PDA

View Full Version : AAS article - "Allman finds a new home, football family"

LH Panther Mom
12-08-2006, 07:50 AM
Allman finds a new home, football family in Liberty Hill
Former McNeil, Round Rock student thriving in new school's small-town atmosphere
By Alan Trubow

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Friday, December 08, 2006

The move to the country had nothing to do with football, playing time or position switches.

It was a move for family.

After bouncing between McNeil and Round Rock High, Doug Allman started this season at Liberty Hill, where he has rushed for 1,549 yards and 27 touchdowns on 271 carries.

When the Allmans left the Round Rock Independent School District for the quiet, peaceful, slower-paced life of nearby Liberty Hill, it was all about a family needing to reconnect, getting a fresh start with some land out in the middle of Texas. They were putting a couple of tough years behind them.

Little did the Allmans know that they also were putting the football in their son's hands.

A year ago, Doug Allman thought this football season would be about making a name for himself as a linebacker for McNeil.

Had that happened, he would be spending Saturday at home, not leading the Panthers into a Class 3A, Division II state quarterfinal against Giddings. Allman, who spent parts of the past two years at McNeil and Round Rock, has become one of the marquee names in Central Texas football this season.

"It's been a wild ride," said Allman, who started out his high school career at McNeil, then went to Round Rock for the first six weeks of his sophomore year before heading back to McNeil and, eventually, to Liberty Hill.

"But moving to Liberty Hill was one of the best things that ever happened to me," he said. "I'm really happy here. Not that I wasn't happy at McNeil."

But Liberty Hill has been different, and not just because it's a switch from Class 5A to Class 3A.

Allman has enjoyed the small-town feel of high school football, where people he's never met come up and congratulate him after every game.

He's enjoyed playing on Friday nights.

And, most of all, he's enjoyed playing offense instead of defense.

He's doing it well.

The 6-foot-1-inch, 225-pound junior fullback has rumbled his way for 1,549 yards and 27 touchdowns while carrying the ball 271 times this year.

"I never would have believed you if you told me all this would have happened," Allman said. "And I never expected all this."

You have to believe Allman. That he didn't make the move to Liberty Hill so he could play fullback.

"He would have started for us at linebacker," McNeil coach Robert Wilcox said. "That's where we expected him to play. He might have played varsity for us his sophomore year, but he couldn't because of the district's transfer rules and the time he spent going to Round Rock."

It's not surprising Allman has fit in with the rest of the Panthers, who accepted him into the family immediately and with a warm welcome.

"He's one of those kids who shows up to practice every day and works hard," Wilcox said. "He's a smart football player. It was tough to hear he was leaving."

Isn't that how everybody pictures Liberty Hill football: hard-working players who achieve more as a team than they would as individuals?

Allman has added to that team.

Especially to an offense that is averaging 437 rushing yards and 45 points a game, an offense that has prided itself on producing three-headed rushing monsters the past three years.

In 2004, Casey Kociuba, Matt Escamilla and Ryan Lawhon combined for 6,552 yards and 97 touchdowns. They were named Central Texas' co-players of the year.

This year, it's Allman, Brent Bode (180 rushes, 1,850 yards, 24 touchdowns) and Sammy Post (137 rushes, 937 yards, 11 touchdowns).

"He's been a good addition to the team. He's really fit right in here," Liberty Hill coach Jerry Vance said. "It helps when you have that big, bruising fullback in the middle of our offense. He can wear opponents down. And when they focus on stopping him, we can bust it outside with Bode and Post.

That's exactly what Liberty Hill (11-2), which might have played the toughest schedule in all of Class 3A, has done.

Twice this postseason, Allman has rushed for more than 150 yards, combining for 50 carries, 358 yards and seven touchdowns against China Spring and Crockett.

The one game he didn't go over 100 yards? That was against Sweeny, when Bode carried 18 times for 168 yards.

If it's not one Liberty Hill running back, it's another. Or all three in the same game.

"It's an offense where each weapon really helps the other people," Allman said. "And the biggest thing is our offensive line. They open up holes quickly."

They close up quickly, too. Allman might have tons of yards, but he's more likely to break three tackles on a 10-yard gain than bust an 80-yard run. His longest carry this season is 38 yards.

But against a team like Giddings, which averages 40 points and 418 rushing yards per game, the team with the more effective ground attack likely will prevail. That, in all likelihood, means, grinding it out.

"Honestly, I think we can win. I really think we can," Allman said. "They're a really talented football team and one of the best teams we've played all year. But I think we'll be able to hang with them."

Why not?

Allman has moved homes.

He's moved piles.

Saturday, he could move the Panthers to the state semifinals.

atrubow@statesman.com; 445-3959

American-Statesman link (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/highschool/12/08/8allman.html)

LHMom
12-08-2006, 08:13 AM
Glad to have the #44 represented so well! :)

Welcome again to LH, Doug & the Allman family.

rundoe
12-08-2006, 09:02 AM
We are behind you Doug and all the rest of you guys, we know you all have the team mentality and have what it takes to get the job done.
Rundoe

Phil C
12-08-2006, 09:27 AM
THEY COULD HAVE DONE THE SAME THING BY MOVING TO SINTON!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

LH Panther Mom
12-08-2006, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
THEY COULD HAVE DONE THE SAME THING BY MOVING TO SINTON!

:mad: :mad: :mad:
Could have, but didn't. :D

wimbo_pro
12-08-2006, 10:14 AM
I have met Allman's parents at the Wimberley game...great people! Probably the reason he is such a good kid. And by the way, Allman is EVERY BIT as tough as you have heard. I can only imagine what he will be like next year.

Phil C
12-08-2006, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Could have, but didn't. :D

Recruiting there too huh?

:) ;) :D

LH Panther Mom
12-08-2006, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Recruiting there too huh?

:) ;) :D
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

rundoe
12-08-2006, 01:45 PM
We are behind you Doug and all the rest of you guys, we know you all have the team mentality and have what it takes to get the job done.
Rundoe