PDA

View Full Version : Cove-Aledo

3afan
12-08-2006, 08:56 AM
Cove no longer is undercover
By NAKIA HOGAN
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

At the urging of his coaching friend Hal Mumme, Jack Welch arrived in Central Texas more than a decade ago, after having spent most of his early coaching years in the college ranks.

He inherited a moribund program, strife with dissension and with plenty of losing.

But he also saw something else in the Copperas Cove football program. He saw a community ready to rally around its team, and a talent pool poised for breakout success.

"The town was ripe for the picking," said Welch, now is his 13th season at Copperas Cove. "It was a diamond in the rough. Very few people saw the diamonds in the rough.

"When I first came to Copperas Cove, we talked about shocking the world, being a winner, and someday we will compete for a state title. We believe that. And that's where our focus has been."

The Bulldawgs, who have been in the playoffs eight of the last nine seasons, have never been so close to fulfilling their dream. Last season in Class 5A, they advanced four rounds in the playoffs.

But with a victory over Aledo (12-1) on Saturday in a Class 4A Division I state semifinal, Copperas Cove (11-2) would advance to the first state title football game in school history.

It hasn't been an easy road for the Bulldawgs. Copperas Cove had to replace 13 starters from last season's squad, including star running back Donald Buckram, who just completed his freshman season at UT-El Paso.

First-year starters at running back and quarterback emerged as playmakers, though.

Running back Jerrard Millsap has rushed for 1,499 yards and 20 touchdowns. Quarterback Robert Griffin has passed for 1,694 yards and 20 touchdowns, and has 677 yards rushing with five touchdowns.

"We started off as a mystery," said Welch, whose team knocked off top-ranked Texarkana to reach the semifinal. "We had to replace a lot of positions. We didn't know exactly what to expect. We just thought good things would happen for us if we played hard."

IN THE KNOW

Close calls

Compared to Aledo, Copperas Cove has faced a challenging road in the postseason. Each of Cove's playoff wins has been by seven or fewer points:

Aledo Round Copperas Cove
Arl. Heights, 55-20 Bi-district Waxahachie, 33-28
Fossil Ridge, 26-3 Regional semifinal Dallas Wilson, 21-14
Plainview, 28-12 Regional final Texarkana, 30-27

eagles_victory
12-08-2006, 09:54 AM
i might be at this game. Should I suspect to see the whole gang (3afan jason and emerson 1)

Dominicfrank
12-08-2006, 11:53 AM
I remember when 3A vernon had to play these guys in the later rounds in the playoffs twice going 1-1. Good job Aledo going to 4A and still being a great team, Good luck! Love the new stadium!

sweetwater07
12-08-2006, 02:26 PM
where is this game being played?

Emerson1
12-08-2006, 05:07 PM
Waco ISD at 1pm

charlesrixey
12-08-2006, 07:05 PM
Aledo has been the most overlooked team in 4A for a few years now. They keep getting better and better. I can only hope when Celina moves up to 4A we can have the same kind of success.

Old Tiger
12-08-2006, 07:06 PM
GO COVE!

REP THAT CENTEX!

charlesrixey
12-08-2006, 07:08 PM
as good as cove has been in 5A, if they stay in 4A they will have a chance to do some special things. Jack Welch is a great coach, a lot like Buchanan at Aledo, in fact.