PDA

View Full Version : Vernon & Abilene = Good Football Town

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-06-2006, 08:05 PM
Just a note for those around the state:

Like Abilene I believe two years ago. (Abilene High & Wylie)

Vernon has two teams still in the playoffs. The Vernon Lions which many on this board are familiar with. But we also have Vernon Northside which will be competing in the 6 man semi-finals this Friday. I believe this is as far as a team has ever gone from Northside. (I could be wrong, but I'm almost sure). Both my father and brother played at Northside which is about 12 miles north of Vernon.

Anyway, we have some great football going on in Vernon!

Go Lions & Go Indians!!!!!

JasonTX
12-06-2006, 09:53 PM
Northside is on a roll. I went a watched them last week and they got some weopons. You know within a 60 mile radius we have some good teams who could go a long way. This area seems to be the location for some good football. We don't have a 5A team around here but we could get some state champs. Check this out. Teams still competing.

4A. Wichita Falls Rider Raiders
3A. Vernon Lions
2A Holliday Eagles
1A Windthorst Trojans and Electra Tigers
6-man Vernon Northside Indians

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-06-2006, 09:54 PM
Is Electra still in?

injuredinmelee
12-06-2006, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by JasonTX
Northside is on a roll. I went a watched them last week and they got some weopons. You know within a 60 mile radius we have some good teams who could go a long way. This area seems to be the location for some good football. We don't have a 5A team around here but we could get some state champs. Check this out. Teams still competing.

4A. Wichita Falls Rider Raiders
3A. Vernon Lions
2A Holliday Eagles
1A Windthorst Trojans and Electra Tigers
6-man Vernon Northside Indians

I watched Northside in their first round game destruction of Moran. Lots of speed and quickness.

JasonTX
12-06-2006, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
Is Electra still in?

Yes, they are playing Windthorst on Friday at 7:30 at Memorial Stadium.

Lion92
12-06-2006, 11:03 PM
Its been a long long time since Northside has been this good, Saw them twice this year and they are very dangerous offensively. Go Indians

wyliegrad04
12-06-2006, 11:24 PM
Vernon & Abilene = also good 3A TENNIS towns!! haha

just had to add that in ... Vernon or Wylie has won the team tennis state championship since 2001, with Wylie winning 4 of those (2002, 2004, 2005, & 2006) and Vernon winning 2 (2001, 2003) beating Wylie in the finals both years ... I think Vernon also won in 2000, but that was Adidas' year, before my time ...

and numerous individual state tennis titles ...

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-07-2006, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by wyliegrad04

just had to add that in ... Vernon or Wylie has won the team tennis state championship since 2001, with Wylie winning 4 of those (2002, 2004, 2005, & 2006) and Vernon winning 2 (2001, 2003) beating Wylie in the finals both years ... I think Vernon also won in 2000, but that was Adidas' year, before my time ...

Absolutly. The school district here in Vernon spent some money this past year building some additional courts. Very nice. Both programs produce some great tennis players.

wyliegrad04
12-07-2006, 09:22 AM
Absolutly. The school district here in Vernon spent some money this past year building some additional courts. Very nice. Both programs produce some great tennis players.

How many courts are they up to now? I don't ever remember playing there, I know we played in Vernon once against Lubbock Coronado but I don't think we played at the high school ...

I don't even know anyone left on the Vernon team besides Lehman ... only because I played with his brother, Roy. Are there any Cliftons still playing? I know Kyle had a sister but don't know how old ... seems like Kyle and I played singles or doubles 20 times against each other in those four years.

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-07-2006, 08:58 PM
How many courts are they up to now? I don't ever remember playing there, I know we played in Vernon once against Lubbock Coronado but I don't think we played at the high school ...

I don't even know anyone left on the Vernon team besides Lehman ... only because I played with his brother, Roy. Are there any Cliftons still playing? I know Kyle had a sister but don't know how old ... seems like Kyle and I played singles or doubles 20 times against each other in those four years.

Kellie Clifton graduated this past year. What an athlete she was. The Clifton parents were out a lot of money on letterman jacket patches!

I don't know if there are any more Lehman's or Clifton's left in school. They both come from very good famlies though. I know they sure had some battles with Wylie.

My son's good friend Karen Z. had some battles with Wylie also, I think she took silver at state last year in doubles (could have been mixed doubles, I can't recall). But I think we lost to a pair from Wylie.

VWG
12-07-2006, 11:04 PM
Kellie Clifton graduated this past year. What an athlete she was. The Clifton parents were out a lot of money on letterman jacket patches!

I don't know if there are any more Lehman's or Clifton's left in school. They both come from very good famlies though. I know they sure had some battles with Wylie.

My son's good friend Karen Z. had some battles with Wylie also, I think she took silver at state last year in doubles (could have been mixed doubles, I can't recall). But I think we lost to a pair from Wylie.

Isn't Bryce Clifton still at Vernon? Kid is a pitcher on the baseball team?

Stownhorse
12-07-2006, 11:12 PM
Lets all just brag on our hometowns

injuredinmelee
12-08-2006, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
Lets all just brag on our hometowns

need something to brag about... oh yeah and it has to be recent... lol

VERNONLION#1
12-08-2006, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by VWG
Isn't Bryce Clifton still at Vernon? Kid is a pitcher on the baseball team?

That's correct VWG. He is really good on the mound. Are you gonna be able to make the game on Sat?

Dominicfrank
12-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Vernon and Wylie do go way back. I graduated in 95 before Wylie was good at tennis but had a brother graduate last year when Vernon placed third at State. In my day we won one title and finished second three times but our main opp was Mason, yeah 2A mason, they had a great stretch and 3A and down were in the same tourenament. Now I dont think Mason is doing that well. I just remember Wylie being a great athletic's school but with always rumors of how they got to that point and now it is how they are still 3A. After watching Ed Cherry, years ago, get called for Pass interference at the end of the game on 4th down to allow Wylie one more chance that would ultimatley beat us, I will never like Wylie and cant seem to let it go. There are tennis things too but I wont spoil this thread on them. I am sure theere are nice Wylie people but as far as I am concerned I hope they never win anything again in 3A.

Adidas410s
12-08-2006, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Dominicfrank
Vernon and Wylie do go way back. I graduated in 95 before Wylie was good at tennis but had a brother graduate last year when Vernon placed third at State. In my day we won one title and finished second three times but our main opp was Mason, yeah 2A mason, they had a great stretch and 3A and down were in the same tourenament. Now I dont think Mason is doing that well. I just remember Wylie being a great athletic's school but with always rumors of how they got to that point and now it is how they are still 3A. After watching Ed Cherry, years ago, get called for Pass interference at the end of the game on 4th down to allow Wylie one more chance that would ultimatley beat us, I will never like Wylie and cant seem to let it go. There are tennis things too but I wont spoil this thread on them. I am sure theere are nice Wylie people but as far as I am concerned I hope they never win anything again in 3A.
I'll spoil the thread. What tennis things are you referring to? Come on now...if you're going to bring it up then put it out there.

Also, which Wylie/Vernon game are you referring to with the pass intereference call? I remember beating Vernon @ Wylie in 1998. Is that the game you are referring to? Just FYI...the officials in EVERY playoff game are 1) agreed upon by both coaches and 2) would never come from the Abilene or Wichita Falls chapters in a Wylie/Vernon matchup.

Adidas410s
12-08-2006, 12:24 PM

yes Vernon won in 2000 and 2001. We lost to Vernon in the finals in both 2000 (10-7) and 2001 (10-9). RMAC was also on the team that lost to them in 2003 in what I consider one of the biggest upsets in 3A tennis history after Wylie had destroyed Vernon at regionals! ;)

sweetwater07
12-08-2006, 02:21 PM

but Wylie nor Vernon had a singles tennis title while Luke Hawk from Clyde was in school...that guy was amazing..never saw him lose..and only gave up like 4 games at last years state tourney...WOW

Adidas410s
12-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
but Wylie nor Vernon had a singles tennis title while Luke Hawk from Clyde was in school...that guy was amazing..never saw him lose..and only gave up like 4 games at last years state tourney...WOW

lucky for him that he wasn't about 4 or 5 years older. He wouldn't have beaten the top guys from Wylie and Vernon then! ;)

sweetwater07
12-08-2006, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
lucky for him that he wasn't about 4 or 5 years older. He wouldn't have beaten the top guys from Wylie and Vernon then! ;)

IDK..if my memory serves me correctly he won state every year he was in high school...got a brother playing pros and his sis is number 1 at ACU..a very good program i might add....i also believe his parents are ex pro. players.....that guy is amazing......

me and my doubles partner barely lost a few years back to Wylie in district like.. 7-5, 5-7, 4-6...

Snyder_TigerFan
12-08-2006, 02:34 PM
me and my doubles partner barely lost a few years back to Wylie in district like.. 7-5, 5-7, 4-6...

Are you playing as the #2 or #3 doubles team?;)

RMAC
12-08-2006, 02:39 PM
IDK..if my memory serves me correctly he won state every year he was in high school...got a brother playing pros and his sis is number 1 at ACU..a very good program i might add....i also believe his parents are ex pro. players.....that guy is amazing......

He should have gone his freshman year, but lost to Roy Lehman from Vernon is the regional finals, then cramped up in the playback and ended up losing to the biggest tool bag in the history of the game. I thought he should have gone that year and more than likely would've ended up playing Roy again. I don't think his brother is playing anymore on the tour. And his sister is hot. But of course that's a given, she goes to ACU.

Adidas410s
12-08-2006, 02:40 PM

His oldest brother (Dustin) won state 2 times in 3A and played 3 years at ACU and 1 @ Tech. Brandon won 2 national titles, played 2 years at Texas (All American his freshman year) then turned pro for a few years before retiring due to injuries. Ashley and I are the same age. She made it to state her senior year before losing in the semis. She played at ACU but was never #1. His dad was a rodeo guy before Hawk Portable Buildings came along. His name is Endgate Hawk. Kind of an unusual name and a pretty funny story behind it.

Yes Luke did win state 3 times (he lost at regionals as a freshman) in 3A but after 2003 the talent level in 3A dropped WAY off from what it had been in the years before that. Case in point, with the exception of 1...maybe 2 guys that have played at Wylie since 2003...none of those kids would have been in the Top 6 or 7 on any of the teams from 1999-2002. If you look at the 3A brackets from 99-02 you'll find them full of super champs kids. Go look now...and you'll find that the Wylie girls are in supers and usually 1 or 2 kids at most from other schools are in supers. The talent has all moved to the big cities in recent years. Look at Mason...they used be filled with kids that were in super champs and would dominate in 3A tennis but their talent level has dropped WAY off and (though they still win in 2A) they are no longer able to compete in what is a weak 3A. When Wylie's girls can lose 1 set in 31 completed matches at the state team tournament...then you know that 3A tennis is nowhere near what it used to be. :(