PDA

View Full Version : Horns want Randy Shannon or Jerry Gray as new DC...

g$$
12-07-2006, 10:25 AM
Current Miami DC Randy Shannon has been offered the vacant DC position at Texas, according to reports. He will take it if he does not get the Miami HC job.

Former Longhorn great & All American DB Jerry Gray is another option. Gray has worked as an NFL asst. since his All Pro playing days ended in the NFL.

Thoughts? I think either is a quality hire.

injuredinmelee
12-07-2006, 10:28 AM
I would be happy with either one of these guys. IF Shannon turns it down then it is my opinion that Gray is the second best candidate. Why stop there lets bring in Applewhite to replace Greg Davis.

So is Fran's job safe? Did the win in Austin buy him one more year with the alumni despite the see saw season.

mrescape43
12-07-2006, 10:28 AM
I think either one will be a good choice and wouldn't it be great to take this job with all the talent they will have to work with.

kaorder1999
12-07-2006, 10:36 AM
RANDY SHANNON

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/mifl/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/560832.jpeg

STUART SCOTT

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b2/Stuart_Scott.jpg

HMMMMMMM

g$$
12-07-2006, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I would be happy with either one of these guys. IF Shannon turns it down then it is my opinion that Gray is the second best candidate. Why stop there lets bring in Applewhite to replace Greg Davis.

So is Fran's job safe? Did the win in Austin buy him one more year with the alumni despite the see saw season.

Fran is safe, & I am still waiting for more than 1 win. It's all about body of work to me. Next year will tell the tale w/ a rough road schedule (Miami, Tech, Mizzou, OU, & Nebraska). Still 25-22 overall & 2 wins against the big 4 in the Big 12.

District303aPastPlayer
12-07-2006, 10:37 AM

Applewhite was offered the OC job with Gene Chizik wasn't he?

kaorder1999
12-07-2006, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer

nobody knows yet....

g$$
12-07-2006, 10:43 AM

Major says he is staying at Rice...we'll see after the bowl game for Rice. Major is a HC in the making.

Funk-d-fied
12-07-2006, 10:46 AM
I think he is going to ISU, and Fran still needs to produce more wins. This year he was 6 points from being undefeated but at the same time he was about 8 points from losing 5 or 6. He is doing good and getting athletes but next year will mean alot for him.

injuredinmelee
12-07-2006, 10:49 AM
I think he would like to come back to his alma mater. Wh knows though. I was sitting right above hsi parents at his very last home game against Kansas and it was very emotional. His last play of that game they ahd the ball at the KU 2 yard line and after they broke the huddle Cedric benson walked up to Major and slapped him on the butt and went back to his tailback spot. All 80,000 people knew it was gonna be a QB sneak and the entie stadium rose to their feet and started yelling before the ball was quick snapped. IT was awesome. The fans chanting his name brought tears to my eyes so you can imagine how his mom was feeling. My ex wife and I got to spend a little time with him after the game and he signed some stuff for our son, also named Major, and we got some really great pictues of us and he.

Johnnypaycheck
applewhite will not be the OC at iowa state. Chizik already hired the HFC at Stephen F Austin to be his OC.

Funk-d-fied
Guess Major isn't going anywhere....

Chizik names offensive, defensive coordinators

December 5, 2006
Add comment

New Iowa State football coach Gene Chizik named his coordinators Monday - Wayne Bolt on defense and Robert McFarland on offense.

Bolt was out of coaching last season. He has assistant coaching stops at Alabama-Birmingham, Troy, Auburn, Clemson, Wyoming and East Carolina on his résumé.

McFarland was the head coach at NCAA Division I-AA Stephen F. Austin the past three seasons.

McFarland and Chizik were Stephen F. Austin assistant coaches between the 1991 and '99 seasons. They also were assistants at Central Florida between 2000 and '02.

Also Monday, Rice offensive coordinator Major Applewhite, a former Texas quarterback, denied Internet reports linking him to a position at Iowa State.

"There is absolutely no truth to the report that has surfaced that I have already accepted, or I am considering an offer to join the staff at Iowa State," he said in a statement on the Rice Web site. "I have not been contacted by anyone, and do not have any interest."

eagles_victory
12-07-2006, 11:26 AM
. Why stop there lets bring in Applewhite to replace Greg Davis.

that would be an irrational decision