PDA

View Full Version : Does It Bother Anyone Else??

ILS1
12-06-2006, 03:46 PM
I think this was mentioned awhile back and can't remember the results. But does anyone else feel this way. At a recent playoff game. During the national anthem,both teams are facing the flag,lined up one by one with their right hand on their teammates right shoulder. Then right towards the end of the anthem,like the last 3 or 4 bars,BOTH teams start to slap each others shoulder pad with their right hand. But to me I think that's VERY disrespectful to the flag and the anthem. Why do they do this? When and who started this stupid tradition? What purpose does it serve by doing this? I'm glad our school doesn't do this because I would complain to the HC. Ok..........rant over!!! What does everyone else think??

:D :D

Adidas410s
12-06-2006, 03:49 PM
I agree. Then again...90% of the people in the stands these days don't even put their hand over their hearts.

Old Tiger
12-06-2006, 03:50 PM
I don't think it is but in this day and age everything is disrespectful or un-american.

ILS1
12-06-2006, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
I don't think it is but in this day and age everything is disrespectful or un-american.

Ok,your young. Why do they do this??

Old Tiger
12-06-2006, 03:53 PM
I don't know...It was like that my first year on varsity and was like it ever since.

buff4ever
12-06-2006, 04:08 PM
I don't really know what to think, but it seems fine with me. They are looking towards the flat with their helmets to there side. To me it kinda makes me think that the are reminding themselves that they (we are UNITED) and that someone is still behind them. CHEESY and probably not it, but I am trying to give it an excuse.

CHS_CG
12-06-2006, 04:22 PM
its not disrespectful to me at all. To me its a sign they are gettin pumped up. Every fan in our stands stands up removes their hands and puts their hand over their heart durning also.

Blastoderm55
12-06-2006, 04:48 PM
Do they do it in rhythm with the cymbal crashes? I don't see the problem. The song get them pumped up. Its great that they enjoy the anthem and use it as a song of celebration rather than a relic that they feel obligated to mourn.

Adidas4I0s
12-06-2006, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
Every fan in our stands stands up removes their hands

really??? What's in the water in Caldwell??? ;)

Ranger Mom
12-06-2006, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
Every fan in our stands stands up removes their hands

That's GOTTA hurt!!!

neck_06
12-06-2006, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by ILS1
Ok,your young. Why do they do this??

they were doing it my first year on varsity too. every team we played did it too. i personally don't have a problem with it. its just like putting your hand on another guy's shoulder when praying instead of holding hands.

wimbo_pro
12-06-2006, 06:58 PM
Not disrespectful at all...its perfectly OK by me. And its my favorite part of the game too!!!!

GreenMonster
12-06-2006, 07:11 PM
I still get cold chills that run down my spine whenever I hear the last few bars of the National Anthem. I never got that chill until I had been exposed to the Friday night lights. I'm undecided as to whether it is disrespectful or not. I'll say that I have seen it. I'll also say that I never participated in such action. I never gave it any thought, so I'd have to say it didn't bother me.

awizzy
12-06-2006, 07:14 PM
during yes after like we use to do no

carter08
12-06-2006, 07:16 PM
It shows team unity
I think

Emerson1
12-06-2006, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by neck_06
they were doing it my first year on varsity too. every team we played did it too. i personally don't have a problem with it. its just like putting your hand on another guy's shoulder when praying instead of holding hands.
I don't think he has a problem with them just having their hands on each other shoulders, it's that they are slapping them towards the end.

If it was during the entire anthem then it would be disrespectful, but the last verse or so everyone in the stadium usually starts to cheer. Most places you can't even hear from, "O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave."