PDA

View Full Version : Replacement for Andy Pettitte

BTEXDAD
12-11-2006, 09:07 AM
Here's a pitcher the astros could go after to replace Pettitte.

Report: Talks with Matsuzaka break down

FOXSports.com

Here's what $51.11 million might buy the Boston Red Sox — absolutely nothing.

According to a report in the Boston Herald, negotiations between the Red Sox and Japanese pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka have broken down. Citing a source familiar with the talks, the Herald said unless there is an abrupt change of course, Matsuzaka will not be signing with Boston before Thursday's midnight deadline.
Last month, Boston bid $51.11 million for exclusive negotiating rights with the Japanese star. If the Red Sox are not able to reach an agreement with Matsuzaka, they will not have to pay a penny of their winning bid.

The Herald's source laid the blame for the stalled negotiations at the feet of Matsuzaka's agent, Scott Boras, saying Boras has been unwilling to negotiate and has even acted disinterested in making a deal.

According to the Herald, it is believed the Red Sox's initial offer was in the range of $7 or $8 million per year for between four to six years, while Boras was asking for approximately $15 million per year.

coach
12-11-2006, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
Here's a pitcher the astros could go after to replace Pettitte.

Report: Talks with Matsuzaka break down

FOXSports.com

Here's what $51.11 million might buy the Boston Red Sox — absolutely nothing.

According to a report in the Boston Herald, negotiations between the Red Sox and Japanese pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka have broken down. Citing a source familiar with the talks, the Herald said unless there is an abrupt change of course, Matsuzaka will not be signing with Boston before Thursday's midnight deadline.
Last month, Boston bid $51.11 million for exclusive negotiating rights with the Japanese star. If the Red Sox are not able to reach an agreement with Matsuzaka, they will not have to pay a penny of their winning bid.

The Herald's source laid the blame for the stalled negotiations at the feet of Matsuzaka's agent, Scott Boras, saying Boras has been unwilling to negotiate and has even acted disinterested in making a deal.

According to the Herald, it is believed the Red Sox's initial offer was in the range of $7 or $8 million per year for between four to six years, while Boras was asking for approximately $15 million per year.

yeah but if the red sox dont get him then he has to go back to japan or wherever he is from... nobody can get him only the red sox so it looks like houston will have to fing someone else like mark mulder or baryy zitto

JR2004
12-11-2006, 09:32 AM
The Red Sox knew what they were doing and they were negotiating in bad faith. They had ZERO intention of actually signing him. They just kept him from being a Yankee. Even though I enjoy seeing the Yanks kept from getting a player, what Boston did is highly unethical in my opinion even though it's within MLB's silly rules on this matter.

I'll be very shocked to actually see Boston put an offer out there before the deadline that makes anyone believe they really wanted him.

Old Tiger
12-11-2006, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by JR2004
The Red Sox knew what they were doing and they were negotiating in bad faith. They had ZERO intention of actually signing him. They just kept him from being a Yankee. Even though I enjoy seeing the Yanks kept from getting a player, what Boston did is highly unethical in my opinion even though it's within MLB's silly rules on this matter.

I'll be very shocked to actually see Boston put an offer out there before the deadline that makes anyone believe they really wanted him. While I like your thinking that is absurd to think. Why waist 50+ million if you don't plan on signing him.

BTEXDAD
12-11-2006, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by JR2004

I agree with you on this, JR2004, and I don't think the Astros have any interest in trying to deal with agent Scott Boras anyway.
Uncle Drayton was on sports talk 610 one morning last week.
They asked him about all the money now available and he gave some kind of explanation that made it sound like signing Carlos Lee used up all the excess cash left over from last yrs' payroll.
I thought now the $17 Million they had to still pay Bagwell last yr was available. right now the $20 million prorated (approx $12 million) they paid Roger last yr is available, along with the $16 million they paid Pettitte.
That's approx $45 million minus $16 million per yr for Carlos Lee. Still $29 million less right now than last yrs payroll. What else have they spent the money on?
Woody Williams' salary is minimal by major league standards. I understand they do still want Lidge who is up for contract and I'm not sure what else they're working on.
I didn't have a problem with what they offered pettitte. He was in Houston three yrs and making a lot of money, but only pitched about a season and a half when you subtract the time he was injured. Roger was a distraction last year by not letting anyone know if he was going to play until season well under way.
Jon Garland with White sox is available on market. Estimated price tag $10 million.
Berkman was on the same talk show about a week earlier. When askd about the Carlos Lee deal. He said it was good unless that signing kept Astros from holding on to pitcher like Pettitte or not getting another starting pitcher of his caliber. Berkman said he's been in league long enough to know you don't win without starting pitching no matter how much hitting you have.

BTEXDAD
12-11-2006, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
While I like your thinking that is absurd to think. Why waist 50+ million if you don't plan on signing him.

from the article:

GreenMonster
12-11-2006, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
While I like your thinking that is absurd to think. Why waist 50+ million if you don't plan on signing him.

That's just it Tiger, they didn't waste any money. If no deal is met with the pitcher then the Red Sox do not have to pay the $51.1 million or any part of it.

coach
12-11-2006, 09:53 AM
from the article:

thanks i was goin to say that but i wasnt 100% sure if that was correct

g$$
12-11-2006, 03:38 PM
I agree with you on this, JR2004, and I don't think the Astros have any interest in trying to deal with agent Scott Boras anyway.
Uncle Drayton was on sports talk 610 one morning last week.
They asked him about all the money now available and he gave some kind of explanation that made it sound like signing Carlos Lee used up all the excess cash left over from last yrs' payroll.
I thought now the $17 Million they had to still pay Bagwell last yr was available. right now the $20 million prorated (approx $12 million) they paid Roger last yr is available, along with the $16 million they paid Pettitte.
That's approx $45 million minus $16 million per yr for Carlos Lee. Still $29 million less right now than last yrs payroll. What else have they spent the money on?
Woody Williams' salary is minimal by major league standards. I understand they do still want Lidge who is up for contract and I'm not sure what else they're working on.
I didn't have a problem with what they offered pettitte. He was in Houston three yrs and making a lot of money, but only pitched about a season and a half when you subtract the time he was injured. Roger was a distraction last year by not letting anyone know if he was going to play until season well under way.
Jon Garland with White sox is available on market. Estimated price tag $10 million.
Berkman was on the same talk show about a week earlier. When askd about the Carlos Lee deal. He said it was good unless that signing kept Astros from holding on to pitcher like Pettitte or not getting another starting pitcher of his caliber. Berkman said he's been in league long enough to know you don't win without starting pitching no matter how much hitting you have.

You are assuming the Astros will again go over $100 million on payroll, & I do not think they will ($17 million of that last year was for Bagwell anyway). I don't have a problem with the Pettitte deal either (he was hurt 1.5 yrs. of the 3 & wanted 2 more years).

Best option? Jason Jennings of Colorado & formerly of Baylor IMO. He is under contract so it will have to be a trade (maybe Burke). I think he would do well with his sinkerball style in MMP. Garland still has 2 yrs. left too on his contract ($10 then $12 million). Berkman was great on 610 AM huh? Love that guy's humor & humility.

BTEXDAD
12-11-2006, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by g$$
You are assuming the Astros will again go over $100 million on payroll, & I do not think they will ($17 million of that last year was for Bagwell anyway).

Best option? Jason Jennings of Colorado & formerly of Baylor IMO. He is under contract so it will have to be a trade (maybe Burke). I think he would do well with his sinkerball style in MMP. Garland still has 2 yrs. left too on his contract ($10 then $12 million). Berkman was great on 610 AM huh? Love that guy's humor & humility.

I guess I was assuming they'd spend at least what they spent in '06, but you're right since 17 million was for player that didn't even play, drayton may feel that's money that's not needed in equation.
I didn't realize a trade was necessary for Garland. They gave impression on radio, that he was free agent and mentioned the 10 million. I haven't looked it up. Normally you have the correct info tho, g$$.

Berkman is knowledgeable and very humorous. I always enjoy when they have him on. He mentioned a Randy Wolf as starting pitcher free agent possibility. I think he was with Phi.

g$$
12-11-2006, 04:48 PM
I guess I was assuming they'd spend at least what they spent in '06, but you're right since 17 million was for player that didn't even play, drayton may feel that's money that's not needed in equation.
I didn't realize a trade was necessary for Garland. They gave impression on radio, that he was free agent and mentioned the 10 million. I haven't looked it up. Normally you have the correct info tho, g$$.

Berkman is knowledgeable and very humorous. I always enjoy when they have him on. He mentioned a Randy Wolf as starting pitcher free agent possibility. I think he was with Phi.

Yes, Garland & Jennings are both under contract. I liked Randy Wolf too but he just signed elsewhere. I have always liked him.

We offered Taveras, Buchholz, & Hirsh for Garland (maybe a bit much IMO), but health concerns arose on Buchholz so the deal was scrapped so far. It may be rekindled now that Pettitte officially left for NY.

Jason Schmidt & Barry Zito were the 2 big FAs out there, & Schmidt signed last week w/ the Dodgers. Zito will command too much $$ & I don't think he is a fit at MMP anyway (LHP & fly ball pitcher). I see a trade coming soon for a #2 starter. Cannot go to Spring Training w/ Oswalt, Woody Williams, & kids in your rotation & expect to be a contender. I think either Ensberg or Taveras gets dealt for pitching. I vote for Jason Jennings.