PDA

View Full Version : Volleyball 24-3A All District Picks

g$$
12-07-2006, 12:20 PM
Sweeny, Columbia athletes get district nods

By Joel Luna
The Facts

Published December 7, 2006

Facing new district foes in District 24-3A, the Sweeny Lady Bulldogs and Columbia Lady ’Necks each left their mark among all-district volleyball selections.

The Lady Bulldogs made the postseason for the 10th year in a row and were led by seniors Kaley Hubbard and Hillary Dye. Hubbard wrapped up her final year with a co-offensive most valuable player award as an outside hitter and middle blocker. Dye, also an outside hitter, made the first-team all-district squad.

“I’ve had them since they were freshmen, and as a coach I’ve seen them take the reins and watch them grow as leaders,” Sweeny head coach Stacy Holcomb said. “With Hillary’s ball control, she talked to the girls and told them where they needed to be on the court. As for Kaley, she was a threat on the net. We were able to capitalize with both because Hillary was very smart and Kaley very dominant.”

Sweeny, finished 22-13 and in second place behind unbeaten Columbus and ahead of Needville. The Lady Bulldogs fell in five tough games to La Grange in the bi-district round of the playoffs.

“It was an exciting year because the girls grew so much,” Holcomb said. “At first it was a little shaky, but I knew they would get better. This was a very spirited group with a lot of pride who wanted to get out there and represent the school well. I had five seniors that pulled the girls together.”

Columbus’ Elise Huskey was chosen the district’s most valuable player, and teammate Hannah Trojacek was the co-setter of the year, along with Wharton’s Megan Joost.

Columbus head coach Rhonda Magness was selected as coach of the year.

Needville’s Megan Bludau shared her co-offensive most valuable player award with Hubbard. The defensive player of the year was Sealy’s Lauren Svoboda, while Wharton freshman Heather Reynolds was selected as the district’s newcomer of the year.

Columbia senior Jade Davis made the first-team as a middle blocker. The Lady ’Necks finished 5-9 in district play and in fifth place.

“Jade led our team in just about every category including serves, blocks, kills and was our team captain,” Columbia head coach Tracy Gregory said. “This year she was more positive and tried getting the team more positive in practice and during the matches. We’ve been building our program and had a better year in a bigger and tougher district.”

Rounding out the first-team all-district selections were Sweeny setter Candyce Carter; Needville’s Sarah Black and Hannah Bosak; Columbus’ Mandy Moeller and Casey Wessels; Sealy’s Sarah Holub; Stafford’s Lisa Guerra; and Wharton’s Neliza Davis and Brittany Gutierrez.

Second-team selections were Columbia’s Laura Whitehead; Sweeny’s Katy Scarborough and Jalyn Erwin; Needville’s Lacey Bosak and Sara Miller; Sealy’s Lacey Krchnak and Cami Stastny; Stafford’s Kim Aing; and Wharton’s Christi Ellis.

Honorable mention honors went to Columbia’s Danille Fomby, Kellie Kitchen and Madison Minks, and Sweeny’s Leah Frazier, Letra Johnican and My’Neatric Woodard.

Also receiving recognition for work in the classroom by making the academic all-district team were Columbia’s Davis, Fomby, Minks, Whitehead, Kellie Kitchen, Kenzie Kitchen, Kimberly Garcia, Jasey Goodwin, Bailey Watts and Alona Whitt. Sweeny’s representatives on the all-academic squad were Hubbard, Dye, Scarborough, Woodard, Fraizer, Carter and Kaycee Hillmer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

neck_06
12-07-2006, 02:17 PM
My little sister madison minks should have gotten 1st or 2nd team. She led Columbia in most categories. (kills, service points, etc.)

g$$
12-07-2006, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by neck_06
My little sister madison minks should have gotten 1st or 2nd team. She led Columbia in most categories. (kills, service points, etc.)

Agreed, never saw a game but was told she could play. Probably hurt (unfairly) by Columbia's 5-9 district record. These things get political sometimes.

She should be a fixture on here the next couple of years. Best of luck to her.

neck_06
12-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Agreed, never saw a game but was told she could play. Probably hurt (unfairly) by Columbia's 5-9 district record. These things get political sometimes.

She should be a fixture on here the next couple of years. Best of luck to her.
thanks g$$, but if the records had anything to do with it, Stafford wouldn't have two girls in front of her, and Brookshire wouldn't have one.

carter08
12-07-2006, 05:03 PM
Congrats to Jade, LB, Danielle, Madison, and Kellie.

And the people from other schools

GO LADY NECKS

awizzy
12-07-2006, 05:39 PM
yep whitehead thats my sister

g$$
12-07-2006, 05:42 PM
thanks g$$, but if the records had anything to do with it, Stafford wouldn't have two girls in front of her, and Brookshire wouldn't have one.

Good point, I did not count each school's honorees. But you know as well as I that these things are highly political. The winning team gets more, etc. often unfairly. You vote for mine, I vote for yours, etc. I am guessing each school getting representation (& why?) hurt her here, plus possibly underclassman status. Not saying I agree with it at all. If a team is horrible (like Stafford, etc.), why in the world should they be "guaranteed" a spot on the team. You don't get a medal for playing!

She should have been on the 1st or 2nd team no doubt, & I trust my volleyball source on this one! Best of luck to her.

g$$
12-07-2006, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by carter08
Congrats to Jade, LB, Danielle, Madison, and Kellie.

And the people from other schools

GO LADY NECKS

I have read that Jade Davis name a lot. Is she a big-time athlete, say in basketball? Any news on her future or sport? I know she excels in a bunch of them.

I bet she is related to a guy a few years ahead of me from WC. His name was "?" Davis back when WC was good at basketball before the past few years. WC would not even play us in hs my junior year as their program was down (they were 4A then). But we were loaded with Benford Williams, Avery Helm, Nick Bess, etc. & won 3/4 State Titles between 1985-1988. Just wondering?

awizzy
12-07-2006, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I have read that Jade Davis name a lot. Is she a big-time athlete, say in basketball? Any news on her future or sport? I know she excels in a bunch of them.

I bet she is related to a guy a few years ahead of me from WC. His name was "?" Davis back when WC was good at basketball before the past few years. WC would not even play us in hs my junior year as their program was down (they were 4A then). But we were loaded with Benford Williams, Avery Helm, Nick Bess, etc. & won 3/4 State Titles between 1985-1988. Just wondering?
basketball??? huh yea...shes really good she could play d1..i know a&m was looking at her and utsa but idk about the other davis idk but yea jade has been all brazoria county twice i think mvp last year and hey the lady necks are 11-0 in basketball. but dont forget laura whitehead she can shoot like her brother

carter08
12-07-2006, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by awizzy
but dont forget laura whitehead she can shoot like her brother

don't you mean better than her brother

awizzy
12-07-2006, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by carter08
don't you mean better than her brother
nah not yet

g$$
12-07-2006, 06:25 PM
basketball??? huh yea...shes really good she could play d1..i know a&m was looking at her and utsa but idk about the other davis idk but yea jade has been all brazoria county twice i think mvp last year and hey the lady necks are 11-0 in basketball. but dont forget laura whitehead she can shoot like her brother

Thanks, so basketball is her ticket it seems. Best of luck to her in the future. I bet that guy I mentioned is her dad. Guy could flat play & silky smooth shot. All they had though was him.

A&M sounds ok to me & they have gotten good under Gary Blair.

neck_06
12-07-2006, 07:56 PM
but dont forget laura whitehead she can shoot like her brother

i've played with her brother, that dude was terrible.....jk awizzy

awizzy
12-07-2006, 08:15 PM
i've played with her brother, that dude was terrible.....jk awizzy
go hang a slider neck...jk

neck_06
12-07-2006, 08:16 PM
go hang a slider neck...jk

lol, you can't hit it. ;) check out the football pictures thread.