk about high rankings!!! :D:D:D