PDA

View Full Version : Fairfield 82 Palestine 61

mwynn05
12-10-2006, 12:50 AM
Preview of district in the Fairfield Tournament. Palestine beat University, Waco High, and Kemp. Fairfield cruized beating Marlin, Athens, Crockett and Palestine all easily, 11-0 now. Fairfield also won the girls bracket and they are 13-1 but there one loss was to China Spring by like 45 so there not that good. Robinson was probably the best team in the tournament (girls) but they didn't play on friday because of the football team being in the state semi-finals

PHS Wildcats
12-10-2006, 01:28 AM
i wouldn't expect much from Palestine anytime soon, i didn't know they started playing:eek:

eagles_victory
12-10-2006, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by PHS Wildcats
i wouldn't expect much from Palestine anytime soon, i didn't know they started playing:eek: they have got a good squad greg is a good player im not sure what his last name is though

texasjeremy
12-11-2006, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by mwynn05
Preview of district in the Fairfield Tournament. Palestine beat University, Waco High, and Kemp. Fairfield cruized beating Marlin, Athens, Crockett and Palestine all easily, 11-0 now. Fairfield also won the girls bracket and they are 13-1 but there one loss was to China Spring by like 45 so there not that good. Robinson was probably the best team in the tournament (girls) but they didn't play on friday because of the football team being in the state semi-finals

Actually, in the first round Palestine beat La Vega, not University.

Palestine 55 La Vega 52
Palestine beat Waco High by about 15
Palestine 49 Kemp 42 (OT)
Fairfield 80 Palestine 61

In the finals, Palestine had a height advantage and were trying to go inside (and led for much of the 1st quarter), but once they realized they were not going to get any calls under the basket, they settled for jumpshots which was a killer. Fairfield was up by about 25 after 3, though Palestine went on a run in the 4th and cut it to 11 a couple of times, but still ended up falling by 19.

eagles_victory
12-11-2006, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by texasjeremy

Palestine 55 La Vega 52

In the finals, Palestine had a height advantage and were trying to go inside (and led for much of the 1st quarter), but once they realized they were not going to get any calls under the basket, they settled for jumpshots which was a killer. Fairfield was up by about 25 after 3, though Palestine went on a run in the 4th and cut it to 11 a couple of times, but still ended up falling by 19. i dont think calls had much to do with it if Palestine pressed they got torched if they played half court D they got torched when Fairfield turned it on Palestine was left behind. But with that being said Palestine made a nice 4th quarter come back. It should be a good battle once district play starts

Fotbol
12-11-2006, 11:27 AM
What was the Marlin Fairfield score??

mwynn05
12-11-2006, 11:28 AM

Palestine 55 La Vega 52

In the finals, Palestine had a height advantage and were trying to go inside (and led for much of the 1st quarter), but once they realized they were not going to get any calls under the basket, they settled for jumpshots which was a killer. Fairfield was up by about 25 after 3, though Palestine went on a run in the 4th and cut it to 11 a couple of times, but still ended up falling by 19. It was 82 that last bucket counted...and the refs were consistent about that. Leave it to texas jeremy to not give someone else any credit when Palestine loses...It wasn't close Palestine got blown out...oh and Fairfield's best all around player didn't play

eagles_victory
12-11-2006, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Fotbol
What was the Marlin Fairfield score?? Fairfield won by like 20

mwynn05
12-11-2006, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Fairfield won by like 20 I never even heard a score but i dont think it was close...I did see Marlin play this year and they're gonna be down this year unless the really put it together

Fotbol
12-11-2006, 11:49 AM
IN 2A BAsketball is king, I mean Kountze loss last year in 2A , and that's saying alot.

texasjeremy
12-11-2006, 11:55 AM
It was 82 that last bucket counted...and the refs were consistent about that. Leave it to texas jeremy to not give someone else any credit when Palestine loses...It wasn't close Palestine got blown out...oh and Fairfield's best all around player didn't play

Not trying to take credit away, I was pretty sure the last basket got waved off, since it was after the buzzer, not that it matter much though. Fairfield is a very very good team, always pressing on defense and always attacking the basket on offense. In the finals, the 1st quarter was even, Palestine won the 4th quarter, but during that 2nd and 3rd quarter it appeared Fairfield could not miss, basket after basket. Though Fairfield saved their best game for the finals, they basically had runs like that all tournament, when they get hot and get a few steals, then the other team looks up and is down 20 and not sure how it happened.

mwynn05
12-11-2006, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Fotbol
IN 2A BAsketball is king, I mean Kountze loss last year in 2A , and that's saying alot. Kountze lost to Ft. Worth Christian this weekend and guess who Fairfield plays in the first game of Whataburger

mwynn05
12-11-2006, 12:00 PM
Not trying to take credit away, I was pretty sure the last basket got waved off, since it was after the buzzer, not that it matter much though. Fairfield is a very very good team, always pressing on defense and always attacking the basket on offense. In the finals, the 1st quarter was even, Palestine won the 4th quarter, but during that 2nd and 3rd quarter it appeared Fairfield could not miss, basket after basket. Though Fairfield saved their best game for the finals, they basically had runs like that all tournament, when they get hot and get a few steals, then the other team looks up and is down 20 and not sure how it happened. They've always done that 2nd qtr was 25-8......been getting KILLED on the boards...if it werent for 2nd chance points that game really would have been ugly in the 3rd maybe that will change when Alfraid gets back.

texasjeremy
12-11-2006, 12:41 PM
They've always done that 2nd qtr was 25-8......been getting KILLED on the boards...if it werent for 2nd chance points that game really would have been ugly in the 3rd maybe that will change when Alfraid gets back.

Most years that is Palestine's game, they don't usually have the best basketball players, but usually they do have the best all around athletes, they try to out run, out jump and out rebound the other team. Problem is, Fairfield's players are good athletes AND outstanding basketball players. Palestine had a bigger more physical team, which allows them to dominate the boards, problem is for a long stretch, Fairfield never seemed to miss, so there were no rebounds to be had. I think Fairfield has a very legit shot at being in Austin at the end of the year.

mwynn05
12-11-2006, 12:49 PM
Most years that is Palestine's game, they don't usually have the best basketball players, but usually they do have the best all around athletes, they try to out run, out jump and out rebound the other team. Problem is, Fairfield's players are good athletes AND outstanding basketball players. Palestine had a bigger more physical team, which allows them to dominate the boards, problem is for a long stretch, Fairfield never seemed to miss, so there were no rebounds to be had. I think Fairfield has a very legit shot at being in Austin at the end of the year. I hope so another team that impressed me this weekend was Crockett there good this year. They can go a few rounds deep Fairfield goes to Crockett this week Fairfields other big man Hartson(no varsity experience) should be back and Manning is going to the dr. this week and told me he hopes to be released. Fairfield has Heane tomorrow Crockett on Friday and then they go to the Whataburger tournament where they play Ft. Worht Christian then either Axtell or Ponder.

texasjeremy
12-11-2006, 02:26 PM
I hope so another team that impressed me this weekend was Crockett there good this year. They can go a few rounds deep Fairfield goes to Crockett this week Fairfields other big man Hartson(no varsity experience) should be back and Manning is going to the dr. this week and told me he hopes to be released. Fairfield has Heane tomorrow Crockett on Friday and then they go to the Whataburger tournament where they play Ft. Worht Christian then either Axtell or Ponder.

Agreed on Crockett, that #5 was outstanding. Another team that shocked the hell outta me was Kemp, when they walk on the floor, they look like a junior high team, but they are good ball handlers and can shoot the lights out. Did you see that kid from Kemp make the shot at the 3rd quarter buzzer from under his own basket (length of the floor) in the semifinals game against Palestine (which tied the game). He rebounded it with 1 sec left, turned and threw it like a baseball to the other end, nothing but net. Another interesting thing about the tournament, was Ted Nugent being there when Waco High played.

mwynn05
12-11-2006, 03:05 PM
Agreed on Crockett, that #5 was outstanding. Another team that shocked the hell outta me was Kemp, when they walk on the floor, they look like a junior high team, but they are good ball handlers and can shoot the lights out. Did you see that kid from Kemp make the shot at the 3rd quarter buzzer from under his own basket (length of the floor) in the semifinals game against Palestine (which tied the game). He rebounded it with 1 sec left, turned and threw it like a baseball to the other end, nothing but net. Another interesting thing about the tournament, was Ted Nugent being there when Waco High played. I didn't see the shot but I heard about it I also heard about Ted Nugent. You say Kemp is good, but if you had only saw them Thursday you wouldn't say that they only beat the Fairfield JV by 2 but you know how it is when a varsity plays a JV its hard to get up for those game. That lil asian kid kemp has is good he has been playin varsity all 4 years from what i understand i know he was stating when I was a Sr. so he would have been a sophomore then. He also won the scholarship that is given away he has a 4.1 is ranked 5th in his class lettered all 4 years in basketball. He was born here and then went to the Phillipenes, then moved back to America by himself when he was 9....The tournament would have been a lot more stacked if a lot of teams werent playing football still. Mart would have been there and Damian Davis is a beast, Robinson would have been there and they wouldn't have been bad and I think Waco high has to have some players still in football because they just weren't that good

texasjeremy
12-11-2006, 03:11 PM
Yeah, I agree that the tournament would have been better, but of course if Robinson wasn't still playing football, Palestine would be, so thats a wash, but Mart would have been a much better addition than McLennan Co Juviniles or Fairfield JV. Tournament was not run quite as good as last year, not paying attention to details is a killer, the big one was not updating the bracket on the wall (the boys one was updates at the end of the day on thursday, but not again the entire tournament), makes it tough to figure out who is playing who and where (with that tricked up bracket and not seeing all the games to know who beat who).

mwynn05
12-11-2006, 03:20 PM
Yeah, I agree that the tournament would have been better, but of course if Robinson wasn't still playing football, Palestine would be, so thats a wash, but Mart would have been a much better addition than McLennan Co Juviniles or Fairfield JV. Tournament was not run quite as good as last year, not paying attention to details is a killer, the big one was not updating the bracket on the wall (the boys one was updates at the end of the day on thursday, but not again the entire tournament), makes it tough to figure out who is playing who and where (with that tricked up bracket and not seeing all the games to know who beat who). Yeah, that could be big to some but not for me because I know everyone and talked to coach worley quite a bit

texasjeremy
12-11-2006, 03:25 PM
Yeah, that could be big to some but not for me because I know everyone and talked to coach worley quite a bit

It would have probably been easier to update the bracket, rather than coach worley going around telling everyone who won, who lost, and where/when they are playing next. Maybe they should turn it back over to the Chamber of Commerce. Anyway, Fairfield needs to do their best to keep Worley is appears to be a very good coach, make sure he doesn't jump to greener pastures, especially with a major rebuilding project starting next year.

mwynn05
12-11-2006, 03:30 PM
It would have probably been easier to update the bracket, rather than coach worley going around telling everyone who won, who lost, and where/when they are playing next. Maybe they should turn it back over to the Chamber of Commerce. Anyway, Fairfield needs to do their best to keep Worley is appears to be a very good coach, make sure he doesn't jump to greener pastures, especially with a major rebuilding project starting next year. Yeah, I know lol but I was gonna talk to him any way so it doesnt matter(for me). I hope he moves on (kind of) for him because I don't want the people in Fairfield to screw him over

PHS Wildcats
12-11-2006, 03:50 PM
This is Fairfield's district, end of story, all I know is that my little brother plays on the team and he said that PHS will be ok, but of the guys on them team are playing because there's nothing else to do, not because the love basketball. They won't make the playoffs.

texasjeremy
12-11-2006, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by PHS Wildcats
This is Fairfield's district, end of story, all I know is that my little brother plays on the team and he said that PHS will be ok, but of the guys on them team are playing because there's nothing else to do, not because the love basketball. They won't make the playoffs.

I saw them play 4 games this weekend, and they looked pretty solid. They aren't gonna beat Fairfield this year (next year will be a different story), but it would not be a stretch to think they could finish 2nd or 3rd in the district.

eagles_victory
12-11-2006, 03:56 PM
Palestine had a very classy squad from what I saw and they played with fire like they loved the game from what I saw. I think PHS will make the playoffs with Mexia not looking too strong in what I saw from them. My prediction is 1. Fairfield 2. Madisonville 3. Palestine