PDA

View Full Version : Vernon/Greenwood Postgame Thoughts

GWOOD
12-09-2006, 09:58 PM
Deep down I was really hoping that this Vernon team with 5 losses just had a little football magic going for them, catching Sweetwater and Snyder thinking ahead, and that it was about time for the magic to run out.

But Vernon is the real deal. Whiteside is a great back but Vernon did a lot of things well. Their defense is underrated. They would not let Washington get outside. Their linebackers are quick. We threw everything we had at them today, and did it well, and only got 19 points out it.

I had told my brother that I thought we had to score at least 28 points to win this game. 28 would have been just right.

Greenwood played well today and played hard. We just ran into a very good team.

Can someone please explain to me what has changed about Vernon to change them from a mediocre team during the season to a very good football team in the playoffs?

GreenMonster
12-09-2006, 10:13 PM
My personal opinion (not worth much) is that it's the offensive coordinator. He wasn't around much during the season. His son is a Senior at Electra HS (1A) and was their QB. He's been at every play-off game though since Electra and Vernon have somehow managed to schedule games on different nights. Electra got knocked out of the playoffs yesterday so he will be at any remaining games the Lions play. Vernon runs the Wing T offense and you really need to know the ins and outs of that offense to run it well. You have the ability to dictate what the defense will do to you if you are good at it. The kids still have to execute but play calling is vital in that offense. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the Vernon coaches did a bad job calling the plays in the absence of the offensive coordinator, he's just better at it. More experience and years upon years of film study, game planning, and game time play calling. The defense has been really really good all year. I think the offensive coordinator is the wild card for this team. He's got that offense just hammering on people right now. Plus Whiteside is a BEAST and they are giving it to him over and over and over again. :D

JasonTX
12-09-2006, 10:19 PM
The 2 games I seen, it was the head coach who was calling the plays. My sources have told me that early in the season the OC was calling the plays, but then the head coach took over the play calling about half way through the season. It was about that time when they started clicking.

GreenMonster
12-09-2006, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by JasonTX
The 2 games I seen, it was the head coach who was calling the plays. My sources have told me that early in the season the OC was calling the plays, but then the head coach took over the play calling about half way through the season. It was about that time when they started clicking. It would have been hard for the OC to call plays from the Electra stands. He went to watch his kid play all season. Until playoff time Electra and Vernon played on the same nights. I do admit though that Vernon really started clicking in the Week 10 Iowa Park game while the OC was not there. Coaches stated after the game that it was the best game the kids had played all year to that point.

Chris Hart
12-09-2006, 10:27 PM
How in the world can an OC keep his job if he doesn't even show up for his team's games? That just don't make any sense to me...

VERNONLION#1
12-09-2006, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
It would have been hard for the OC to call plays from the Electra stands. He went to watch his kid play all season. Until playoff time Electra and Vernon played on the same nights. I do admit though that Vernon really started clicking in the Week 10 Iowa Park game while the OC was not there. Coaches stated after the game that it was the best game the kids had played all year to that point.

Greenmonster you and everyone else in V-town who has been following these Lions have noticed that when the coach you are referring to was not present we didn't do well. Now that he has been with us on nights that Electra wasn't playing we have been clicking. You are right on the money on this one.

kepdawg
12-09-2006, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Chris Hart
How in the world can an OC keep his job if he doesn't even show up for his team's games? That just don't make any sense to me...

Exactly! I thought I was somehow misreading some of the posts! :confused:

VERNONLION#1
12-09-2006, 10:31 PM

This is true and you are not misreading anything.

GreenMonster
12-09-2006, 10:45 PM
How in the world can an OC keep his job if he doesn't even show up for his team's games? That just don't make any sense to me... That is the agreement he has with the AD. Kid is a Senior though and he played his last game Friday night. I'm sure the arrangements will be different next season. It may be unconventional but you have to hand it to Coach Hall for allowing a very key member of his staff to go watch his son play on Friday nights. I've heard a lot of bad about Hall out of some of the Vernon faithful but the guy seems like a good person to work for.

carter08
12-09-2006, 10:48 PM
Vernon will lose next week

Vernon is overrated

Chris Hart
12-09-2006, 10:54 PM
That is the agreement he has with the AD. Kid is a Senior though and he played his last game Friday night. I'm sure the arrangements will be different next season. It may be unconventional but you have to hand it to Coach Hall for allowing a very key member of his staff to go watch his son play on Friday nights. I've heard a lot of bad about Hall out of some of the Vernon faithful but the guy seems like a good person to work for. He sounds like one heck of a person to work for, lol. But, didn't Vernon just squeak into the playoffs? Do you think if the OC had been there every week, that Vernon would've qualified for the playoffs more easily? i know it has worked out for them, but what if that would've cost them a playoff berth? I'm glad for them that it has worked out, it just struck me as very odd a coach putting watching his son play ball in front of his team and job in a way

LH Panther Mom
12-09-2006, 10:56 PM
Congratulations to the Rangers on a GREAT season and to the Lions for the win.

GreenMonster
12-09-2006, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by carter08
Vernon will lose next week

Vernon is overrated Carter, you kill me. How can you say that never having watched them play a single snap. Region I was pretty solid this year in DII. Not only that but Vernon beat up people on the way. The scores weren't lopsided but the opponent was physically beaten, pounded. Vernon plays a very physical brand of football. They don't make big mistakes like turnovers or stupid penalties. The defense is good, fast to the football, and they arrive angry. The offense is slow, methodical, ground churning, and clock killing. There's nothing fancy about them to over-rate. Crap, they've lost 5 games! If anything the Lions have been under-rated. I think GWOOD stated it best when he said that after looking at their record he was hoping the Lions just had some kind of play-off magic working for them but they didn't. He had them under-rated in his own mind. I'm sorry but to say that Vernon is over-rated is ludacrous.

carter08
12-09-2006, 11:04 PM
Carter, you kill me. How can you say that never having watched them play a single snap. Region I was pretty solid this year in DII. Not only that but Vernon beat up people on the way. The scores weren't lopsided but the opponent was physically beaten, pounded. Vernon plays a very physical brand of football. They don't make big mistakes like turnovers or stupid penalties. The defense is good, fast to the football, and they arrive angry. The offense is slow, methodical, ground churning, and clock killing. There's nothing fancy about them to over-rate. Crap, they've lost 5 games! If anything the Lions have been under-rated. I think GWOOD stated it best when he said that after looking at their record he was hoping the Lions just had some kind of play-off magic working for them but they didn't. He had them under-rated in his own mind. I'm sorry but to say that Vernon is over-rated is ludacrous.

dude
i was only being a carter
don't take it seriously

GreenMonster
12-09-2006, 11:04 PM
He sounds like one heck of a person to work for, lol. But, didn't Vernon just squeak into the playoffs? Do you think if the OC had been there every week, that Vernon would've qualified for the playoffs more easily? i know it has worked out for them, but what if that would've cost them a playoff berth? I'm glad for them that it has worked out, it just struck me as very odd a coach putting watching his son play ball in front of his team and job in a way Chris, would your boss let you off to go watch your son play ball? I'd hope so. There is too much importance placed on HS football. I think there should be room to put your family first. Besides, his #1 job isn't football it's teacher. He never missed any classroom time.

kepdawg
12-09-2006, 11:06 PM
This is right up there as one of the craziest things I've ever heard regarding high school football! Not saying it's right or wrong. It just seems real crazy!

wildstangs
12-09-2006, 11:07 PM
That was an awesome deal for the OC. Not many people would allow that - Hats off too Coach Hall. Wish his son would have been playing the day Sweetwater played Vernon - maybe they wouldn't have embarassed us quite as bad.

Wonder why the boy didn't want to play at Vernon. Was his dad previously at Electra?

VERNONLION#1
12-09-2006, 11:09 PM
Carter, you kill me. How can you say that never having watched them play a single snap. Region I was pretty solid this year in DII. Not only that but Vernon beat up people on the way. The scores weren't lopsided but the opponent was physically beaten, pounded. Vernon plays a very physical brand of football. They don't make big mistakes like turnovers or stupid penalties. The defense is good, fast to the football, and they arrive angry. The offense is slow, methodical, ground churning, and clock killing. There's nothing fancy about them to over-rate. Crap, they've lost 5 games! If anything the Lions have been under-rated. I think GWOOD stated it best when he said that after looking at their record he was hoping the Lions just had some kind of play-off magic working for them but they didn't. He had them under-rated in his own mind. I'm sorry but to say that Vernon is over-rated is ludacrous.

You go Greenmonster.:clap:

GreenMonster
12-09-2006, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs

Wonder why the boy didn't want to play at Vernon. Was his dad previously at Electra? The Vernon OC was the long time AD at Electra. Almost 20 years. Kid grew up going to school with those kids. Had been their QB since grade school. Wanted to stay with them. So the Father took an assistant job 20 miles down 287 to allow his son to finish HS with his friends.

Chris Hart
12-09-2006, 11:13 PM
Chris, would your boss let you off to go watch your son play ball? I'd hope so. There is too much importance placed on HS football. I think there should be room to put your family first. Besides, his #1 job isn't football it's teacher. He never missed any classroom time. GreenMonster, I'm not saying i disagree with it at all, i think it's great. But, it's like you said, high school football is HUGE and I wouldn't think many ADs would allow it. Maybe pre-district, but not during an intense battle for a playoff spot anyway...

GreenMonster
12-09-2006, 11:19 PM
GreenMonster, I'm not saying i disagree with it at all, i think it's great. But, it's like you said, high school football is HUGE and I wouldn't think many ADs would allow it. Maybe pre-district, but not during an intense battle for a playoff spot anyway... There is a LOT of class eminating from Vernon right now. Coach Hall allowing that is classy. The OC taking a lesser job than what he is capable of to allow his son to play ball with his buddies is classy. It is unconventional in Texas HS football to put family first but these guys got it right. What's sad is that there are AD's out there that wouldn't have hired him if his son didn't come with. Coach Hall not only hired him but gave his blessings to go watch him play elsewhere. Pretty powerful statement about what kind of man Keith Hall is. :clap:

Flatlander
12-10-2006, 12:47 AM
As a father of one of the Ranger players ,just let me say congratulations and good luck To Vernon next week. They did an outstanding job on both sides of the ball today.Those kids play hard.
And to all those Ranger players. We are so proud of the run you made this year. Keep your heads held high.

Ranger Mom
12-10-2006, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by Flatlander
As a father of one of the Ranger players ,just let me say congratulations and good luck To Vernon next week. They did an outstanding job on both sides of the ball today.Those kids play hard.
And to all those Ranger players. We are so proud of the run you made this year. Keep your heads held high.

Amen and Amen!!!!

Dominicfrank
12-10-2006, 01:15 AM
Greenwood players, You had us scared. You beat up a dang good GRaham team that always plays us tough. Keep your heads up, I hope you just lost to the State champs! We would feel honored if you cheered for us next week and hopefully the next, we are going to need it big time! Again, great game, you were fearless!

On Vernon's record. We lost two district games. Of the three teams that made it Graham went three deep, hirschi gave Canyon all it could handle who then went on to beat Wylie, and now Vernon that is in the Semi's. We played Mineral Wells to double overtime, Decatur to 14-10, and lost ot the best private school in its class. Add a loss to Graham and a overtime four quater lasp to burkburnet and you get a hard earned 5 loses. They made us stronger but none of them were lay downs. Vernon is built on tradition and pride. Our town lives and dies with this football team. So dont be suprised that we came this far, we did a year or so ago as well. We come from the HARDEST district in the state as you can tell from our teams success on both sides. We have two former 4A teams and three already storied programs. One thing is for sure, Celina better fear the Lions or they will get the same fate others did when looked past us.

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-10-2006, 01:16 AM
Another great game today. Greenwood came to play and Vernon had to earn it. Just like last week it was another tough game. Of course I guess they all are at this point.

Some game notes:
#17 for Greenwood had some great hands. I don't think he dropped a ball the entire game.

I'm glad we made that tackle just before the half. That was huge.

Whiteside is a load. Very hard runner and quick for 225 pounds. The o-line did a great job blocking...again.

Vernon's defense held a very good team to 19 points. Hats off to the defense.

Greenwood had some good play calling. #11 was a load to bring down. He ran with authority.

Vernon had a very large crowd at the game today.

In the past 4 years Vernon has won the region twice. Great playoff record.

For the last time Vernon did not just sqeek into the playoffs. They were the second seed behind Graham. 2 of their losses were in overtime. They lost to Graham a district foe by 7. (Graham just exeited the playoffs last week). We lost to Decatur by 5 (I believe), & we lost to Midland Christian in the second week (I believe they are playing for a state championship in TAPPS next week).

The Lions haven't received much hype or notice until they beat Sweetwater. Snyder was a great team and so was Greenwood. (I didn't see the Perryton game). The Lions have won against some very tough competition.

They face another great challenge next week. Can't wait!

Ranger Mom
12-10-2006, 01:58 AM
I am still freaking out about the bird incident!! Did anyone besides me and StangGirl2007 see that??

For those of you who didn't....there was a bird that flew/fell onto the field on the 20 yard line (opposite of the direction we were playing). Some "good" samaritan put on his gloves and walked out there and got it, to the cheers of the Greenwood crowd.

I guess the bird must have been in pretty bad shape (he was really struggling)...so...the guy walked to the back of the endzone....and the next thing I knew, I saw feathers flying. He laid the bird down and then proceeded to kick the birds head, that he just ripped off, up into the air.

HE RIPPED THE BIRDS HEAD OFF!!

I was FREAKING OUT!!!!! Felt like I was at an Ozzy Osbourne concert!!!:D :D

stangGirl2007
12-10-2006, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I am still freaking out about the bird incident!! Did anyone besides me and StangGirl2007 see that??

For those of you who didn't....there was a bird that flew/fell onto the field on the 20 yard line (opposite of the direction we were playing). Some "good" samaritan put on his gloves and walked out there and got it, to the cheers of the Greenwood crowd.

I guess the bird must have been in pretty bad shape (he was really struggling)...so...the guy walked to the back of the endzone....and the next thing I knew, I saw feathers flying. He laid the bird down and then proceeded to kick the birds head, that he just ripped off, up into the air.

HE RIPPED THE BIRDS HEAD OFF!!

I was FREAKING OUT!!!!! Felt like I was at an Ozzy Osbourne concert!!!:D :D

OMG THAT POOR BIRD!:eek:

Yeah they wouldn't of grabbed it if it wasn't for you yelling " get the bird.. GET THE BIRD":p . That was pretty stange though.. how he just ripped the head of and left it all in the gutter. I can still see the head flying in the air and the look on your face... priceless!;)

carter08
12-10-2006, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by stangGirl2007
OMG THAT POOR BIRD!:eek:

Yeah they wouldn't of grabbed it if it wasn't for you yelling " get the bird.. GET THE BIRD":p . That was pretty stange though.. how he just ripped the head of and left it all in the gutter. I can still see the head flying in the air and the look on your face... priceless!;)

Ae you sure you 2 weren't sharing drug inspired hallucinations

Ranger Mom
12-10-2006, 02:13 AM

LOL! NO!!!

The people sitting behind us and the kids sitting on the other side of me all saw it too!!

I just kept watching him, because I was wondering where he was gonna put it...I NEVER expected him to tear his head off though!!:eek: :eek:

stangGirl2007
12-10-2006, 02:19 AM

Darn those special brownies!:cool::thumbsup:

Ranger Mom
12-10-2006, 02:21 AM
Darn those special brownies!:cool:

No no no!! We didn't eat those until AFTER the game!!

Did you dip into them early??

I feel bad, I totally hijacked this thread!!

Sorry GWOOD, (but you know how I am)!:p

football4life
12-10-2006, 02:33 AM
LOL! NO!!!

The people sitting behind us and the kids sitting on the other side of me all saw it too!!

I just kept watching him, because I was wondering where he was gonna put it...I NEVER expected him to tear his head off though!!:eek: :eek:

i saw it, me and the guy i was sittin with saw him go out there, and we both immediately said, "that bird's about to lose it's head" it was the right thing to do.

Ranger Mom
12-10-2006, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by football4life
i saw it, me and the guy i was sittin with saw him go out there, and we both immediately said, "that bird's about to lose it's head" it was the right thing to do.

At least he suffered a quick death...but man..it was BRUTAL to see!!

stangGirl2007
12-10-2006, 02:41 AM
At least he suffered a quick death...but man..it was BRUTAL to see!!

You got that right! :eek: One little pull and that birdie was a GONE

Stownhorse
12-10-2006, 02:50 AM
You got that right! :eek: One little pull and that birdie was a GONE

I saw that birds last flight.....I saw it fluttering behind the south field goal post, next thing I knew the bird just went straight down and KAPOW on the cement, I told sweetwater07 and we were just watchin it and laughin at the little kids that were messin with it lol...then about 5 min. later he was on the field haha

TigerPride
12-10-2006, 03:41 AM
nm

Snyder_TigerFan
12-10-2006, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by GWOOD
Deep down I was really hoping that this Vernon team with 5 losses just had a little football magic going for them, catching Sweetwater and Snyder thinking ahead, and that it was about time for the magic to run out.

Funny...I was thinking the exact same thing last week.

Congrats to Vernon on the win. I have read this thread and I think Vernon is a class program; family is #1 in my book, and Vernon has respected that and in the long run, it has paid off. I wish Vernon the best of luck next week. This Snyder fan will SURE be pulling for you!! Keep up the hard work!

GWOOD
12-10-2006, 09:19 AM
(With apologies to all the other Vernon posters--I intend to have a lot of fun with this one)

D-Frank,

Remember the post you made last week when you called out the Greenwood QB for his "cocky" and "arrogant" comment of "we knew they could not stop us." I think you said something like "I hope Greenwood gets their butts beat bad." For some reason, you were highly offended by his comment.

It is my pleasure to post this comment by Vernon's coach

"We knew that we could run against Greenwood...", Vernon coach Keith Hall said."

Now, I took that statement out of context, like you did last week, so that it sounds a little more cocky than in was meant. That statement is not offensive to me in the least, but if you are consistent, that statement should offend you just as much as the GW QB's statement of last week. Do you care to call out your coach like you did Mr. Washington last week?

Ha. Ha. Made my morning to see that.

Oh, and here's the link for the Greenwood/Vernon article.

Greenwood/Vernon article (http://www.mywesttexas.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17573315&BRD=2288&PAG=461&dept_id=475011&rfi=6)

GWOOD
12-10-2006, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2

Some game notes:
#17 for Greenwood had some great hands. I don't think he dropped a ball the entire game.

I

Z, that kid did do a good job yesterday. Greenwood has been very fortunate this year to have 3 guys with very good hands. #17 has been overshadowed this year by #20 and #8, who have made great catches all year and have been the favorite targets of Washington.

#17 has not caught more than 2 passes in a game all year long but many of us have seen him do that since Jr. High. When #20 got hurt at the end of the 1st half, he just got an opportunity to step up and prove himself.

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-10-2006, 09:39 AM
That was a good article & a great point made by GWOOD.

Yes you guys had some very good receivers. Not enough can be said about a kid that can catch the ball consistently. It just seemed like everytime we got the Rangers in a 3rd and long #17 (I'm sorry I don't remember his name) was making first downs on a catch. Washington also threw the ball well except for that screen play which took way to long to develop. I saw that one all the way. That was a critical play for Greenwood. And the stop at the 1 yard line just before half. Both of those were huge.

Also both defenses used the bend but dont break theory in the second half. Great defensive plays in the red zone.

It was a very exciting game.

I hope that we can give Celina a good game Saturday.

rangerdad09
12-10-2006, 06:45 PM
congratulations to greenwood on a great season, you guys made us proud.

p.s: thought the dove incident was a classic

Ranger Mom
12-10-2006, 06:46 PM
Where are all the Ranger Dad's coming from all the sudden?

Where have yall been all season??

Good to have some more on board.....now me and GWOOD can have some company!!:D :D