PDA

View Full Version : Is Everman brave enough to go man to man on Shipley

horndawg
12-09-2002, 07:47 PM
I really dont think they will after seeing the Jasper game. Burnet proved Sat. they have other weapons if they double cover Shipley.

sinton66
12-09-2002, 07:58 PM
Trust me on this, Everman doesn't need to double cover anyone. Any one of there DB's can cover anyone else.

everman_guy
12-09-2002, 07:59 PM
Everman never goes 1 on 1 with any receiver. The ran hybird man-zone, and they will put the game in the hand of their lineman, and that is where the game will be won.

horndawg
12-09-2002, 08:45 PM
Sinton66..... That's what Jasper thought too. I hope they do run a zone, even better.

Chris Hart
12-10-2002, 12:14 AM
Everman will have something special for Shipley, if they don't, they need to fire the coach. If Shipley gets one on one coverage, I don't care who it is, Shipley wins that battle 9 out of 10 times, and Everman is no different. Trust me their coaches know all about Jordan Shipley.

Matthew328
12-10-2002, 01:35 AM
Everman has some good DB's...Carvel Williams and Johnathan Harrell are both excellent DB's..Harrell is a D-1 lock and Williams is one of the better cover corners in DFW.....the key will be Everman's D Line and can they get to McGee...if they can then Everman will be successful..doesn't matter how good the DB's are if you can't get to the QB eventually you'll get picked apart..Everman has a great D-Line with all 4 potential all-state candidates..Robert Jackson may be the quickest DE in the state..the 2 tackles Jones and Darden are tough in the middle and Nick Clark is an awesome combo of size and speed...I know Burnet has a great O-Line...this matchup will decide the game in my opinion..

SintonFan
12-10-2002, 01:50 AM
Believe me, those guys from Everman are pretty good too. They do have a great defense. Lots of talent at all positions. I think they can definitely slow Burnet.

Chris Hart
12-10-2002, 02:58 AM
Guys, I know Everman has as much talent and probably more than any team in the state. I am just saying that Burnet relishes the oppurtunity of Shipley one on one. I know Everman has some great defensive backs also, but I am just saying in one on one Jordan usually wins that battle(McGee's accuracy is part of that). I agree with Matthew, that this game will be decided in the trenches. Can Everman pressure McGee and contain Miller, and can Burnet's defense slow the Everman running game. This will truly be a WAR.

dunn78
12-10-2002, 03:50 AM
Tuesday, September 5, 2000

High School Football Player of The Week

Impressive high school debut for Rotan’s Shipley

By Mark Wilson
Reporter-News Staff Writer

It was probably going to happen sooner or later for Jordan Shipley. But no one expected it to happen quite this soon.

Shipley, the freshman son of Rotan head football coach Bob Shipley, had an impressive varsity debut Friday night in the Yellowhammers’ season-opening 38-7 victory at Knox City. He scored four touchdowns, including punt returns of 62, 65 and 50 yards while racking up 459 all-purpose yards.

While playing tailback in the first half, Shipley gained 123 yards on 16 carries, and scored a touchdown on a 44-yard run. In the second half, after moving to wide receiver, Shipley had two pass receptions for 54 yards.

Just for fun, he also added five extra point kicks, plus a 35-yard field goal, giving him 32 of the team’s 38 points. That performance made Shipley the Abilene Reporter-News’ first Big Country offensive player of the week for the 2000 season.

“It was pretty exciting,’’ said Jordan, who had the highest overall grade-point average in his eighth-grade class last year, and will also try to squeeze in basketball, baseball, golf, track and possibly tennis in his freshman year. “Coming into the season, I didn’t know I was going to be on the varsity. (Coach Shipley) was talking about putting me on the JV unless I showed them something.’’

He did, indeed.

“He’s got great acceleration and quickness. He’s real quick,’’ Coach Shipley said. “He’s got good speed and vision. On the punt returns, obviously he had some guys doing some blocking for him.

“Jordan has grown up always trying to find a sandlot game of football. Just growing up with a football in his hands helps kids as they grow older.’’

The 5-10, 145-pound Jordan has been an outstanding golfer and soccer player for years, and was the starting quarterback for Rotan’s eighth grade football team last year. His father played fullback for four years at Abilene Christian University, and there are other examples of good athletic ability in the family:

-- One of Jordan’s cousins is Shay Ratliff, who was an outstanding running back for Brownwood and is now in the ACU football program.

-- Another cousin, Rob Shipley, is a standout quarterback for Class 3A Lindale, where he threw 27 touchdown passes last season and has more than 3,200 career passing yards. Rob’s father, Ben (Bob’s brother) also played at ACU.

-- Bob’s younger brother, Stephen, played at Texas Christian in the late 1980s and early ’90s, and ranks as the second-leading receiver in Horned Frog history.

Jordan had shown athletic ability of his own, particularly in soccer and golf.

Coach Shipley, a former ACU assistant coach who lived in Abilene 11 years before moving to Rotan for his first season as a head coach in 1999 (Jordan was the quarterback for the Franklin Middle School football team in Abilene), said his son was particularly strong in soccer.

Jordan’s former team of 12-13-year-olds went to a soccer tournament in Dallas, and he scored 20 goals in five games.

In golf, Jordan led a junior PGA event at Bear Creek in Dallas last summer after the first round. Also last summer, he won a junior event at Shady Oaks.

“He’s excelled at everything he’s done growing up,’’ Coach Shipley said.

Even so, it seemed that his time in the varsity football spotlight would have to wait.

The Yellowhammers, who were 8-3 last season, appeared to have all the necessary offensive ingredients going into this season. Rode Morrow, a senior, was already penciled in by Coach Shipley at quarterback. D.J. Alvarado and Jason Powell rushed for more than 1,000 yards each, and Powell was going to switch to receiver this year.

But Powell, who will be bidding for a fourth state triple jump championship in the spring, elected not to play football this season as he focuses on gaining a college scholarship in track.

Alvarado was involved in a car rollover accident just last Sunday, and survived with only internal injuries and a sore back since he was wearing his seat belt. So he didn’t enter the Knox City game until the second half, giving Shipley a chance at running back.

“I thought he would be able to help us somewhere this year,’’ Coach Shipley said. “I wasn’t sure where. Jordan had played tailback in a scrimmage. We knew he could do some stuff because he had shown us something in the scrimmage. We just didn’t have any idea he would do it this soon

oldcat1978
12-10-2002, 05:41 PM
If Burnet sticks with quick passes to Shipley then they may work. They will have quite a bit of difficulty if they try to go downfield. The Everman DBs close faster than any HS team I have seen in a long time. In the games I have seen, WRs that seemed wide open as the QB throws become pics because of the speed of the DBs, especially Harrell, who is legit D1.

Sinton_Playa 70
12-10-2002, 08:37 PM
Sinton66 is rite!! Everman doesn't need to double cover anyone...the DB's from Everman are awesome...if they can handle an athlete such as Marcus Charles than they can hold anyone. This is gonna be the toughest team that Burnet will face besides us. The have the talent, the leadership and the discipline that is needed to win. Everman won't double cover Jordan Shipley because they have other good recievers that will hurt if they get a chance to be open. Everman has a good defense and they can shut down anyone. Good luck to both teams this weekend. I'm rooting for both of you guys because I know how hard you both worked to get this far and I've had the pleasure of seeing both of ya'll play to the best way ya'll know how. This will be the most exciting game of the year besides Burnet and Sinton. Once again good luck!

Lead, follow, or get out of the way!!

Awesome Dawg Fan
12-10-2002, 09:52 PM
This game is already more exciting than the Sinton Burnet game just because of what it is for. As for those of you who believe Everman can single cover Shipley once again this week you are wrong. I believe I posted last week if Jasper did not double him that Mcgee would pass for 400. He wound up about 50 shy of that but only because the score was out of hand. By the way Shipley only played one down in the 3rd. I hope they do single cover him, because if they do we will bring home the trophy. This is not a slap at the Everman talent, I am simply saying that noone in 3a can single cover him for 4 quarters and not reap the results of a very bad coaching descision.