PDA

View Full Version : WVU's Rodriguez takes the Bama job...thoughts???

Adidas410s
12-08-2006, 10:37 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2690016

The players at WVU aren't happy about their coach leaving either. Remember last year he signed a 7 year contract and stated that "I'm a WV guy...I went to school at WV...there is nowhere I would rather be than WV...I hope to spend my entire career at WV." I wonder how the team will react in the bowl game. This could turn into a very negative situation.

coach
12-08-2006, 10:39 AM
good decsion even thoug i think bama is overrated in genral

Maroon87
12-08-2006, 11:14 AM
Funny how getting a $1 million per year raise will give you amnesia.:p

g$$
12-08-2006, 12:50 PM
Slightly surprised since WVU was his alma mater. But $$ & national prestige won out here IMO.

You know who suffers? The WVU players currently on campus. His new recruits & freshmen can transfer with no penalty, but upperclassmen cannot w/o sitting out a year D1 to D1. The NCAA needs to look at this because coaches can leave with no penalty & the players suffer in the end.

(& yes I know Bama bought out the clause if he left)

District303aPastPlayer
12-08-2006, 01:05 PM
I was listening to a podcast the other day, and Ivan Mazel said something along the lines of the Administration and Fans of Alabama are probably the only ones who still think they are the Alabama of old, and that the Bama coaching job is prestigious.

g$$
12-08-2006, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
I was listening to a podcast the other day, and Ivan Mazel said something along the lines of the Administration and Fans of Alabama are probably the only ones who still think they are the Alabama of old, and that the Bama coaching job is prestigious.

Yes, Bama has been down give or take a few years lately but the name "Alabama" still carries weight. Since the Bear Bryant days, Bama has had 8 coaches in like 25 years!

crzyjournalist03
12-08-2006, 01:31 PM
Does this open the door for Rutgers to become the "Beast of the Big East"???

wildstangs
12-08-2006, 01:34 PM
The guys on ESPN radio said that WVU is furiously negotiating to keep him there....Maybe he wont leave after all.

coach
12-08-2006, 01:38 PM
thay havent been good since bear bryant

mrescape43
12-08-2006, 01:41 PM
I believe that Rodriguez was offered Tech job prior to Leach and went east instead.

Maroon87
12-08-2006, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by coach
thay havent been good since bear bryant

Actually, they were national champions in 1992 under Gene Stallings.

g$$
12-08-2006, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Actually, they were national champions in 1992 under Gene Stallings.

Thank you, my point exactly. They have had a few good years, but not the consistency from the Bear regime. Bama is still Bama though & will rise again under the right coach.

g$$
12-08-2006, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by mrescape43
I believe that Rodriguez was offered Tech job prior to Leach and went east instead.

You are correct. He went to his alma mater WVU after making his name in coaching & as OC at Clemson.

IHStangFan
12-08-2006, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Thank you, my point exactly. They have had a few good years, but not the consistency from the Bear regime. Bama is still Bama though & will rise again under the right coach. I dont know...maybe, but realistically, Alabama's recruiting classes CAN'T be that of USC or Texas or Notre Dame, 15-20 yrs ago, maybe, today....doubtful.

District303aPastPlayer
12-08-2006, 01:55 PM
i seriously hope he stays.. and why with Rich leaving would Rutgers all of a sudden be the Big Beast in the East? In case anyone has forgotten, White and Slayton are only sophs this year, and are poised for a title run as juniors...

stxfootballfan
12-08-2006, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
I dont know...maybe, but realistically, Alabama's recruiting classes CAN'T be that of USC or Texas or Notre Dame, 15-20 yrs ago, maybe, today....doubtful.

Especially having to compete with in state rival Auburn and a few of the other SEC schools like Florida.

IHStangFan
12-08-2006, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by stxfootballfan
Especially having to compete with in state rival Auburn and a few of the other SEC schools like Florida. very very true, who, more recently than Alabama, have been pretty darn good.

g$$
12-08-2006, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
I dont know...maybe, but realistically, Alabama's recruiting classes CAN'T be that of USC or Texas or Notre Dame, 15-20 yrs ago, maybe, today....doubtful.

Yes they will in time. There are plenty of quality kids to go around & if you are good enough they will come (state of Texas produced 396 kids last year D1). Bama has some of the best facilities in the country & NCs in the past. Name carries weight. Bama will be back with the right coach.

Texas was down under McWilliams & Mackovic too. Now look at them under Mack Brown. You can't keep the traditional powers down long. Bama is a very similar school to Texas academically & athletically as far as facilities, $$, resources, etc. Auburn is the A&M of Alabama.

Bulldog_12
12-08-2006, 03:01 PM
Does anybody else see the irony in this? Bama gets pissed because Fran tells them he has no plans of leaving Bama, then jets for A&M with what looks to be a "better job." Now Bama is happy that R.R. is telling WVU he doesn't plan on leaving, then last minute saying he is going to Bama for what is perceived as a "better job" My how they change their tunes when the role is reversed......:thinking: