PDA

View Full Version : Statewide Potw Voting

pirate4state
12-07-2006, 01:01 AM
Voting ends in 24 hours :nerd:

Thank you all for the nominations this week!! :clap: I was happy to see some O-lineman & Defense guys get nods too bad they didn't win out since they usually don't get the recognition they deserve!! :(

Don't be a HOMER!! :p

Ashton Whiteside, RB, Vernon
26-20 win over Snyder

Rushing, 23-206 yds, 3 TDs (accounted for all of Vernon's TDs)

RICCO RICHARDS - BROWNSBORO
28-6 win over Pilot Point

21 carries for 164 yards
3 td's of 45, 4 and 7 yards

Brock Fitzhenry, QB Giddings
313 yards rushing, 4 TDs

Ricky Beaty Sr. QB Wimberley
55-33 win over Cuero

Passing: 10-16 - 279 yards, 1 TD (27.9 yards per completion, NO INT's)
Rushing: 14 - 134 - 1 TD rushing - 9.57 yards per carry

1 - 18 - 1 TD receiving

431 total yards and 3 TD's and one pass break up on defense that saved a TD.

piratebg
12-07-2006, 01:06 AM
Region IV Represent!!! :D

Old Tiger
12-07-2006, 01:07 AM
RICCO!!!!!!!!!

pirate4state
12-07-2006, 01:08 AM
haha - that receiving TD that Beatty scored on was just wicked. GREAT CALL by their coach!!! :clap: :clap:

Boosty_Hondo
12-07-2006, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
haha - that receiving TD that Beatty scored on was just wicked. GREAT CALL by their coach!!! :clap: :clap:

its called the nebraska special aka a double reverse pass

wimbo_pro
12-07-2006, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state

Yeas, it was practiced all week prior to the game, and was the buzz of those who watch the practices (you know how there seems to be a certain group who go to EVERY practice). We are not known for trick plays...we rarely run any, so this was a big deal for us. I wish we ran more, after seeing that one!

GreenMachine
12-07-2006, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
Yeas, it was practiced all week prior to the game, and was the buzz of those who watch the practices (you know how there seems to be a certain group who go to EVERY practice). We are not known for trick plays...we rarely run any, so this was a big deal for us. I wish we ran more, after seeing that one! That plaly was awesome...definitely a backbreaker!

mrescape43
12-07-2006, 10:31 AM
Whiteside--Vernon.

This guy is a major part of the reason that Snyder isn't playing football this week. I think AW is the 1st RB to surpass 200 yds against the Tigers since Shaud Williams from Andrews did it in the late 1990's

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-07-2006, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by mrescape43
Whiteside--Vernon.

This guy is a major part of the reason that Snyder isn't playing football this week. I think AW is the 1st RB to surpass 200 yds against the Tigers since Shaud Williams from Andrews did it in the late 1990's

And Whiteside is a full back. Not a speedy half back. He had to work hard for those up the middle yards. Believe me he had contact for all 200 of those yards. It wasn't easy running.

GreenMonster
12-07-2006, 06:07 PM
We are not known for trick plays...we rarely run any, so this was a big deal for us. I wish we ran more, after seeing that one!

I find this interesting. When I played for Nelms he would put in a trick play every week. My personal favorite was the A&M Skip Pass. It would have worked like a charm if the wide open receiver could catch. We would have beat Southlake Carroll if he could have hung on. There was only about 1 minute to go in the game and there wasn't a SLC player within 30 yards of him and he had a convoy of blockers to boot. Instead we ended up turning it over on downs and got beat 12 - 7. Kris Brown (the Texans current kicker) hit 4 FG's in the game to go along with being the QB.

mrescape43
12-07-2006, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
And Whiteside is a full back. Not a speedy half back. He had to work hard for those up the middle yards. Believe me he had contact for all 200 of those yards. It wasn't easy running.

I agree. I would bet that 80% of those yds were after contact. The speedy half backs aren't as successful against the Snyder D. It is a bruiser like AW who can run over you who are more successful against the Tiger D.

TexanAlum_06
12-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I find this interesting. When I played for Nelms he would put in a trick play every week. My personal favorite was the A&M Skip Pass. It would have worked like a charm if the wide open receiver could catch. We would have beat Southlake Carroll if he could have hung on. There was only about 1 minute to go in the game and there wasn't a SLC player within 30 yards of him and he had a convoy of blockers to boot. Instead we ended up turning it over on downs and got beat 12 - 7. Kris Brown (the Texans current kicker) hit 4 FG's in the game to go along with being the QB.
Well last year mainly during the playoffs every week we would put in a new formation or a play... .not necasarily a trick play but something they found in film of the oppenent that we could take advantage of... some of them worked... but most didnt... a lot of them didnt tho because just like one guy missing a block or timing. but they were good plays... the best one that worked was probably the one we scored on the first play of the game against west columbia. it was a 65 yard TD pass. But yeah nelms is pretty creative... great coach and person.

Who-dun-it!!?
12-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Did I read this right? the brock kid had 313 yds rushing in one game???

Wow! I voted for Whitesides but if this stat is correct, DANG!!

Who-dun-it!!?
12-07-2006, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2

Your right, I read somewhere that WHITESIDE was stopped for a loss for the first time against Snyder. I saw it happen. Snyder's Defense is "was" top notch!!

This kid will be a D-1 player soon. And maybe even more than that. He's the best fullback I've seen in high school football in about 32 years!!

gobbler grad
12-07-2006, 08:44 PM
Beaty did not pass for 279 yds.:thinking: maybe179...?????

12-20-196yds...not sure where 279 came from...got this out of newspaper...:thinking:

wimbo_pro
12-07-2006, 09:20 PM

Green, I have watched Nelms for the last 5 years or so...and I have RARELY seen a "trick play" like we saw against Cuero. Interesting you say he used to put them in regularly. Wonder whats changed?

GreenMonster
12-07-2006, 10:45 PM
Wonder whats changed?

Offensive coordinators. The O-Coordinator he had at IP is now the AD at IP. Nelms runs a totally different scheme on both sides of the ball now than what he ran at IP. I was lucky enough to watch a little film of his Wimberly team of '04 and man was I suprised. He was running the spread and the defense was in a 3 man front. Not sure what he's running now, I assume pretty much the same thing. Back when he was in IP it was a lot of double wing and wing T with a split 6 defense. I certainly have to agree with Texan_Alum in that Nelms is a great leader of men and a great person. I had a rough go as far as coaches go in my school days. 4 different AD's in 6 years. The one we had in Jr Hi we never saw. The next 2 were bullies. Then we got Nelms. He walked into a really bad situation in IP and lost 15 straight games before he got it turned around. Even after losing the first 5 games of his second season that team made the play-offs. After that everything was smooth sailing. He put together a few really powerful teams before moving on. The difference in Nelms compared to the previous coaches I'd had was that he actually cared about us as people and treated us like his children. He expected us to act right and do the right thing just as a father would expect of his children.

TexanAlum_06
12-07-2006, 10:56 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by gobbler grad
Beaty did not pass for 279 yds.:thinking: maybe179...?????

12-20-196yds...not sure where 279 came from...got this out of newspaper...:thinking: [/QUOTE

thats what the AAS said saturday morning. and I havent seen any other write ups about stats so I had to go with that.

Old Tiger
12-07-2006, 11:01 PM
How can you not vote for a guy named Ricco?

TexanAlum_06
12-08-2006, 01:04 AM
Offensive coordinators. The O-Coordinator he had at IP is now the AD at IP. Nelms runs a totally different scheme on both sides of the ball now than what he ran at IP. I was lucky enough to watch a little film of his Wimberly team of '04 and man was I suprised. He was running the spread and the defense was in a 3 man front. Not sure what he's running now, I assume pretty much the same thing. Back when he was in IP it was a lot of double wing and wing T with a split 6 defense. I certainly have to agree with Texan_Alum in that Nelms is a great leader of men and a great person. I had a rough go as far as coaches go in my school days. 4 different AD's in 6 years. The one we had in Jr Hi we never saw. The next 2 were bullies. Then we got Nelms. He walked into a really bad situation in IP and lost 15 straight games before he got it turned around. Even after losing the first 5 games of his second season that team made the play-offs. After that everything was smooth sailing. He put together a few really powerful teams before moving on. The difference in Nelms compared to the previous coaches I'd had was that he actually cared about us as people and treated us like his children. He expected us to act right and do the right thing just as a father would expect of his children. Hes still the same. I feel previleged for having the oppurtunity to play for him. I have talked to others who have and they feel the same way. he does treat his players liek they are his own amd expects nothing but the best... on the field, in the classroom, and in the community. He set good examples. and hes a pretty funny guy from time to time. hes old school so he would bust out with some wierd words back from his days or some wierd sayings that just kinda all made us look at each other and wonder what he just said. lol. but it was a great 4 years for me.