PDA

View Full Version : Robinson burning path through playoffs

stxfootballfan
12-06-2006, 10:31 PM
From www.caller.com

Ingleside's next foe relying on arm, legs of its QB Kitchens

By JAVIER BECERRA Caller-Times
December 6, 2006

Brian Lewis couldn't be more content right now.

That's because the Waco Robinson coach has had little to worry about the past three weeks. Not only have the 11-2 Rockets equaled the school record for victories in a season, it's happened at an alarming pace.

"We've been fortunate," said Lewis, whose team is averaging 44 points per game as it prepares for Friday night's Class 3A Division I state semifinal against Ingleside (12-1) at New Braunfels Canyon's Cougar Stadium.

"The team has been pretty explosive lately and we've been able to put up some points," he said. "Things are going good for us."

Not so much for their opponents.

Robinson opened the postseason by thrashing 2005 Division II state finalist Hutto 49-27. The Rockets beat Palestine 41-35 the following week before trouncing West Columbia 42-16 last Friday to claim the Region III championship - their best performance so far.

Playing at Kyle Field in College Station, Robinson burned the Roughnecks for 437 total yards (306 rushing, 131 passing). Four different players scored to help the Rockets take a 27-0 lead early in the second quarter.

Quarterback Randy Kitchens led the assault by rushing for 141 yards and two touchdowns and passing for 120 yards and another score. Running back Keenan Alford added 122 yards rushing and a touchdown.

Receiver B.J. Lewis finished with three catches for 68 yards, one of those a 30-yard pass from Kitchens for the game's first points. Running back Seth Mogavero chipped in with two touchdowns, one rushing and one receiving.

Ingleside coach Graig Hesseltine and his staff finished their scouting report on Robinson on Sunday afternoon and noticed several similarities between the Mustangs and Rockets.

"They're a whole lot like us," Hesseltine said. "They try to put their athletes in a good situation and try to get their playmakers the ball."

Most of the time, it's Kitchens.

The 6-foot-3, 190-pound senior runs the 40-yard dash in 4.7 seconds and is listed as a Division I college prospect, although Kitchens has yet to receive any offers. He has passed for 1,819 yards and 14 touchdowns and leads the team in rushing with 1,206 yards and 19 scores, making him a serious dual threat.

"We're a shotgun spread no-huddle team and probably run the ball as much as we throw it," Lewis said. "We have a couple of running backs that carry the ball pretty equally, but the quarterback is probably the guy that makes it all go."

Hesseltine knows the Mustangs have plenty more to deal with than just Kitchens.

"They're a real sound team," he said. "Their quarterback is very athletic and they have quality receivers. They have a solid group of athletes."

G-P King
12-06-2006, 11:22 PM
I N G L E S I D E M U S T A N G S !