PDA

View Full Version : Ufc

stxfootballfan
12-06-2006, 11:28 PM
Just curious about how many people on the down low enjoy watching UFC and who are your favorite fighters? If you dont what are your reasons?

NDFootball
12-06-2006, 11:44 PM
Yeah I watch UFC as much as I can. My favorite fighter is Diego Sanchez, that guy is a beast. Chris Leben too but I don't see him much.

District303aPastPlayer
12-06-2006, 11:58 PM
Lidell and GRiffin....
ortiz is a beast too...

stxfootballfan
12-07-2006, 12:00 AM
I jumped on the Anderson Silva bandwagoon after he knocked Chris Leban out. I like watching Diego, Brandon Vera, Mike Swick(from Houston TX), Chuck Lidell and BJ Penn. My friends and I get together every UFC PPV and split the costs.

District303aPastPlayer
12-07-2006, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by stxfootballfan
I jumped on the Anderson Silva bandwagoon after he knocked Chris Leban out. I like watching Diego, Brandon Vera, Mike Swick(from Houston TX), Chuck Lidell and BJ Penn. My friends and I get together every UFC PPV and split the costs.

why not join me and my friends at Hooters, posted up on teh bar with ReVae...

elgatonegro67
12-07-2006, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
Lidell and GRiffin....
ortiz is a beast too...

ortiz and lidel fight december 22nd i believe.....chuck (the iceman) lidel is my fav fighter along with robbie lawler (the gladiator) ......i used to train in MMA (mixed martial arts) thats how i got into watching the ufc,pride fc,king of the cage, and k1 (although it is more kick boxing)

stxfootballfan
12-07-2006, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by elgatonegro67
ortiz and lidel fight december 22nd i believe.....chuck (the iceman) lidel is my fav fighter along with robbie lawler (the gladiator) ......i used to train in MMA (mixed martial arts) thats how i got into watching the ufc,pride fc,king of the cage, and k1 (although it is more kick boxing)

Dec. 30 Griffin, Leben and Arvlovski on the card too

NDFootball
12-07-2006, 12:28 AM
Ortiz vs. Lidell should be an awesome fight. At least Ortiz isn't fighting Shamrock anymore, I'm tired of watching 50 second fights that you waste good money seeing.

SintonFan
12-07-2006, 12:33 AM
I stopped watching when Ken Shamrock and Royce Gracie were still battling it out.:cool:
The first XX of UFC were the best with more teeth flying per minute than any time since then.:D

DU_stud04
12-07-2006, 12:41 AM
ufc is gay. two sweaty men in underware hugging. makes me sick to my stomach. i hate ufc with a passion, it cant ever be and wont be nearly as big as boxing.

i was in the restroom and hear over the speaker, "and he takes him down with a left hook" so im thinkin boxing and start listening. " and then he mounts him" i nearly throw up.

its a sad sad sad thing.

DU_stud04
12-07-2006, 12:43 AM
why not join me and my friends at Hooters, posted up on teh bar with ReVae... im disappointed in you aaron.

NDFootball
12-07-2006, 12:47 AM
Surely you mean professional wrestling :eek:

There's too many rules in boxing

DU_stud04
12-07-2006, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by NDFootball
Surely you mean professional wrestling :eek:

There's too many rules in boxing and whats there in ufc? it seriously takes no talent, a bunch of roided up guys, one hit and then theyre down to hugging. ill take my rules with boxing and be straight.

stxfootballfan
12-07-2006, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
ufc is gay. two sweaty men in underware hugging. makes me sick to my stomach. i hate ufc with a passion, it cant ever be and wont be nearly as big as boxing.

i was in the restroom and hear over the speaker, "and he takes him down with a left hook" so im thinkin boxing and start listening. " and then he mounts him" i nearly throw up.

its a sad sad sad thing.

Have you seen the PPV numbers this year? Its just as big if not bigger than boxing. After De La Hoya and Mayweather fight in May boxing will become almost extinct. There just isnt anymore big names who can draw crowds. Also UFC fighters dont wear underwear (with the exception of Shonie Carter) they wear shorts pretty similar to board shorts.

stxfootballfan
12-07-2006, 12:56 AM
and whats there in ufc? it seriously takes no talent, a bunch of roided up guys, one hit and then theyre down to hugging. ill take my rules with boxing and be straight.

LOL are you serious? You really think it takes no talent to be an MMA fighter? UFC guys are drug tested after their fights same as boxers.

DU_stud04
12-07-2006, 01:03 AM
Have you seen the PPV numbers this year? Its just as big if not bigger than boxing. After De La Hoya and Mayweather fight in May boxing will become almost extinct. There just isnt anymore big names who can draw crowds. Also UFC fighters dont wear underwear (with the exception of Shonie Carter) they wear shorts pretty similar to board shorts. unfortunatly , yes ive seen the ufc fights. theyre crap. hahaha they have them on during the boxing matches at winghouse. they just dont excite me.

NDFootball
12-07-2006, 01:05 AM
and whats there in ufc? it seriously takes no talent, a bunch of roided up guys, one hit and then theyre down to hugging. ill take my rules with boxing and be straight.

The hugging as you call it is actually called grappling and it takes quite a bit of skill. Their "underwear" is usually worn so you don't have an advantage in the grappling with loose clothing. It takes so much more skill to win in MMA than in boxing. Anybody can get in their and start throwing punches at each other. Again I think you must be talking about the WWE or you must be pretty ignorant about MMA.

DU_stud04
12-07-2006, 01:05 AM
LOL are you serious? You really think it takes no talent to be an MMA fighter? UFC guys are drug tested after their fights same as boxers. i dont think it takes talent to be a mma fighter, there isnt any strategy, you go in and its a watered down street fight in a cage. eos.

NDFootball
12-07-2006, 01:07 AM
i dont think it takes talent to be a mma fighter, there isnt any strategy, you go in and its a watered down street fight in a cage. eos.

Go in there and actually do it and come back and tell me that. You won't I promise you.

DU_stud04
12-07-2006, 01:08 AM
The hugging as you call it is actually called grappling and it takes quite a bit of skill. Their "underwear" is usually worn so you don't have an advantage in the grappling with loose clothing. It takes so much more skill to win in MMA than in boxing. Anybody can get in their and start throwing punches at each other. Again I think you must be talking about the WWE or you must be pretty ignorant about MMA. no you cant just go in there throwing punches, cause youll get out boxed and get your butt kicked. i havent watch wrestling since maybe 6th grade, thought it was pretty gay then and still think it is as well. and im not talkin about wwe or whatever it called.

you put your best in mma or ufc whatever its called and then have him go against the best in boxing..... boxer will win.

DU_stud04
12-07-2006, 01:08 AM
Go in there and actually do it and come back and tell me that. You won't I promise you. hoookaayyy.....:rolleyes:

stxfootballfan
12-07-2006, 01:11 AM
unfortunatly , yes ive seen the ufc fights. theyre crap. hahaha they have them on during the boxing matches at winghouse. they just dont excite me.

I can understand if you dont like it because everyone is entitled to their opinion but I wouldnt call them gay or say it doesnt take skill or talent. They are highly skilled and train very hard in many fight styles which includes boxing. I bet if you watch Tito and Chuck fight theres a pretty good chance you would change your mind.

stxfootballfan
12-07-2006, 01:15 AM
no you cant just go in there throwing punches, cause youll get out boxed and get your butt kicked. i havent watch wrestling since maybe 6th grade, thought it was pretty gay then and still think it is as well. and im not talkin about wwe or whatever it called.

you put your best in mma or ufc whatever its called and then have him go against the best in boxing..... boxer will win.

Most MMA fighters are college graduates who go to college on wrestling or martial art scholarships. Once they graduate from college they train in different styles of fighting such as boxing, judo, and muay thai just to name a few. I can guarantee there isnt very many boxers who would step into the ring with an MMA fighter.

NDFootball
12-07-2006, 01:16 AM
no you cant just go in there throwing punches, cause youll get out boxed and get your butt kicked. i havent watch wrestling since maybe 6th grade, thought it was pretty gay then and still think it is as well. and im not talkin about wwe or whatever it called.

A boxer wouldn't know what to do with himself when he couldn't slap around with another guy for 30 minutes and waste time. The boxer would be out before 3 minutes.

stxfootballfan
12-07-2006, 01:20 AM
The Military and SWAT teams are calling these MMA guys in to train them. That must mean something.

pirate4state
12-07-2006, 01:24 AM
I don't know what any of this stuff is. :confused: I don't like wrestling, boxing or that cage fighting stuff. It all seems pointless, but that's just MY opinion. To each his/her own.

Try not to "punch" each other to death while we are sleeping. ;)

DU_stud04
12-07-2006, 02:01 AM
I can understand if dont like it because everyone is entitled to their opinion but I wouldnt call them gay or say it doesnt take skill or talent. They are highly skilled and train very hard in many fight styles which includes boxing. I bet if you watch Tito and Chuck fight theres a pretty good chance you would change your mind. maybe so.

everytime i hear this discussion i hear the same things.

Boxing Fan: MMA? You mean that cage fighting stuff where two guys end up rolling around with each other? That's just gey!!!(usually me)

MMA Fan: Boxing is done...MMA is the future. MMA fighters would own a Boxer is a real 'street' fight!!!(other person at winghouse)

i am more of a traditional person not really wanting to except it as a sport, boxing will always be tops in my book. i dont ever seeing myself being a fan because of the non grey area i have for this topic. one thing I dont like about mma is it is takin alot of the younger fans away from boxing. Younger kids have no patience, They wanna watch the quick UFC fight that usually last 2 or 3 minutes. They dont understand or appreciate a good 10 round boxing match.

boxing for me is big, alot of my friends grew up boxing in the urban areas, dont really hear much about ufc/mma. it would be rare for blacks or latino to talk about a farmboy from the midwest like Matt Hughes and get excited on how he made someone tap out unless you are out in the woods hunting for a possum while yelling "hee haw!" rather than the pacquiao morales jermain taylor, winky wright, de la hoya, mayweather, klitschko and so on.

I was watching george foreman on "Quite Frankly" a while back and he gave a very good summary on the state of heavyweight boxing. He says guys just aren't hungry nowadays as they used to be. They get millions for beating nobody. They get on TV without 10 fights under their belt, which is bad for the industry/the sport.

and now back to the "could a boxer hold his own against a ufc under mma rules?" It would depend on the styles of course. Obviously an mma fighter would get punished if fighting in a boxing setting with boxing rules, lets continue. Certainly in mma there are fighters who are more comfortable as strikers even if they do have some ground skills. If a boxer would come into an mma sanctioned fight against a martial artist who is a conventional striker and does not utilize the ground game, then I would have to give the advantage to the boxer. obviously because thats his "major" while in mma thats just one of the 5 "minors" he is in.

even though i may not show it,....i respect the mma fighter in their different trainings, call them more round if you may, but im a boxing guy.....(and i guess i wont call ufc gay(atleast not here :D ) )

goodnight.

mrescape43
12-07-2006, 10:11 AM
UFC is very entertaining. It is a tough way to make a living. Randy Couture is fun to watch.

District303aPastPlayer
12-07-2006, 10:48 AM
I love UFC... but i would rather watch the Mexican/Asian fighters like Pacquiao, Morales, Barrera than a UFC fight...

but if i am forced to choose between a supermiddle weight/heavy weight fight, and a UFC match... I'll take the UFC...

Rabbit'93
12-07-2006, 11:00 AM
boxing is rigged and corrupt.

Macarthur
12-07-2006, 11:07 AM
Just curious about how many people on the down low enjoy watching UFC and who are your favorite fighters? If you dont what are your reasons?

No.

This is going to sound pretentious, but I just find myself troubled by the violence every time I watch it. It makes me somewhat ill. Is this a sign that our civilization is progressing?

Boosty_Hondo
12-07-2006, 11:17 AM
i love ufc to bad i never get a chance to watch it

Bearkat
12-07-2006, 11:19 AM
I like the old school guys. Royce Gracie and Pat Smith. I think everyone knows of Gracie. Pat Smith fought in UFC II and UFC III.

Boosty_Hondo
12-07-2006, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Bearkat
I like the old school guys. Royce Gracie and Pat Smith. I think everyone knows of Gracie. Pat Smith fought in UFC II and UFC III.

ya gracie was good

Blastoderm55
12-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Macarthur
No.

This is going to sound pretentious, but I just find myself troubled by the violence every time I watch it. It makes me somewhat ill. Is this a sign that our civilization is progressing?

In terms of the early, unregulated UFC, I could agree with you. However, as the sport has evolved, it has become very closely monitored in order to achieve sanctioning, and is now no more violent than any other pro sport. Yes, occasionally blood is drawn, mostly on PPV, but we've all seen worse in the NFL (cleat stomps to the head anyone?) and NBA (riots with fans?) and even MLB (Liddell uses his fists, not a shattered bat). Of course I wouldn't recommend the show for children, but most adults are safe to make the decision for themselves.

Blastoderm55
12-07-2006, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Boosty_Hondo
i love ufc to bad i never get a chance to watch it

Why not? Its on basic cable and dish. UFC Unleashed, tonight at 9 on Spike.

Boosty_Hondo
12-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Why not? Its on basic cable and dish. UFC Unleashed, tonight at 9 on Spike.

because im always at school or studying or partying dont really have time for much tv

District303aPastPlayer
12-07-2006, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Boosty_Hondo
because im always at school or studying or partying dont really have time for much tv

on saturdays when the PPVs are out... you should go with us to watch at Hooters...

Blastoderm55
12-07-2006, 11:39 AM
So have the party while watching the fights tonight. Then, once you're all a bit inebriated, you can try putting each other in the rear-naked choke or a nice armbar.

Boosty_Hondo
12-07-2006, 12:53 PM
on saturdays when the PPVs are out... you should go with us to watch at Hooters...

i should they have some nice...ehh..tv's there

stxfootballfan
12-07-2006, 01:19 PM
No.

Blastoderm is correct on all points he makes. I would also like to add I believe football is a very violent sport and Pulp Fiction is a very violent movie.

Dont forget Dec 13 on Spike Diego Sanchez vs Jor Riggs,along with Josh Koscheck, Karo Parisyan, and Shonie Carter on the undercard!

Blastoderm55
12-07-2006, 01:28 PM
Dont forget Dec 13 on Spike Diego Sanchez vs Jor Riggs,along with Josh Koscheck, Karo Parisyan, and Shonie Carter on the undercard!

Fight Night next week? Cool. Diego looked good in his last match. Still not in the league of St. Pierre or Hughes, but I think he'll get there eventually.

stxfootballfan
12-07-2006, 01:33 PM
I agree, it looks like St. Pierre is in a league of his own after that Matt Hughes fight. The only person I see giving St Pierre trouble right now would be BJ Penn. Matt hughes was getting his butt kicked for 2 rounds by Penn, untill Penn seperated a Rib.

Macarthur
12-07-2006, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
In terms of the early, unregulated UFC, I could agree with you. However, as the sport has evolved, it has become very closely monitored in order to achieve sanctioning, and is now no more violent than any other pro sport. Yes, occasionally blood is drawn, mostly on PPV, but we've all seen worse in the NFL (cleat stomps to the head anyone?) and NBA (riots with fans?) and even MLB (Liddell uses his fists, not a shattered bat). Of course I wouldn't recommend the show for children, but most adults are safe to make the decision for themselves.

Not trying to argue, Blast, but you really can't compare the NFL, NBA & MLB to UFC. All of those instances you recite are extremely rare unprecedented events, and they are not the "point" of the game. The point of UFC is to beat the hell out of another human with your fists.

Macarthur
12-07-2006, 02:29 PM
Blastoderm is correct on all points he makes. I would also like to add I believe football is a very violent sport and Pulp Fiction is a very violent movie.

Pulp Fiction is a movie! That, to me, can be one of the troubling things, espciall for young folks. Too many kids these days have a difficult time seperating fiction from reality.

Football hits can be violent, but the point of the sport is not violence for the sake of violence. It is an athletic endeavor.

Again, I'm not trying to argue with you guys, but I think it's very wrong to equate UFC with Football or anyother "sport" with the exception of boxing.

elgatonegro67
12-07-2006, 03:17 PM

hahah dude i know you are entitled to your own opinion but if you've never tryed it then i dunno what to tell you....when i first started to watch i thought it was lame the guy on his back holding him in a triangle defense really looks like they are banging.....my brother had trained in MMA for a while and one day i was talking smack to him about how gay it looks and he told me to go with him to the gym he introduced me to his trainer and his trainer told me if i really thought it looks so gay for me to step in there with any of his fighters and see how easy it really is so i picked the smallest one me being a big guy and all and well i was looking foward to just stand up fighting (boxing)and well he took me to the ground and within seconds had me in a leg crank and i was yelling and tapping out really fast...now after training in MMA now for 2 years i have learned that alot of the stuff that looks gay is really hard on your body to hold in that postion for long periods of time...like when they just lay there looking like nothing is happening that takes a toll on your body man it.... drains you out .....i went in weighing 245 (before i trained) i now weigh about 185 and i am in the best shape of my life....i will give boxers this there cardeal ( i cant spell) is one of the best ways of getting your body into shape (thats what we use) but if a boxer will step in a ring with me in a NHB (no hold bar) fight i gurantee i will beat him 9 out of 10 times ....but hey maybe one day you should try it...

DU_stud04
12-07-2006, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by elgatonegro67
hahah dude i know you are entitled to your own opinion but if you've never tryed it then i dunno what to tell you....when i first started to watch i thought it was lame the guy on his back holding him in a triangle defense really looks like they are banging.....my brother had trained in MMA for a while and one day i was talking smack to him about how gay it looks and he told me to go with him to the gym he introduced me to his trainer and his trainer told me if i really thought it looks so gay for me to step in there with any of his fighters and see how easy it really is so i picked the smallest one me being a big guy and all and well i was looking foward to just stand up fighting (boxing)and well he took me to the ground and within seconds had me in a leg crank and i was yelling and tapping out really fast...now after training in MMA now for 2 years i have learned that alot of the stuff that looks gay is really hard on your body to hold in that postion for long periods of time...like when they just lay there looking like nothing is happening that takes a toll on your body man it.... drains you out .....i went in weighing 245 (before i trained) i now weigh about 185 and i am in the best shape of my life....i will give boxers this there cardeal ( i cant spell) is one of the best ways of getting your body into shape (thats what we use) but if a boxer will step in a ring with me in a NHB (no hold bar) fight i gurantee i will beat him 9 out of 10 times ....but hey maybe one day you should try it... read my last post on page 2.

elgatonegro67
12-07-2006, 11:22 PM
read my last post on page 2.

my bad thats the only post that you posted that i didnt read lol it looked to long but i read it now lol ...once again my bad

VanKampen
12-08-2006, 12:22 PM

its a sad sad sad thing.
yeah ufc is gay but a sport where 22 men run around and get all hot and sweaty and then jump on each other and grab private parts in things called "dogpiles" isnt gay.

Blastoderm55
12-08-2006, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by VanKampen
yeah ufc is gay but a sport where 22 men run around and get all hot and sweaty and then jump on each other and grab private parts in things called "dogpiles" isnt gay.

Hah, not to mention slaps on the butt, communal dressing room and group showering. Yeah, nothing gayer than UFC. :p :rolleyes:

stxfootballfan
12-08-2006, 01:35 PM
Pulp Fiction is a movie! That, to me, can be one of the troubling things, espciall for young folks. Too many kids these days have a difficult time seperating fiction from reality.

Football hits can be violent, but the point of the sport is not violence for the sake of violence. It is an athletic endeavor.

Again, I'm not trying to argue with you guys, but I think it's very wrong to equate UFC with Football or anyother "sport" with the exception of boxing.

I just have to disagree with you. Football is a violent sport. Watch any game with Roy Williams, John Lynch, Rodney Harrison, and Ray Lewis just to name a few. Ask guys like Troy Aikman, Steve Young, Jerome Bettis, and Tiki Barber. In the NFL if you stop play due to a concussion or being knocked unconscious you have to sit out one play. In the UFC if you are injured you are automatically suspended 90 days. You know as well as I do every defenensive player is on the field waiting to get his big hit.

mrescape43
12-08-2006, 01:43 PM
I just have to disagree with you. Football is a violent sport. Watch any game with Roy Williams, John Lynch, Rodney Harrison, and Ray Lewis just to name a few. Ask guys like Troy Aikman, Steve Young, Jerome Bettis, and Tiki Barber. In the NFL if you stop play due to a concussion or being knocked unconscious you have to sit out one play. In the UFC if you are injured you are automatically suspended 90 days. You know as well as I do every defenensive player is on the field waiting to get his big hit.

You are more apt to be injured in UFC than in football. Indeed football is a violent sport but players wear some very good protective gear.

stxfootballfan
12-08-2006, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by mrescape43
You are more apt to be injured in UFC than in football. Indeed football is a violent sport but players wear some very good protective gear.

0 serious or life threatening injuries and 0 deaths in UFC. I know its only been around about 10-15 yrs but thats still a long time. The discussion was he said he didnt watch UFC because of the violence but football is a violent sport as well.

Macarthur
12-08-2006, 02:33 PM
I said football can be violent, but it's not violence for the sake of violence. The "object" of football versus UFC is very different. Surely you can see that...?

stxfootballfan
12-08-2006, 03:00 PM
I said football can be violent, but it's not violence for the sake of violence. The "object" of football versus UFC is very different. Surely you can see that...?

Yeah I get what your saying, im just giving you a hard time. Im a huge NFL and UFC fan. Do you enjoy watching boxing?

District303aPastPlayer
12-09-2006, 06:12 PM
is there a PPV tonight too?

DU_stud04
12-09-2006, 07:03 PM
is there a PPV tonight too? there is ppv boxing tonight :D

halfnhalf
12-09-2006, 07:42 PM
I was always a fan of Tank Abbott and Vitor Belfort. In my opinion Pride Fight is better than UFC. Fedor Emeliananko could beat anyone in the UFC hands down.

Blastoderm55
12-09-2006, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by halfnhalf
I was always a fan of Tank Abbott and Vitor Belfort. In my opinion Pride Fight is better than UFC. Fedor Emeliananko could beat anyone in the UFC hands down.

I don't care much for Pride. All I hear is Fedor this, and Wanderlei that. Pride pays so much that they sure as hell better have better fighters. Funny that the company might go under soon or sell (to WWE of all people) because of those ridiculous salaries. UFC heavyweights suck, so I'll concede Fedor, but I'll take UFC's light-heavyweights, welterweights, and middle-weights any day.

halfnhalf
12-09-2006, 08:35 PM
True, but a lot of UFC fighters fight in Pride also.

Macarthur
12-11-2006, 12:07 PM
Yeah I get what your saying, im just giving you a hard time. Im a huge NFL and UFC fan. Do you enjoy watching boxing?

I used to enjoy boxing. In the last 15 years, it has been a joke.

3afan
12-11-2006, 12:11 PM
UFC is lame .... all they do is wrestle with an occasional punch ....

Blastoderm55
12-11-2006, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
UFC is lame .... all they do is wrestle with an occasional punch .... .

Do yourself a favor and order the Liddell/Ortiz fight on the 30th. Best $39.95 money can buy.

3afan
12-11-2006, 12:15 PM
ha - no thanks ........

Rabbit'93
12-11-2006, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
UFC is lame .... all they do is wrestle with an occasional punch .... IMO UFC is great.

DU_stud04
12-11-2006, 12:30 PM
only bad thing to have come to boxing has been don king. him and his fro' decided that he wanted to make more belts and charge to hold them.....to over all make more money for the industry. its alot of bs and thats probly the only aspect of the sport i dislike. he has helped shape boxing to the way it is, but now it all about the money, you dont have the hungry fighters anymore. its a shame. id say its a damn shame. but id still pick boxing over ufc :D