PDA

View Full Version : Inside Texas Football Magazine (For UT fans only)

Phil C
12-07-2006, 05:56 PM
They come out with an issue once a month and it is great writing on UT sports mainly football but also does articles on other UT sports. I will comment on a few articles from time to time but it is best for you to buy and get the issue for yourself to read and even subcribe to it if you want to. The issues are only $3.95 and I get mine at the HEB. My summaries are just a touch on the service so please buy the magazine to get the full enjoyment and information on it. Also this is for UT fans only and for just sharing information and opinions which don't represent the University of Texas. I would prefer this not to get to be a UT vs A&M, OK, etc, type thread. It would be welcome if the others get a thread of their own to share information like this with their fans and other fans that would be interested. Everyone is of course welcome to read this thread for information and interest but bear in mind it is a UT fan and biased to that point of view just like I would expect it to be for an A&M or OK or Baylor, etc. , type thread. Hope you enjoy it and buy the magazine. Hook 'em!

g$$
12-07-2006, 06:34 PM
Sounds good Phil, look forward to the stories.

Let me know if those 2 I told you about are mentioned or profiled please. Much appreciated. I read Horns Illustrated sometimes at Sports Clips when I get a haircut.

Comeaux
12-07-2006, 09:51 PM
I have really enjoyed Horns Illustrated.
The staff is all UT grads.

http://www.hornsillustrated.com/

Phil C
12-08-2006, 11:50 AM
One of the writers Mr. Bill Frisbie picked the his best all time five UT vs A&M football games. This comes from a decidedly Longhorn perspective, of course, so maybe the Aggies can have a thread of their chices and maybe the most recent game will be on theirs. The top five in no particular order are:

1940 UT 7 A&M 0 The Aggies were national champions the year before and had a long winning streak and if they had one this game they would have no doubt been NCs again and probably could have gone to the Rose Bowl. The Horns scored on four place in the first 58 seconds and then it was a defensive struggle the rest of the game.

1963 Texas 15 A&M 13. The Longhorns had to come 10 points behind in the fourth quarter to keep their No. 1 ranking. The Aggies didn't have a good year but they were determined and played a good game.

1990 UT 28 A&M 27. The Aggies took 10 of 11 of the games from 1984 to 1994 so this was an important game. UT was ahead 28 to 21 when the Aggies scored a late td in the fourth quarter. The Aggies went for 2 to win it (no OT then) and UT stopped the 2 point conversion for a great and needed win.

1995 UT 16 A&M 6. Both top ranked teams but UT hadn't won in 12 years at Kyle field. The UT defense played great and had several important turnovers.

1998 UT 26 A&M 24. This one was noted where Ricky Williams set the career rushing record but the Horns had to drive at the end of the fourth quarter to get a field goal to win the game.

Two honorable mentions he has are

1977 UT 57 A&M 28. UT had lost 2 straight games to the Aggies and needed this one.

1983 UT 45 A&M 13. UT feel behind 0 - 13 but game back strong to score 45 unanswered points to win the game.

These are his choices. I think 2 more honorable mentions would the 1918 and 1920 win over the Aggies by 7 - 0 and 7 -3. The Aggies only lost two games (with one tie) between 1917 to 1920 and both were to UT. The Aggies had great defenses and over those 4 years had many shutouts and only allowed at the most 7 points in their games.
Unfortunately it wasn't until 1934 that most of the rest of the country found out what Texans knew from the beginning in that great football is played in Texas by Texas football players.

Phil C
12-08-2006, 11:56 AM
One great article by Inside Texas is their scoops. One of them involved Joe Dixon who had a great career as a defensive back from 1962 to 1964 but he almost got remembered as the back who almost blew it in the UT national championship year in 1963. UT was ahead of Baylor 7 - 0 but Baylor was at the UT 19 with 29 seconds left. Had Baylor scored they might have got the sure tie or maybe gone for 2 points and with their personel they would have had a good chance to make it and win the game. Regardless Dixon stayed with Elkins who turned inside and as the ball came down Duke Carlisle ran over and jumped in front of the great Baylor receiver Lawrence Elkins and get the interception and saved the game. What also didn't help is that Joe was quoted as telling Duke thank you for saving his life.

Coach Royal was asked the play and was told that Dixon felt it was a shame that he was remembered for almost blowing it. Royal explained the Dixon had done what he was supposed to do. He made Elkins go inside where Duke was supposed to help him. It worked. Dixon was very happy when this story came out. He passed away this past summer.

Phil C
12-08-2006, 12:32 PM
Pat Culpepper who was a great UT linebacker from 1960 to 1962 (back then freshmen were not eligible for varsity and they only had three years). He picked his top three longhorn football players and they are:

Tommy Nobis who was a great linebacker from 1963 to 1865 and had a great pro career. When Nobis was to be drafted in 1965 the great pro footbal coach Vince Lombardi said "Atlanta (who had the first pick) has to make Nobis No. 1." Atlanta wisely did so. You could sense that Lombardi would have loved to have had Nobis on his team.

Earl Campbell who was a great running back and won the Heisman at UT and later had a great pro football career.

Vince Young who was great and we all know that and it looks like he too will have a great pro career.

The thing that Mr. Culpepper also like about them besides their outstanding football play is that they all loved the University of Texas and never embarassed the school.

Sinton94
12-08-2006, 12:33 PM
Great info Phil!:thumbsup:

g$$
12-08-2006, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Pat Culpepper who was a great UT linebacker from 1960 to 1962 (back then freshmen were not eligible for varsity and they only had three years). He picked his top three longhorn football players and they are:

Tommy Nobis who was a great linebacker from 1963 to 1865 and had a great pro career. When Nobis was to be drafted in 1965 the great pro footbal coach Vince Lombardi said "Atlanta (who had the first pick) has to make Nobis No. 1." Atlanta wisely did so. You could sense that Lombardi would have loved to have had Nobis on his team.

Earl Campbell who was a great running back and won the Heisman at UT and later had a great pro football career.

Vince Young who was great and we all know that and it looks like he too will have a great pro career.

The thing that Mr. Culpepper also like about them besides their outstanding football play is that they all loved the University of Texas and never embarassed the school.

You can win a few games with those 3 players right there! Good stuff Phil. My Dad often said Tommy Nobis was the best defensive player he ever saw play, & Doak Walker (SMU) was the best on offense.

Phil C
12-08-2006, 05:19 PM
Doak Walker was a great player and won the Heisman as a junior and probably would have won it as a senior were it not for an injury that caused him to miss several games. He had a good pro career with Detroit and he and Bobby Layne helped Detroit win two NFL championships while Doak was there. Some say he retired too early in 1955 but believe it or not he was making more money at his off season job than playing football. Remember that was 1955.
I never got to see Doak play but some of my uncles that did say he was the great player that everyone says.

Phil C
12-08-2006, 05:23 PM
Bobby Layne who played football with Doak Walker in high school and in the pros at Detroit also had a great career at UT.