PDA

View Full Version : Stupidest play of the year

Da Mules
10-31-2003, 10:55 PM
With 3:48 left in the 4th, Muleshoe scores to make it 17-12 Lubbock Cooper leading. Muleshoe player gets a 15-yarder for excessive celebration after the TD :mad: , which is enforced on the following kickoff. With a 20-MPH wind at their back instead of drilling it deep and hanging on, Muleshoe tries an onside kick from their own 25!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: Cooper returns the poorly excecuted play to Mules 9 yard-line, and scores 2 plays later, to make it 24-12. Mule's playoff hopes over, out of the playoffs for the first time since 1997.

bevo
10-31-2003, 10:58 PM
Sounds as if the Coach will be the main topic at the Coffee Shop in the morning...

Da Mules
10-31-2003, 11:18 PM
Well, the defense had been holding Cooper pretty well at that point, and the offense finally came to life. I would have gambled that the D could shut them down again, and made Cooper punt into that wind from somewhere deep on their own end of the field. Odds are lots better for something good to happen, IMHO.
But what the hey, hindsight is 20-20. Cooper was picked to win this one 35-6 by the (extremely biased) Lubbock Avalanche-Journal, and da Mules could have pulled off the upset if not for this unfortunate play. I don't blame the coaches for that 15-yard penalty; that kid was taught better than to pull that that crap, and the penalty just combined with the (lost) risky gamble on the on-side kick to really make things fall apart. So it goes; I'll wager the sun still comes up tomorrow.
The reality is that Coach Wood and his staff really haven't had very much to work with for the past two years, so they're not going to get blistered too badly by all the Saturday morning QB's wink including your's truly. Write it down now and check me out a year later: da Mules are going to field a much better team next year, and Lubbock Cooper will be one of the many to find out firsthand.

The One
10-31-2003, 11:27 PM
Hold the presses!!! I have a nominee for Dumbest play of the year....

Last week Bridgeport at Lake Dallas. 4th down and 6 inches for Bport at their own 19 yd line with 7:00 minutes left in the 1st qtr down by 7pts. We run a delayed draw in shotgun formation loss of 4 on the play!!!!!!!!!!

3afan2K3
10-31-2003, 11:31 PM
The One:
Hold the presses!!! I have a nominee for Dumbest play of the year....

Last week Bridgeport at Lake Dallas. 4th down and 6 inches for Bport at their own 19 yd line with 7:00 minutes left in the 1st qtr down by 7pts. We run a delayed draw in shotgun formation loss of 4 on the play!!!!!!!!!!I vote for the first one, it ruined their play-off chances

slpybear the bullfan
10-31-2003, 11:37 PM
Yeah, but the play that The One is talking about was really ugly.

Da Mules
10-31-2003, 11:45 PM
Well Slpybear, maybe you can put it up for your poll next week wink Worst play based on style, or based on results & consequences? wink
Extra Points given or deducted for poorest judgement, most complete lack of excecution, most inappropriate for situation, running the play most expected by opponents? :D I would have to say Bridgeport's opponents probably did not expect the delayed draw out of the shotgun, so it loses a few points there; apparently gains quite a few in lack of exc and inappropriateness :D :D
You guys would have to judge it's stylishness.

bevo
10-31-2003, 11:49 PM
Anyway Da Mules...I can sympathize with you guys, but better luck next year, huh?

Da Mules
10-31-2003, 11:53 PM
Thanks Bevo. We've got a hl of a JV and freshman team, and several sophs did very well this yeawr on varsity (3 starters, I believe.) So we'll be OK.
Now I got to wonder, what are you doing up in chilly Palmer AK?? Are you from TX?
My nephews played football for Chugiak, I think Palmer was one of their big rivals.

bevo
11-01-2003, 12:02 AM
Da Mules:
Thanks Bevo. We've got a hl of a JV and freshman team, and several sophs did very well this yeawr on varsity (3 starters, I believe.) So we'll be OK.
Now I got to wonder, what are you doing up in chilly Palmer AK?? Are you from TX?
My nephews played football for Chugiak, I think Palmer was one of their big rivals.Yes I am Texan...through and through. I work up her for BP (oil company)...Yes, that is a rivalry, my son just graduated this year, he played for Colony, here in Palmer, he preferred to attend Colony instead of Palmer High. He is in his Freshman year, attending UAA for a few semesters and then transferring down to UT....

Da Mules
11-01-2003, 12:11 AM
Small world, my brother worked for BP, lived in Chugiak until a few years ago. Two of his kids did well for Chug and went on to play college ball in Atchison KS

bevo
11-01-2003, 12:25 AM
Da Mules:
Small world, my brother worked for BP, lived in Chugiak until a few years ago. Two of his kids did well for Chug and went on to play college ball in Atchison KSIt is a small world...enjoyed talking with you. One thing about Friday night football, you always got Saturday (College) to savor, that is if your favorite college wins, then it makes the weekend a little easier. Like I said good luck next year...