PDA

View Full Version : what offense does Vernon run?

dogdad
12-10-2006, 09:39 PM
just looking ahead to see if anyone can line up against the Celina D
I know that Liberty Hill runs a slot T
what about Hondo?

Gsquared
12-10-2006, 10:01 PM
Think Hondo runs spread and runs the ball a bunch!

VWG
12-10-2006, 10:45 PM
Vernon runs the Wing T... and they might throw a spread formation, but very rarely.

dogdad
12-10-2006, 11:22 PM
things are lined up pretty well for the bobcats

$cooter!
12-10-2006, 11:36 PM
I expect a good close game with Vernon milking that clock down in the lead at the end. They can line up and run on anyone, they been doing it for the past couple of years now.

dogdad
12-10-2006, 11:55 PM
yes, but can they line up and run at Celina....and can they milk that clock?

WildTexan
12-11-2006, 12:01 AM
the teams of the past couple of years don't count this week....and what you can do to a mediocre sugarwater or snyder team is of little merit this week either....line em up and smash em together, but I likes our chances in that style of a game.....

turbostud
12-11-2006, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by WildTexan
..and what you can do to a mediocre sugarwater or snyder team ...
LOL :D

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-11-2006, 07:45 AM
the teams of the past couple of years don't count this week....and what you can do to a mediocre sugarwater or snyder team is of little merit this week either....line em up and smash em together, but I likes our chances in that style of a game.....

Two notes to start: Sweetwater was not mediocre. They were a good football team.

Snyder was a great team...probably the best I have seen outside of Midland Christian this year.

Vernon runs out of the Wing T will also run out of the spread on occasion like VWG stated. Although they have some quick backs the style is not breaking the long one. In fact they like to run it right off the guard and tackle with a 6'2" 225 pound full back who gets 5 or 6 yards a carry. Then they run the QB keeper who is all of 6' 190 pounds. Then they will pitch it to the quick back Graf who will take it outside or catch it out of the backfield. Vernon plays pretty simple assignment football. Outside of Whiteside (Who will be playing division I ball) probably none of our players will get college scholarships. (I don't know this but I suspect it). But like some have mentioned about Celina they play well as a group.

Vernon's Coach Hall has an impresive playoff record at 8-2. That is in 4 years that he has been the head coach.

Gsquared
12-11-2006, 07:49 AM
Gimme Celina by 14

BILLYFRED0000
12-11-2006, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by VWG
Vernon runs the Wing T... and they might throw a spread formation, but very rarely.

Isn't that kind of what Pewitt Ran last year? I was trying to remember the sets. I do know that they had the 2a player of the year in their full back and 2 2500 yard backs. I think we held them to 177 yards rushing. They could not throw.
What kind of size does Vernon have up front?

westcoast54
12-11-2006, 09:06 AM
Should be a very good game. Celina is well...Celina and Vernon is playing well right now.

Black_Magic
12-11-2006, 10:13 AM
If Celina cant stop Whitesides then it will be a tough game. Vernon is solid on both sides of the ball. Key is stoping the big fullback. IF you cant do it its a long game.

BILLYFRED0000
12-11-2006, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
If Celina cant stop Whitesides then it will be a tough game. Vernon is solid on both sides of the ball. Key is stoping the big fullback. IF you cant do it its a long game.
No one but Robinson has run on us this year and Robinson did not
run much. They did break a 100 yards rushing I think but did not score but twice. Some people ran backwards. Pilot Point was beat in the 3rd round and we had them at -13 yards. So this will
be strength on strength. Good D against good power running.
My kind of football. Cannot wait. Wish the game was today.

WildTexan
12-11-2006, 10:32 AM
Sugarwater was so good they made the 2nd round....boy that is impressive.....and by West Texas standards maybe Snyder was great, but they probably would have struggled to make the playoffs in our district.....but hey, they did make the 3rd round, so I guess by lowered standards they were greatness out there....

8-2 in the playoffs for the coach eh? Not to brag or nuthing, but our coach is 10-0 the last 2 years.....he does have 3 playoff loses as coach of Celina, so I guess that makes the 15 wins look weaker.....

J/K but the fact is, to brag on the teams you beat is a little shallow....I doubt Snyder could play with Madison, and Canton is just the type team that gives Sweetwater fits, and BB could probably have beaten all of your playoff opponents as well....but alas, all that matters is who wins this week, so we can find out where we play next week before we go on holiday break....

Butkus
12-11-2006, 10:35 AM
Sugarwater was so good they made the 2nd round....boy that is impressive.....and by West Texas standards maybe Snyder was great, but they probably would have struggled to make the playoffs in our district.....but hey, they did make the 3rd round, so I guess by lowered standards they were greatness out there....

8-2 in the playoffs for the coach eh? Not to brag or nuthing, but our coach is 10-0 the last 2 years.....he does have 3 playoff loses as coach of Celina, so I guess that makes the 15 wins look weaker.....

J/K but the fact is, to brag on the teams you beat is a little shallow....I doubt Snyder could play with Madison, and Canton is just the type team that gives Sweetwater fits, and BB could probably have beaten all of your playoff opponents as well....but alas, all that matters is who wins this week, so we can find out where we play next week before we go on holiday break.... An opinions r like bungholes everybody got one an they all stink.

BILLYFRED0000
12-11-2006, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Butkus
An opinions r like bungholes everybody got one an they all stink.

I agree with that sentiment. I do not compare past opponents because that is just so much hypothesis. I will look at overall records vs style of play with points scored and allowed to judge overall. Vernon does not score a lot and they allow points to be
scored. Makes for some exciting games and also makes issues for mistakes. Usually will cost the game because there is not much room for error.

Butkus
12-11-2006, 11:49 AM

J/K but the fact is, to brag on the teams you beat is a little shallow....

Like this

Always some hater fool that thinks a team only wins because they don't play anyone....

Again the fool must be shown....we played Robinson this year...are they still in the playoffs? We played PP and they made the 3rd round...in 2A we played all non-district 3A teams for several years, and most of those years the teams we played had 2-3 previous year 3A playoff teams included....

Prosper ran offensive sets similar to what Canton did last week....they put guys almost anywhere and had lots of motion and then when the ball was snapped, they got shelled...

Madison did not RUN a spread offense....they rarely passed out of it and when they did the QB was not very accurate....he hit 2 good passes all night....they spread some guys around the field, but not all that often....and your assertion was "how will Celina handle it when they spread guys out?"....I think Celina handled it to the tune of one of the top backs in the State getting 22 yards for the night.....so I'd say 10-1 against the spread was a success....(although to be honest most folks call about any defense Celina is in 10-1, when in fact they ain't really in it unless it is called for)

That Ricco turned out to not be much more than flash...I think the thought by some here was AGAIN that this team got the ball to THIS all world back in a new manner than Madison did for McNeil or Canton did for their little guy.....

[i]

I can not speak for all the Celina fans, but I can tell you most of us are not so much into the 3-4-5 td victories every week, because those games get dull fast, so the BB game was entertaining since it was more competitive at least thru the half.....[/B]

[i]

The Cosby kid at Mart was a horse, and Celina did not shut him down, but they did harness him enough to win the game, and that is all that matters this week......[/B]

WildTexan
12-11-2006, 11:53 AM
whining about opinions being stated on this board is about full-on stupid.....but then again, there has to be the way below average to allow the above average to shine....

I really don't mind Vernon, seein as they are never going to be a team we deal with until the 5th round, but since our uniforms are so much better lookin, it means we will win for sure......

and then maybe next year Sugarwater can get the job done for our 1st ever 3A grudge match......

all this playoff run success for Celina and Robinson should make for a good 1st game next year, if that game was on a 2 year contract, like most games are.....

Black_Magic
12-11-2006, 12:03 PM
and then maybe next year Sugarwater can get the job done for our 1st ever 3A grudge match......
I believe Sweetwater Graduated the House. JV and Frosh were not that potent either. May be a few years befor Sweetwater recovers. May have a hard time making the playoffs in district next year. I believe Comanche wylie and Brek all beat Sweetwater in the sub varsity level. It does not say everything but it is an indicator for next year.

BILLYFRED0000
12-11-2006, 12:48 PM
I believe Sweetwater Graduated the House. JV and Frosh were not that potent either. May be a few years befor Sweetwater recovers. May have a hard time making the playoffs in district next year. I believe Comanche wylie and Brek all beat Sweetwater in the sub varsity level. It does not say everything but it is an indicator for next year.

That is one tough district in any case. Just surviving to fight another day is an adventure.

sweetwater07
12-11-2006, 12:51 PM
....and what you can do to a mediocre sugarwater or snyder team

your a douche if you actually think that these two teams are "mediocre"....two good teams out of West Texas

sweetwater07
12-11-2006, 12:54 PM

we will have a good QB LB OL and DE next year...other than that..most of the team is leaving

DaHop72
12-11-2006, 12:55 PM
but then again, there has to be the way below average to allow the above average to shine....

Which is why it seems you post and the rest of us appreciate you making us look so good.:devil: :devil:

sweetwater07
12-11-2006, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
Which is why it seems you post and the rest of us appreciate you making us look so good.:devil: :devil:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BILLYFRED0000
12-11-2006, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

There is always someone who gets carried away. Probably a youngster. Just out of curiosity, what happend at the mustang
lion game. I had Sweetwater as my favorite in d2 region 1.

STANG RED
12-11-2006, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
There is always someone who gets carried away. Probably a youngster. Just out of curiosity, what happend at the mustang
lion game. I had Sweetwater as my favorite in d2 region 1.

Pretty simple really. Vernon is very solid, and brought their A game, and had a great game plan that they executed to perfection. Sweetwater on the other hand, had a terrible game plan, and ran it very poorly, and gave Vernon a very short field on several occasions with turnovers. They had a recipe to win, and we had a recipe for desaster, and thats just about how it went.

BobcatBenny
12-11-2006, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
Gimme Celina by 14

Is this the kiss of death? Or do you actually have to show up at the game? :thinking: