PDA

View Full Version : Columbia's Flannel to Tech?...

g$$
12-10-2006, 07:58 PM
Saw this on a website for recruiting - anyone know for sure?

Jared Flannel, West Columbia HS
Verbally committed to Texas Tech
Recruited as an Athlete (could play DB, RB, or slot receiver for Tech, I still think he is a college DB personally)

**hope the kid gets 100% healthy (stress fracture in foot) & does well in Lubbock if this is true; whatever the case he will play D1 football somewhere. Good luck to him.

maestro
12-10-2006, 08:48 PM
agree!!

kid can play.....

if tech is involved, ask raider red for a scoop.

carter08
12-10-2006, 09:04 PM
I was expecting Arizona

neck_06
12-10-2006, 09:36 PM
its official. i just got word from a pretty reliable source that he committed today and that Tech is going to use him as a RUNNING BACK and ONLY a RUNNING BACK.

congrats flannel.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

carter08
12-10-2006, 09:39 PM
I might have to make the trip up to Lubbock and see him play a few times

Glad he will be a RB
Arizona wanted him as a DB
I did not want to see him as a DB

awizzy
12-10-2006, 09:58 PM
coudnt happen to a better guy congats to flannel:clap: :clap: :clap:

carter08
12-10-2006, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by awizzy
coudnt happen to a better guy congats to flannel:clap: :clap: :clap:

I just looked at your sig
I hate you

awizzy
12-10-2006, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by carter08
I just looked at your sig
I hate you
what..oh yea ur a shawn bradley fan my bad i forgot...sike hook em

mac77
12-10-2006, 11:40 PM
If ya believe everything you read on PrepXtra, he's going to Arizona, Tech, Missouri, and TCU! I don't think Jared has made up his mind yet. He's smart enough to think about academics in addition to football. Feom the looks of the parade through the field house last week, he could go anywhere!

WildTexan
12-10-2006, 11:56 PM
Tech does not recruit kids as RBs and only RBs.....if the kid ends up better at DB he will be moved.....several of the top RBs they have recruited the last couple of years have been moved to CB and others will follow.....

the best of the best at getting and moving the ball end up in the slot at Tech.....the main thing that keeps a RB in the backfield at Tech is if they can block the blitz, so he'll have to prove up there to stay at RB.....

bulldogman06
12-10-2006, 11:59 PM
yea, I wouldnt really se a running back wanting to go to tech... they throw the ball so much its basically just a smaller, quicker lineman

neck_06
12-11-2006, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by bulldogman06
yea, I wouldnt really se a running back wanting to go to tech... they throw the ball so much its basically just a smaller, quicker lineman

Shannon Woods (Sophomore Running Back @ Texas Tech)

Rushing
133 attempts
817 yards
6.1 yards per carry
7 TD

receiving
72 receptions
553 yards
2 TD
7.7 yards per catch
6 receptions per game

2nd in the Big XII in all purpose yards by .3 yards (137.3 yards)

i don't know about you, but those stats look pretty good to me.

bulldogman06
12-11-2006, 12:17 AM
yea, but to be a running back, and to get rushing yards, tech would not be my first pick...

g$$
12-11-2006, 01:53 AM
Make it happen Flannel & best of luck to you. Hope you can get all the way healthy & show your stuff on the field.

Enjoyed watching you play ball in hs at WC (most of the time!).

g$$
12-11-2006, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by WildTexan
Tech does not recruit kids as RBs and only RBs.....if the kid ends up better at DB he will be moved.....several of the top RBs they have recruited the last couple of years have been moved to CB and others will follow.....

the best of the best at getting and moving the ball end up in the slot at Tech.....the main thing that keeps a RB in the backfield at Tech is if they can block the blitz, so he'll have to prove up there to stay at RB.....

I am going with Neck_06 on this one. No doubt he "could" move in time to another position, but evidently Tech did recruit him as a RB. An athlete like this kid is will be just fine wherever he plays if he can get 100% healthy.

neck_06
12-11-2006, 10:52 AM
ttt

mac77
12-11-2006, 01:26 PM
As good as Flannel is at RB, I'd bet his desire to become an engineer had a strong influence on his decision. Tech is a quality education and Jared is a smart guy.

carter08
12-11-2006, 04:20 PM
So Flannel IS going to Tech
None of the players I talked to today had heard anything, although they were Juniors, so they may not talk to Flannel much.

necks_c/09
12-14-2006, 06:09 PM
got word from a "coach" from WC that flannel did commit to tech but that arizona was coming down to try to convince him to go there instead.......said they might get him some reps at RB if he goes there.......

tigerpride_08
12-14-2006, 06:58 PM
i've heard a couple of schools myself but he's a great athlete and im sure he could play DB or RB in college...

TexanAlum_06
12-14-2006, 07:14 PM
Ok did Flannel not play against us last year or was he hurt or has he just gotten bigger, a lot faster and a lot stronger since last year... Because honestly I dont remember him in the playoff game... and if the RB im remembering is him he wasnt that impressive at all... im not trying to knock on him or pick a fight in any way Im just curios.... maybe it wasnt him last year????? I cant remember.

g$$
12-14-2006, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by TexanAlum_06
Ok did Flannel not play against us last year or was he hurt or has he just gotten bigger, a lot faster and a lot stronger since last year... Because honestly I dont remember him in the playoff game... and if the RB im remembering is him he wasnt that impressive at all... im not trying to knock on him or pick a fight in any way Im just curios.... maybe it wasnt him last year????? I cant remember.

I believe he tried to play against Wimberley & shut it down quickly. He was injured previously (maybe week before, foot stress fracture) & gave it a shot from what I remember. WC people help me out here...

Believe me, this kid is legit & you would know him. Wimberley was the better team & no disputing that, but Flannel is a fine athlete. He also excels at basketball, baseball, & track & the foot injury has cost him playing those for over a year now. I hear he may have more surgery to get that foot right. Good luck to him.

He was on every Top 100 List prior to the season, & some schools backed off due to injury concerns. Tech, Arizona, & others have stuck with him. Right now he is committed to Texas Tech.

TexanAlum_06
12-14-2006, 07:39 PM
Ok I think I got it straight now... I do remember him.. he played early in the game and did gain a few yards on us then when he went down I believe they put their starting LB in there #19... jerry woodard? and he was a much better LB then he was a RB. I think thats correct.... not 100% though..... anybody that knows for sure feel free to correct me.... well good luck to him... he is type of RB that fits into Tech's offense.

mac77
12-14-2006, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by TexanAlum_06

Flannel only played the first series on defense when he actually broke his foot. I think it was even the first play. Prior to that it was an severe strain that got worse in the game against Wimberley. Didn't play another down until the Sweeny game this year. Word is he'll finally get it fixed in early Jan.

A senior named Baugh ran some as well as Woodard. It was RB by committee after that.

TexanAlum_06
12-15-2006, 02:11 AM
Thanks Mac for clearing it up...... Baugh sounds familiar...... Yeah I remember watching west columbia on film and seeing Flannel and wondering how the heck we were going to contain him.... he was a good RB.... I imagine he only got better this year.....

pancho villa
12-15-2006, 08:10 AM
Flannel is going to be a Red Raider!
Congrats to a fine football player, super kid, and student. The boys at Tech are lucky to get such a great person and player.

necks_c/09
12-16-2006, 01:37 AM
correct!!!.....flannel only played on like the first 2 plays on D.....we never could get our running game going....so thats why yall never really got a taste of him.....he is an astounding athlete and deserves to play in college.....i am not saying we would have won or anything but it would have been a much colser game.....and u would have remembered him for sure.