PDA

View Full Version : All district 3-3A

wildstangs
12-10-2002, 07:09 PM
If someone has the rest of the list post it please.

S'water has 5 on 3-3A team

By RON HOWELL

The Reporter Sports Editor

Sweetwater, which won a co-championship and advanced three rounds further than either of the other two playoff teams in its district, had only five of its players named to the all-District 3-3A football team.

Three schools -- Denver City (9), Merkel (9) and Snyder (7) -- all had more players picked to the mythical squad.

But the Mustangs did land two of the top honors.

Senior quarterback Mychal Carrillo was chosen as the district's offensive Most Valuable Player, an honor he shared the previous year. Carrillo rushed for 1,221 yards and 15 touchdowns during the regular season, and also threw for 593 yards and seven scores.

Kent Jackson was also selected the district's Coach of the Year. Sweetwater tied Sny-der for the 3-3A title with a 4-1 record, then won three more playoff games to reach the state quarterfinals.

Three other Sweetwater players were named on offense -- tight end Jonathan Glover, senior running back Jack Squires and junior running back Josh Jackson. Junior linebacker Michael Straley was the only player who made the first team on defense.

Squires rushed for 825 yards as the team's fullback and Jackson had 502 yards rushing as a starting halfback during the regular season. Straley was in on a team-high 77 tackles, 30 of them solo stops, while causing five fumbles and recovering two. He also had two sacks.

The Mustangs fared better on the second team, as seven players were honored at a total of eight positions.

Junior Giles Montgomery was chosen at both tight end and defensive end. Also making the second team were seniors Andrew Vargas and Jacob Carrillo on the offensive line, senior Randyn Tenery at receiver, senior Josh Guzman on the defensive line, senior Mark Garcia at linebacker and junior Reid Bishop at kicker.

Vargas and Carrillo anchored a line which allowed Sweetwa-ter to average 354 yards per game, including 285 rushing, while Guzman and Montgom-ery were leaders on the defen-sive line which allowed an aver-age of only 226 yards a game during the regular season.

Tenery was the top receiver with 12 catches for 329 yards and five TDs, and also had five interceptions. Ferguson had four interceptions, and Garcia led the team with three sacks. Garrett had 56 tackles, Guz-man 51, DeLaO 50, Reed 49, Garcia 40, Garza 38, Montgo-mery and Morrow 29, Tenery 26, Aguilar 23 and Vargas 17.

Bishop became the team's starting placekicker early in the season and kicked 17 extra points and five field goals in the Mustangs' five district games.

Stick
12-11-2002, 09:37 AM
How does a team win a district co-championship and advance to the regional finals and have only 5 members on first team all-district? Ridiculous!! A five team district and Sweetwater places 4th in all-district balloting. Ridiculous!! I don't know a lot about the other coaches in the district, but I do know the coach from the town of the white buffalo and I am sure he had something to do with this. He has a hard time dealing with people, any people.

vet93
12-11-2002, 10:00 AM
It does seem a little curious that Sweetwater didn't land more first teamers. I think that there may be a tendency to focus on Carillo and think that he was the only reason for their success. It looks like the defense was greatly overlooked.

PPHSfan
12-11-2002, 10:38 AM
I know that the recognition is nice in these All District votings. But I would not put to much emphasis on them. If your team did well and did not receive many votes, that is just a testament to how well you played as a team, without a bunch of Stars. Here is an example...Our team was fifth in picks for the Starting All Disrict Team, which means that two teams that did not make the playoffs had more selections than we did.

wildstangs
12-11-2002, 12:04 PM
vet93:
It does seem a little curious that Sweetwater didn't land more first teamers. I think that there may be a tendency to focus on Carillo and think that he was the only reason for their success. It looks like the defense was greatly overlooked.I was kinda curious about that too. With the exception of Snyder, we breezed through district. I was pleased to see Mychael and Coach Jackson take the two of the top honors, but I think our defense was greatly overlooked. Merkel, Snyder and Denver City all placed more on the list. Merkel didnt even make the playoffs and Snyder and Denver City went out in round one. Oh well, I am sure the guys are just pleased with what we got and us advancing pretty deep.

Buffalo
12-11-2002, 07:13 PM
All District awards are done rigth after the last District game (monday or Tuesday). So they are done before the playoffs ever start.